Error "opaque URL with no scheme--shouldn't happen!" after updating trunk from 10474 to 10500

Error "opaque URL with no scheme--shouldn't happen!" after updating trunk from 10474 to 10500

Hans-Martin Mosner
Hello,
one of the changes which brought my image from #10474 to 10500 seems to
have introduced a bug in the project switching code, however, I don't
know where the actual problem is.
The symptom is that the error message in the subject is raised in
GenericUrl>>privateInitializeFromText: which is called via several steps
from MorphicProject>>startResourceLoading.
Did anyone else notice this? The bug is only triggered if your project
has resources, of course.

Cheers,
Hans-Martin

Re: Error "opaque URL with no scheme--shouldn't happen!" after updating trunk from 10474 to 10500

Ken Causey-3
On Tue, 2010-09-07 at 23:07 +0200, Hans-Martin Mosner wrote:

> Hello,
> one of the changes which brought my image from #10474 to 10500 seems to
> have introduced a bug in the project switching code, however, I don't
> know where the actual problem is.
> The symptom is that the error message in the subject is raised in
> GenericUrl>>privateInitializeFromText: which is called via several steps
> from MorphicProject>>startResourceLoading.
> Did anyone else notice this? The bug is only triggered if your project
> has resources, of course.
>
> Cheers,
> Hans-Martin

This is exactly what C. A. Oliver's recent Inbox submission is meant to
address

http://lists.squeakfoundation.org/pipermail/squeak-dev/2010-September/153450.html

He brought up the issue on #squeak.  I'm sure he would appreciate any
feedback regarding his solution.

Ken

Re: Error "opaque URL with no scheme--shouldn't happen!" after updating trunk from 10474 to 10500

Frank Shearar
On 2010/09/08 00:15, Ken Causey wrote:

> On Tue, 2010-09-07 at 23:07 +0200, Hans-Martin Mosner wrote:
>> Hello,
>> one of the changes which brought my image from #10474 to 10500 seems to
>> have introduced a bug in the project switching code, however, I don't
>> know where the actual problem is.
>> The symptom is that the error message in the subject is raised in
>> GenericUrl>>privateInitializeFromText: which is called via several steps
>> from MorphicProject>>startResourceLoading.
>> Did anyone else notice this? The bug is only triggered if your project
>> has resources, of course.
>>
>> Cheers,
>> Hans-Martin
>>

> This is exactly what C. A. Oliver's recent Inbox submission is meant to
> address
>
> http://lists.squeakfoundation.org/pipermail/squeak-dev/2010-September/153450.html
>
> He brought up the issue on #squeak.  I'm sure he would appreciate any
> feedback regarding his solution.

There's a quicker test: Do It with: Url absoluteFromText: 'foo'

Up until my submission (which is causing this trouble), "no scheme"
meant "use an HttpUrl".

I can see two ways forward: (a) fix the calling sites like C. A.
Oliver's submission, or (b) add "at: nil put: HttpUrl" in the
SchemeRegistry.

I prefer (a) myself: 'foo' isn't any kind of valid _absolute_ URI.

The Inbox contains Network-fbs.90, which contains (b)'s fix.

frank

Re: Error "opaque URL with no scheme--shouldn't happen!" after updating trunk from 10474 to 10500

Andreas.Raab
On 9/7/2010 11:01 PM, Frank Shearar wrote:

> There's a quicker test: Do It with: Url absoluteFromText: 'foo'
>
> Up until my submission (which is causing this trouble), "no scheme"
> meant "use an HttpUrl".
>
> I can see two ways forward: (a) fix the calling sites like C. A.
> Oliver's submission, or (b) add "at: nil put: HttpUrl" in the
> SchemeRegistry.
>
> I prefer (a) myself: 'foo' isn't any kind of valid _absolute_ URI.
>
> The Inbox contains Network-fbs.90, which contains (b)'s fix.

Perhaps even easier:

        ^SchemeRegistry at: (scheme ifNil:['http']) ifAbsent:[GenericUrl]

Cheers,
   - Andreas

On 2010/09/08 08:04, Andreas Raab wrote:

> On 9/7/2010 11:01 PM, Frank Shearar wrote:
>> There's a quicker test: Do It with: Url absoluteFromText: 'foo'
>>
>> Up until my submission (which is causing this trouble), "no scheme"
>> meant "use an HttpUrl".
>>
>> I can see two ways forward: (a) fix the calling sites like C. A.
>> Oliver's submission, or (b) add "at: nil put: HttpUrl" in the
>> SchemeRegistry.
>>
>> I prefer (a) myself: 'foo' isn't any kind of valid _absolute_ URI.
>>
>> The Inbox contains Network-fbs.90, which contains (b)'s fix.
>
> Perhaps even easier:
>
> ^SchemeRegistry at: (scheme ifNil:['http']) ifAbsent:[GenericUrl]

I prefer this to my submission: it doesn't pollute SchemeRegistry.

Network-fbs.91 contains it.

frank

Re: Error "opaque URL with no scheme--shouldn't happen!" after updating trunk from 10474 to 10500

espin
Hi,
I still have the following applied in my image and I see it is still
not yet in Trunk.
Any core developer willing to commit it?

