"Enable Blessings" on squeaksource

Bergel, Alexandre
Hi!

This option appears when registering a project. What does it mean?

Cheers,
Alexandre

Alexandre Bergel  http://www.bergel.eu

Re: "Enable Blessings" on squeaksource

Tom Phoenix
On Jan 14, 2008 10:00 AM, Bergel, Alexandre <[hidden email]> wrote:

> This option appears when registering a project. What does it mean?

I think this has the answer:

    http://lists.squeakfoundation.org/pipermail/squeak-dev/2005-May/091792.html

Cheers!

--Tom Phoenix

Re: "Enable Blessings" on squeaksource

Lukas Renggli
> This option appears when registering a project. What does it mean?

A long long time ago there was a project called 'Unstable Squeak' [1]
that aimed to manage the whole Squeak image in Monticello. A blessed
version marked the HEAD of development. Check the archive for more
information.

I don't think that the blessing mechanism was used in any other
project. I guess it could be removed.

Lukas

[1] http://www.squeaksource.com/uss.html

--
Lukas Renggli
http://www.lukas-renggli.ch

Re: "Enable Blessings" on squeaksource

Janko Mivšek
Maybe blessing can stay if we "rename" a meaning to it: a blessed
version is a current stable one while all other are development or
archive ones.

When we just talk about that, what is a meaning of released versions?
Are releases the stable ones, to be separated from development versions?

Also, it would be nice to have all versions, both released and other
under the Versions tab. Colored rows could then separate released
versions from other.

Now it seems that many people got confused of the meaning of those tabs,
Maybe one sentence of description on top of each tab's page won't be bad
too.

Just few quick proposals ...

Janko

Lukas Renggli wrote:

>> This option appears when registering a project. What does it mean?
>
> A long long time ago there was a project called 'Unstable Squeak' [1]
> that aimed to manage the whole Squeak image in Monticello. A blessed
> version marked the HEAD of development. Check the archive for more
> information.
>
> I don't think that the blessing mechanism was used in any other
> project. I guess it could be removed.
>
> Lukas
>
> [1] http://www.squeaksource.com/uss.html

--
Janko Mivšek
AIDA/Web
Smalltalk Web Application Server
http://www.aidaweb.si

Re: "Enable Blessings" on squeaksource

Lukas Renggli
> When we just talk about that, what is a meaning of released versions?

They are public readable, even if the repository is closed. This is
document in the help section.

> Also, it would be nice to have all versions, both released and other
> under the Versions tab. Colored rows could then separate released
> versions from other.

Colors don't scale. There are people that are color blind. And MC, the
tool I am using squeaksource.com the most with, does not support these
properties.

Cheers,
Lukas

--
Lukas Renggli
http://www.lukas-renggli.ch

Lukas Renggli wrote:

>> When we just talk about that, what is a meaning of released versions?
>
> They are public readable, even if the repository is closed. This is
> document in the help section.
>
>> Also, it would be nice to have all versions, both released and other
>> under the Versions tab. Colored rows could then separate released
>> versions from other.
>
> Colors don't scale. There are people that are color blind. And MC, the
> tool I am using squeaksource.com the most with, does not support these
> properties.

Ok, then bold or something. Just to have all versions on one place both
released and those not yet. And if some version is released or not is
only "property" you need to know.

I'm proposing that from usability perspective, from observing both my
experience and from others. Just a proposal.

Janko