Embedded smalltalk

bobvoigt
I am wondering if Squeak or any other smalltalk can be used in embedded controllers.

Bob Voigt

Re: Embedded smalltalk

Roel Wuyts
What kind of controllers ? Embedded lately spans from chip-cards to
iPacs :-)

On 08 Aug 2006, at 10:33, [hidden email] wrote:

> I am wondering if Squeak or any other smalltalk can be used in
> embedded controllers.
>
> Bob Voigt

Re: Embedded smalltalk

啸然
It's interesting topic. There are large numbers of embedded cpu, like ARM.......
But, the GC of Smalltalk is not realtime, it's a big problem for realtime control.

2006/8/8, [hidden email] <[hidden email]>:
I am wondering if Squeak or any other smalltalk can be used in embedded controllers.

Bob Voigt

<a onclick="return top.js.OpenExtLink(window,event,this)" href="http://lists.squeakfoundation.org/mailman/listinfo/beginners" target="_blank">http://lists.squeakfoundation.org/mailman/listinfo/beginners

Re: Embedded smalltalk

Xinyu Liu
Hi,

In fact Tektronix using smalltalk to control their oscilloscopes.
Here is the reference:
http://www.smalltalkconsulting.com/html/SmalltalkSolutions2001%234.html
"Simple things like CRC cards came out of Tektronix, A long time ago that company did the OS for Oscilloscopes using Smalltalk and 512k of ram. "

Regards.
Liu.
On 8/8/06, 啸然 <[hidden email]> wrote:
It's interesting topic. There are large numbers of embedded cpu, like ARM.......
But, the GC of Smalltalk is not realtime, it's a big problem for realtime control.

2006/8/8, [hidden email] <[hidden email]>:
I am wondering if Squeak or any other smalltalk can be used in embedded controllers.

Bob Voigt

<a onclick="return top.js.OpenExtLink(window,event,this)" href="http://lists.squeakfoundation.org/mailman/listinfo/beginners" target="_blank">http://lists.squeakfoundation.org/mailman/listinfo/beginners

Re: Re: Embedded smalltalk

Ralph Johnson
On 8/8/06, 啸然 <[hidden email]> wrote:
> But, the GC of Smalltalk is not realtime, it's a big problem for realtime
> control.

The GC of Squeak is not realtime, but people have made Smalltalks with
realtime memory management.

The original OTI Smalltalk, which morphed into IBM's VisualAge for
Smalltalk, was real-time.  When OTI reengineered it for IBM, one of
the first things they did was write a faster, but non-realtime,
garbage collector.

See http://www.oovm.com/ for a commercial system that might see the
light of day.  I played with it a bit and it was pretty nice, though
they changed the langauge to improve its performance on very small
machines.

Re: Embedded smalltalk

Klaus D. Witzel
Heh, nice find. Thank you Ralph for the pointer.

/Klaus

On Tue, 08 Aug 2006 12:43:14 +0200, Ralph Johnson wrote:

> On 8/8/06, 啸然 <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> But, the GC of Smalltalk is not realtime, it's a big problem for
>> realtime
>> control.
>
> The GC of Squeak is not realtime, but people have made Smalltalks with
> realtime memory management.
>
> The original OTI Smalltalk, which morphed into IBM's VisualAge for
> Smalltalk, was real-time.  When OTI reengineered it for IBM, one of
> the first things they did was write a faster, but non-realtime,
> garbage collector.
>
> See http://www.oovm.com/ for a commercial system that might see the
> light of day.  I played with it a bit and it was pretty nice, though
> they changed the langauge to improve its performance on very small
> machines.

Re: Embedded smalltalk

Edward Stow

http://www.huv.com/uSeeker/smalltalk/index.html