Hope it helps
Bye
Enrico

--
Enrico Spinielli
"Do Androids dream of electric sheep?"— Philip K. Dick
"Hear and forget; see and remember;do and understand."—Mitchel Resnick

On 2010/12/31 13:59, Enrico Spinielli wrote:
> Hi,
> I still have the following applied in my image and I see it is still
> not yet in Trunk.
> Any core developer willing to commit it?

It's not in the Inbox anymore and you're right, it wasn't applied. I
have a local copy I can put back in the Inbox, if it's convenient? Or if
preferred I can remake the submission based on Network's latest version.

frank

> Hope it helps
> Bye
> Enrico
>
> On Wed, Sep 8, 2010 at 08:31, Frank Shearar
> <[hidden email]>  wrote:

>>> Perhaps even easier:
>>>
>>> ^SchemeRegistry at: (scheme ifNil:['http']) ifAbsent:[GenericUrl]
>>
>> I prefer this to my submission: it doesn't pollute SchemeRegistry.
>>
>> Network-fbs.91 contains it.
>>
>> frank

Re: Error "opaque URL with no scheme--shouldn't happen!" after updating trunk from 10474 to 10500

Levente Uzonyi-2
On Fri, 31 Dec 2010, Frank Shearar wrote:

> On 2010/12/31 13:59, Enrico Spinielli wrote:
>> Hi,
>> I still have the following applied in my image and I see it is still
>> not yet in Trunk.
>> Any core developer willing to commit it?
>
> It's not in the Inbox anymore and you're right, it wasn't applied. I have a
> local copy I can put back in the Inbox, if it's convenient? Or if preferred I
> can remake the submission based on Network's latest version.

I moved it to the treated inbox, because another solution was applied.
SchemeRegistry has HttpUrl at nil, so Url urlClassForScheme: nil should
return HttpUrl.

Levente

On 2010/12/31 16:12, Levente Uzonyi wrote:

> On Fri, 31 Dec 2010, Frank Shearar wrote:
>
>> On 2010/12/31 13:59, Enrico Spinielli wrote:
>>> Hi,
>>> I still have the following applied in my image and I see it is still
>>> not yet in Trunk.
>>> Any core developer willing to commit it?
>>
>> It's not in the Inbox anymore and you're right, it wasn't applied. I
>> have a local copy I can put back in the Inbox, if it's convenient? Or
>> if preferred I can remake the submission based on Network's latest
>> version.
>
> I moved it to the treated inbox, because another solution was applied.
> SchemeRegistry has HttpUrl at nil, so Url urlClassForScheme: nil should
> return HttpUrl.

Right, I see so. My confusion in reconstructing history came from
Andreas suggesting the fix I implemented in Network-fbs.91, after
suggesting we either fix the call sites causing the issue or what you
then did on 2010/10/28, Levente, and then not seeing anything happen
after that (in my possibly too-brief investigation).

(Why, by the way, do we _not_ call super initialize?)

frank

> Levente
>

>> frank
>>

>>> Hope it helps
>>> Bye
>>> Enrico

Re: Error "opaque URL with no scheme--shouldn't happen!" after updating trunk from 10474 to 10500

Levente Uzonyi-2
On Fri, 31 Dec 2010, Frank Shearar wrote:

> On 2010/12/31 16:12, Levente Uzonyi wrote:

>>> It's not in the Inbox anymore and you're right, it wasn't applied. I
>>> have a local copy I can put back in the Inbox, if it's convenient? Or
>>> if preferred I can remake the submission based on Network's latest
>>> version.
>>
>> I moved it to the treated inbox, because another solution was applied.
>> SchemeRegistry has HttpUrl at nil, so Url urlClassForScheme: nil should
>> return HttpUrl.
>
> Right, I see so. My confusion in reconstructing history came from Andreas
> suggesting the fix I implemented in Network-fbs.91, after suggesting we
> either fix the call sites causing the issue or what you then did on
> 2010/10/28, Levente, and then not seeing anything happen after that (in my
> possibly too-brief investigation).
>
> (Why, by the way, do we _not_ call super initialize?)

>From which method?

Levente

On 2011/01/02 11:13, Levente Uzonyi wrote:

> On Fri, 31 Dec 2010, Frank Shearar wrote:

>>> I moved it to the treated inbox, because another solution was applied.
>>> SchemeRegistry has HttpUrl at nil, so Url urlClassForScheme: nil should
>>> return HttpUrl.
>>
>> Right, I see so. My confusion in reconstructing history came from
>> Andreas suggesting the fix I implemented in Network-fbs.91, after
>> suggesting we either fix the call sites causing the issue or what you
>> then did on 2010/10/28, Levente, and then not seeing anything happen
>> after that (in my possibly too-brief investigation).
>>
>> (Why, by the way, do we _not_ call super initialize?)
>
>> From which method?

Url class>>initialize. In a git-like diff we have

+++ SchemeRegistry := Dictionary new
--- super initialize.
--- SchemeRegistry := Dictionary new.
--- SchemeRegistry