Etoy tutorials on Squeakland and documentation in general

Etoy tutorials on Squeakland and documentation in general

lanas
Folks,

  I'd like to go through the Etoy tutorials on Squeakland to
familiarize myself about them but mostly also to be able to show them
to our children as I find that Squeak is a very nice approach to
programming concepts.

  Thing is, what do I do with a .pr file ?  Such as
NewPaint_05.014.pr.  Do I simply file it in ?  Do I view it in Firefox
using a plugin ?

  This brings a related matter: documentation.  Not tutorials, but
complete documentation.  I have the Guzdial book on Squeak (the white
one) and it shows a lot of things, but is there an official
documentation that is not made of snippets of info but is a reference
to Smalltalk using Squeak ?

Cheers,
Al

Re: Etoy tutorials on Squeakland and documentation in general

Milan Zimmermann-2
Ianas,

If you have a .pr file, you can load it into Squeak by starting Squeak,
left-clicking (depends on your OS) somewhere on the background, that should
show a "World Menu". In the menu click on "load project from file". That
should load and open the project.

As far as I can say, you cannot simply "open" the .pr file in a browser, it
has to have a "surrounding" HTML  with an object tag. There are lots of links
on Squekland.org.

I think you are asking about eToys documentation specifically - I do not know
about that, but there is a book named

"Squeak: Powerful Ideas in the Classroom"

It has eToys projects in it, you can get it on Amazon or directly from
Squeakland.

http://squeakland.org/

Some tutorials are here:

http://squeakland.org/whatis/tutorials.html
http://squeakland.org/sqmedia/projects/etoyposters.htm

Milan

On 2006 October 20 17:43, lanas wrote:

> Folks,
>
>   I'd like to go through the Etoy tutorials on Squeakland to
> familiarize myself about them but mostly also to be able to show them
> to our children as I find that Squeak is a very nice approach to
> programming concepts.
>
>   Thing is, what do I do with a .pr file ?  Such as
> NewPaint_05.014.pr.  Do I simply file it in ?  Do I view it in Firefox
> using a plugin ?
>
>   This brings a related matter: documentation.  Not tutorials, but
> complete documentation.  I have the Guzdial book on Squeak (the white
> one) and it shows a lot of things, but is there an official
> documentation that is not made of snippets of info but is a reference
> to Smalltalk using Squeak ?
>
> Cheers,
> Al

Re: Etoy tutorials on Squeakland and documentation in general

Markus Schlager-2
On Fri, 20 Oct 2006, lanas wrote:

>   This brings a related matter: documentation.  Not tutorials, but
> complete documentation.  I have the Guzdial book on Squeak (the white
> one) and it shows a lot of things, but is there an official
> documentation that is not made of snippets of info but is a reference
> to Smalltalk using Squeak ?

A book I like a lot is 'Squeak programmation' by Xavier Briffault and
Stephane Ducasse (only in French). This might be pretty close to what you
are looking for.

Markus

Re: Etoy tutorials on Squeakland and documentation in general

lanas
On Sat, 21 Oct 2006 00:29:10 +0200 (CEST)
Markus Schlager <[hidden email]> wrote:

> A book I like a lot is 'Squeak programmation' by Xavier Briffault and
> Stephane Ducasse (only in French). This might be pretty close to what
> you are looking for.

Einen Buch dass ist in Französich geschrieben ist ganz klar bei mir
parce que cela s'adonne que je comprends trés bien le francais !

So I have found excerpts at Eyrolles:

http://www.eyrolles.com/Accueil/Livre/9782212110234/livre-squeak-programmation.php

But it doesn't seem to be available in America (Canada specifically).
Browsing quickly the sample chapters, the book looks quite interesting.

Tschüss,
Alain

Re: Etoy tutorials on Squeakland and documentation in general

lanas
On Fri, 20 Oct 2006 18:24:24 -0400
Milan Zimmermann <[hidden email]> wrote:

> I think you are asking about eToys documentation specifically - I do
> not know about that, but there is a book named
>
> "Squeak: Powerful Ideas in the Classroom"

I have just ordered this book today.

Thanks for the links,

Cheers,
Alain

Re: Etoy tutorials on Squeakland and documentation in general

Markus Schlager-2
Hallo Alain!

If you understand some Spanish as well, you might alos want to check out
the new book by Diego Gomez Deck, published online at

http://wiki.gnulinex.org/LibroProgramacionSmalltalk/10

Schöne Grüße

Markus

Maybe also useful: http://www.iam.unibe.ch/~ducasse/FreeBooks.html

Re: Etoy tutorials on Squeakland and documentation in general

Raymond Asselin
Le 2006/10/20, lanas <[hidden email]> écrivait :

>parce que cela s'adonne que je comprends trés bien le francais !
>
>So I have found excerpts at Eyrolles:
>
>http://www.eyrolles.com/Accueil/Livre/9782212110234/livre-squeak-
programmation.php

>But it doesn't seem to be available in America (Canada specifically).
>Browsing quickly the sample chapters, the book looks quite
interesting.

Bonjour Alain tu peux sûrement le commander dans une librairie, je
l'ai acheté à la librairie de l'université du Québec à Montréal lorsqu'il
a été publié.

Effectivement c'est un très bon livre de Stéphane et Xavier

Salut