Error loading project with plugin.

Yoandy Rodríguez Martínez

Hello:

First of all thanks to Scott and all who answered my previous post, Scott you were right, I wasn’t including the class in the project change set. I solved it by using the dual change sorter as you said but now when I publish the project the plugin image complains about not knowing MorphExtensionPlus, the thing is that class is supposed to be in the plugin version I’m using.

Any advice will be appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

PD.

And again sorry for my English.

Re: Error loading project with plugin.

Scott Wallace
On Apr 21, 2008, at 6:56 PM, Yoandy Rodriguez Martinez wrote:

> Hello:
> First of all thanks to Scott and all who answered my previous post,
> Scott you were right, I wasn’t including the class in the project
> change set. I solved it by using the dual change sorter as you said
> but now when I publish the project the plugin image complains about
> not knowing MorphExtensionPlus, the thing is that class is supposed
> to be in the plugin version I’m using.
> Any advice will be appreciated.
> Thanks in advance.
>
> PD.
> And again sorry for my English.

Hello again, Yoandy.

Yes, unfortunately the old Squeakland plug-in image is incompatible
with projects created using the "olpc" image.  If you have projects
created with the olpc etoys system, they can for the time being only
be read in successfully into etoys3.0-series images.

A new Squeakland image will be released quite soon which will replace
the old one; it will be based on the etoys3.o image, and it *will* be
fully compatible with projects created on or for the olpc.

Cheers,

-- Scott

RE: Error loading project with plugin.

Yoandy Rodríguez Martínez
Where can I find an squeak plugin compatible image then??? Isn't there a
workaround to that subject??

On Apr 21, 2008, at 7:54 PM, Yoandy Rodriguez Martinez wrote:

> Where can I find an squeak plugin compatible image then??? Isn't
> there a
> workaround to that subject??

If you want to assure compatibility with the old squeakland plug-in,
you need to develop your projects using the old squeakland plug-in
image itself, or else using the "development" version of of the
squeakland plug-in, which can also be obtained from Squeakland.org;

        http://www.squeakland.org/installers/SqueakPluginImage-dev.zip

Note that projects created with the old squeakland plug-in or dev
image are *forward*-compatible, i.e. such projects can be brought
forward and loaded into a current etoys3.0 image.  It's the opposite
direction that doesn't work.

Alternatively, you can continue to develop your projects using a
current olpc/etoys3.0 image, knowing that a new plug-in version of
etoys3.0 is going to be released very soon.  Looking toward the
future, that would likely be the wisest choice.

Cheers,

-- Scott

Jerome Peace
[Squeakland] Error loading project with plugin.
or what do you do with MorphicExtentionPlus when the class isn't there?

Hi Scott, (Hi Yoandy)

I ran into this problem with the olpc image.

On a lucky guess I answered the question about which "modern" class to use to replace "MorphicExtentionPlus"
with  "MorphicExtention" (the old class).
This, to my surprise, worked.
So I took a closer look and saw that so far the ..Plus extentions purpose
was to optimize layout time by making ivars out of properties in the otherProperties dictionary.
By using the old extention the optimization is lost but nothing is really broken.

Maybe someone can formalize this workaround?

Re: re: Error loading project with plugin.

Scott Wallace
On Apr 22, 2008, at 4:08 PM, Jerome Peace wrote:

> [Squeakland] Error loading project with plugin.
> or what do you do with MorphicExtentionPlus when the class isn't
> there?
>
> Hi Scott, (Hi Yoandy)
>
> I ran into this problem with the olpc image.
>
> On a lucky guess I answered the question about which "modern" class
> to use to replace "MorphicExtentionPlus"
> with  "MorphicExtention" (the old class).
> This, to my surprise, worked.
> So I took a closer look and saw that so far the ..Plus extentions
> purpose
> was to optimize layout time by making ivars out of properties in the
> otherProperties dictionary.
> By using the old extention the optimization is lost but nothing is
> really broken.
>
> Maybe someone can formalize this workaround?

While it's true that some projects created in olpc-based images can
indeed be successfully loaded into an old Squeakland plug-image using
the workaround Jerome discovered, most projects will encounter
numerous other roadblocks of a similar nature, none of them as simply
worked around as in the MorphExtensionPlus case.  Every object present
in the project which belongs to a class added or changed during the
past year and a half of intensive development of the etoys system on
the olpc will cause difficulties when you try to load it into the
older image.

-- Scott