Error when saving class comments

Fabian Windheuser
Hello,
Whenever I try to modify and save a class comment I get the following error:
"Error: RemoteString past end of file" (see the attachment for the error trace).

My changes are not getting saved and the file seems to get corrupted. I am no longer able to reopen this class comment because it always throws the same error.
I tried restarting my image and using new unmodified .image and .changes files however the error still occurred.

I am running Squeak 4.5 with update number #13702 on a 64bit Arch Linux distribution.

Best regards,
Fabian

Error_RemoteString.png (33K) Download Attachment

Re: Error when saving class comments

Eliot Miranda-2
Hi Fabian,

    what are the permissions on the changes file?  What happens when you save a method?

Eliot (phone)

On Feb 9, 2015, at 5:41 AM, Fabian Windheuser <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hello,
> Whenever I try to modify and save a class comment I get the following error:
> "Error: RemoteString past end of file" (see the attachment for the error trace).
>
> My changes are not getting saved and the file seems to get corrupted. I am no longer able to reopen this class comment because it always throws the same error.
> I tried restarting my image and using new unmodified .image and .changes files however the error still occurred.
>
> I am running Squeak 4.5 with update number #13702 on a 64bit Arch Linux distribution.
>
> Best regards,
> Fabian
>

> <Error_RemoteString.png>

tty

Re: Re: [squeak-dev] Error when saving class comments

tty
This is could be the WriteStream>>nextChunkPut:aString "bug"

At the end of that method, put a

self flush.

I just tested on a fresh Squeak4.6 image and that fix fixed the error for me.

cheers.

tty.

---- On Mon, 09 Feb 2015 09:55:06 -0500 Eliot Miranda <[hidden email]> wrote ----
Hi Fabian,

what are the permissions on the changes file? What happens when you save a method?

Eliot (phone)

On Feb 9, 2015, at 5:41 AM, Fabian Windheuser <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hello,
> Whenever I try to modify and save a class comment I get the following error:
> "Error: RemoteString past end of file" (see the attachment for the error trace).
>
> My changes are not getting saved and the file seems to get corrupted. I am no longer able to reopen this class comment because it always throws the same error.
> I tried restarting my image and using new unmodified .image and .changes files however the error still occurred.
>
> I am running Squeak 4.5 with update number #13702 on a 64bit Arch Linux distribution.
>
> Best regards,
> Fabian
>

> <Error_RemoteString.png>

Re: Error when saving class comments

Fabian Windheuser
Hey All,

The "self flush" at the end of  "WriteStream>>nextChunkPut:aString" fixed the problem for me. It works as intended now.
Thank you very much!

On a side note for Eliot:
The changes file has sufficient permissions and all changes besides class comments can be saved without a problem.

Greetings,
Fabian

---- On Mon, 09 Feb 2015 17:59:29 -0500 gettimothy <[hidden email]> wrote ----

---- On Mon, 09 Feb 2015 09:55:06 -0500 Eliot Miranda &[hidden email]&gt; wrote ----

Hi Fabian,

 what are the permissions on the changes file? What happens when you save a method?

Eliot (phone)

On Feb 9, 2015, at 5:41 AM, Fabian Windheuser &[hidden email]&gt; wrote:

&gt; Hello,
&gt; Whenever I try to modify and save a class comment I get the following error:
&gt; "Error: RemoteString past end of file" (see the attachment for the error trace).
&gt;
&gt; My changes are not getting saved and the file seems to get corrupted. I am no longer able to reopen this class comment because it always throws the same error.
&gt; I tried restarting my image and using new unmodified .image and .changes files however the error still occurred.
&gt;
&gt; I am running Squeak 4.5 with update number #13702 on a 64bit Arch Linux distribution.
&gt;
&gt; Best regards,
&gt; Fabian
&gt;
&gt;
&gt; &lt;Error_RemoteString.png&gt;
&gt;

Re: Error when saving class comments

Tobias Pape
Hi all,

What's the sentiment on putting this into 4.6/5.0?
I think its a deal-breaker for a lot of ubuntu users if
this is not working…

Best regards
        -Tobias

On 09.02.2015, at 23:59, gettimothy <[hidden email]> wrote:

> This is could be the WriteStream>>nextChunkPut:aString "bug"
>
> At the end of that method, put a
>
> self flush.
>

> I just tested on a fresh Squeak4.6 image and that fix fixed the error for me.
>

> cheers.
>
> tty.
>

> ---- On Mon, 09 Feb 2015 09:55:06 -0500 Eliot Miranda <[hidden email]> wrote ----
> Hi Fabian,
>
> what are the permissions on the changes file? What happens when you save a method?
>
> Eliot (phone)
>
> On Feb 9, 2015, at 5:41 AM, Fabian Windheuser <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> > Hello,
> > Whenever I try to modify and save a class comment I get the following error:
> > "Error: RemoteString past end of file" (see the attachment for the error trace).
> >
> > My changes are not getting saved and the file seems to get corrupted. I am no longer able to reopen this class comment because it always throws the same error.
> > I tried restarting my image and using new unmodified .image and .changes files however the error still occurred.
> >
> > I am running Squeak 4.5 with update number #13702 on a 64bit Arch Linux distribution.
> >
> > Best regards,
> > Fabian
> >

> > <Error_RemoteString.png>

Re: Error when saving class comments

David T. Lewis
On Thu, May 28, 2015 at 01:33:22PM +0200, Tobias Pape wrote:
> Hi all,
>

> What's the sentiment on putting this into 4.6/5.0?
> I think its a deal-breaker for a lot of ubuntu users if
> this is not working?
>
> Best regards
> -Tobias

-1

I can't recall the details, but adding #flush was a workaround, and the
real problem was fixed elsewhere. The problem no longer exists in trunk.

Dave

On 28.05.2015, at 14:19, David T. Lewis <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On Thu, May 28, 2015 at 01:33:22PM +0200, Tobias Pape wrote:
>> Hi all,
>>

>> What's the sentiment on putting this into 4.6/5.0?
>> I think its a deal-breaker for a lot of ubuntu users if
>> this is not working?
>>
>> Best regards
>> -Tobias
>
> -1
>
> I can't recall the details, but adding #flush was a workaround, and the
> real problem was fixed elsewhere. The problem no longer exists in trunk.

Oh well, if it's fixed, disregard my mail.
I was under the assumption that it does _not_ yet work…

Best regards
        -Tobias