Empty top level class category

Sean P. DeNigris
Administrator
If you load slice 6657 "[ENH] Spec Request : make nextFocus / previousFocus Keymapping-based", there will be an extra, empty Spec-Tools category created, causing Spec-Tools to be marked dirty in the MC Browser.
Cheers,
Sean

Re: Empty top level class category

Benjamin Van Ryseghem (Pharo)
Yep, I experienced that, and then you are more or less screwed, you can't load a new version :S

Ben

On Feb 10, 2013, at 8:21 PM, "Sean P. DeNigris" <[hidden email]> wrote:

If you load slice 6657 "[ENH] Spec Request : make nextFocus / previousFocus
Keymapping-based", there will be an extra, empty Spec-Tools category
created, causing Spec-Tools to be marked dirty in the MC Browser.

Re: Empty top level class category

Sean P. DeNigris
Administrator
Issue 7478: [BUG]: Empty top level class category creation

Tracked it down to starting with the following update...
20526
-----

 Issue 7284 : Cannot run gofer load twice => Error: cannot remove non empty category
        http://code.google.com/p/pharo/issues/detail?can=2&q=7284

(part 1)

Diff information:
http://ss3.gemstone.com/ss/Pharo20/RPackage-Core-EstebanLorenzano.209.diff
Cheers,
Sean

Re: Empty top level class category

stephane ducasse
This bug is a vicious one and today I saw it again when I wanted to load the version of stefan of phexample
on top of the version of squeaksource.

It will keep us busy….. argh

Stef

> Issue 7478: [BUG]: Empty top level class category creation
>
> Tracked it down to starting with the following update...
> 20526
> -----
>
> Issue 7284 : Cannot run gofer load twice => Error: cannot remove non empty
> category
>        http://code.google.com/p/pharo/issues/detail?can=2&q=7284
>
> (part 1)
>
> Diff information:
> http://ss3.gemstone.com/ss/Pharo20/RPackage-Core-EstebanLorenzano.209.diff

Re: Empty top level class category

Sean P. DeNigris
Administrator
From the issue...

This doesn't look right to me...
Item was changed:
  ----- Method: RPackageSet>>systemCategories (in category 'system compatibility') -----systemCategories
+ ^systemCategories ifNil: [ systemCategories := (self packages collect: #packageName) asSet asArray].!
- ^systemCategories ifNil: [ systemCategories := (self collectFromAllPackages: #systemCategories) asSet asArray].!

system categories ~= packages. RPackage has a 'Spec-Tools' package, even though there is no such system category.
Cheers,
Sean

Re: Empty top level class category

stephane ducasse
do you have a reproducible case?

Stef

On Feb 10, 2013, at 9:50 PM, "Sean P. DeNigris" <[hidden email]> wrote:

> From the issue...
>
> This doesn't look right to me...
> Item was changed:
>  ----- Method: RPackageSet>>systemCategories (in category 'system
> compatibility') -----systemCategories
> + ^systemCategories ifNil: [ systemCategories := (self packages collect:
> #packageName) asSet asArray].!
> - ^systemCategories ifNil: [ systemCategories := (self
> collectFromAllPackages: #systemCategories) asSet asArray].!
>
> system categories ~= packages. RPackage has a 'Spec-Tools' package, even
> though there is no such system category.

Re: Empty top level class category

Sean P. DeNigris
Administrator
(RPackageSet named: 'Spec-Tools') systemCategories includes: #'Spec-Tools'.
false before 20526, true thereafter
Cheers,
Sean

Re: Empty top level class category

EstebanLM
yeah, but if you look there, it cannot be that the problem... because the change I applied in 526 was just temporal, is not there anymore (or shouldn't be there).

On Feb 10, 2013, at 9:57 PM, "Sean P. DeNigris" <[hidden email]> wrote:

> (RPackageSet named: 'Spec-Tools') systemCategories includes: #'Spec-Tools'.
> false before 20526, true thereafter

Re: Empty top level class category

Sean P. DeNigris
Administrator
EstebanLM wrote
yeah, but if you look there, it cannot be that the problem... because the change I applied in 526 was just temporal, is not there anymore (or shouldn't be there).
From the issue:
You are right... On to the next culprit...

Item was changed:
  ----- Method: MCPackage>>snapshot (in category 'accessing') -----snapshot
+ categories := (packageInfo packages collect: #packageName) asArray.
- categories := packageInfo systemCategories.
This is what's causing the packages to appear dirty. Same logic, different place. Do we need this for the non-empty package thing?
Cheers,
Sean

Re: Empty top level class category

Sean P. DeNigris
Administrator
Sean P. DeNigris wrote
(RPackageSet named: 'Spec-Tools') systemCategories includes: #'Spec-Tools'.
false before 20526, true thereafter
make that "false in every version except 20526" ;)
Cheers,
Sean