Etoys 5.0 RC 2

Karl Ramberg
Etoys 5 release candidate 2
More fixes went into this new release candidate, but if there are some show stoppers we would like to know asap !

So download from here:

And give feedback

or to

last resort is mailing me directly karlramberg 'at' gmail.com

Cheers,
Karl

Re: Etoys 5.0 RC 2

Edgar De Cleene
Re: [squeak-dev] Etoys 5.0 RC 2 Karl:

1 Undeclared in Etoys 5.0 RC 2

a Dictionary(#CClipboard->nil #DrGeoWindow->nil #DuplicateVariableError->nil #GStreamerSystem->nil #HTTPProgress->nil #index->nil #interpreterProxy->nil #MacServicesInterface->nil #MIMETypeMacResolver->nil #multistatus->false #ResumableTestFailure->nil #RomeFreetypeFont->nil #ScaledDecimal->nil #SUnitNameResolver->nil #shouldClearOrigin->nil #TestCase->nil #TestFailure->nil #ToolBuilder->nil )

2 Disable the "eToyFriendly" preference

In the past was in the left About Flap , but no in Etoys-To-Go-5.0-Beta.

Now you need the following “la vuelta larga” “the long way”

1. open Object Catalog from Supply Bin
2. click "Alphabetic" and "P"
3. drag "Preferences" to desktop
4. click "Scripting"
5. uncheck "EtoysFriendly"
6. close Preferences and Object catalog

Cheers

Edgar

Re: Etoys 5.0 RC 2

Bert Freudenberg

On 29.03.2012, at 11:19, Edgar J. De Cleene wrote:

> Karl:
>
> 1 Undeclared in Etoys 5.0 RC 2
>
> a Dictionary(#CClipboard->nil #DrGeoWindow->nil #DuplicateVariableError->nil #GStreamerSystem->nil #HTTPProgress->nil #index->nil #interpreterProxy->nil #MacServicesInterface->nil #MIMETypeMacResolver->nil #multistatus->false #ResumableTestFailure->nil #RomeFreetypeFont->nil #ScaledDecimal->nil #SUnitNameResolver->nil #shouldClearOrigin->nil #TestCase->nil #TestFailure->nil #ToolBuilder->nil )

Good find.

> 2 Disable the "eToyFriendly" preference
>

> In the past was in the left About Flap , but no in Etoys-To-Go-5.0-Beta.
>
> Now you need the following “la vuelta larga” “the long way”
>
> 1. open Object Catalog from Supply Bin
> 2. click "Alphabetic" and "P"
> 3. drag "Preferences" to desktop
> 4. click "Scripting"
> 5. uncheck "EtoysFriendly"
> 6. close Preferences and Object catalog
>
> Cheers
>
> Edgar

There has never been an official Squeakland release with the eToyFriendly preference in the flap. I only put that into the experimental touch test and iPad versions.

There are various means to get at the preferences dialog. It's in the world's halo menu, and in the "view-source" menu (special key on OLPC XO, cmd-comma elsewhere).

One thing I'd like to see is an example project showing how to use the Smalltalk tools. That would be the right place to explain the eToyFriendly preference. (And maybe we can finally fix the spelling to etoyFriendly)

- Bert -

Re: Etoys 5.0 RC 2

Edgar De Cleene

On 3/29/12 8:41 AM, "Bert Freudenberg" <[hidden email]> wrote:

> One thing I'd like to see is an example project showing how to use the
> Smalltalk tools. That would be the right place to explain the eToyFriendly
> preference. (And maybe we can finally fix the spelling to etoyFriendly)
>
> - Bert -

Ok, try do do such Project.
And began to study how load Etoys pr. Files in trunk.
Also trunk could use this.

Alternative.

>From Etoys or Squeak be able to load YouTube video.
Maybe someone do this before and only need a window with links.

Edgar

Squeak on iPad (was Re: [squeak-dev] Re: Etoys 5.0 RC 2)

Edgar De Cleene

On 3/29/12 8:41 AM, "Bert Freudenberg" <[hidden email]> wrote:

> There has never been an official Squeakland release with the eToyFriendly
> preference in the flap. I only put that into the experimental touch test and
> iPad versions.

Off  course, remember now I got this and put and my old iPad.
What is the state of Squeak into iPad ?
See activity in Pharo about this and believe Hilarie have his DrGeo as app

Edgar

Re: Squeak on iPad (was Re: [squeak-dev] Re: Etoys 5.0 RC 2)

Bert Freudenberg
On 29.03.2012, at 14:10, Edgar J. De Cleene wrote:

> On 3/29/12 8:41 AM, "Bert Freudenberg" <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> There has never been an official Squeakland release with the eToyFriendly
>> preference in the flap. I only put that into the experimental touch test and
>> iPad versions.
>
> Off  course, remember now I got this and put and my old iPad.
> What is the state of Squeak into iPad ?

It works, although there are rough edges. But Esteban has got Eliot's Stack VM to run, so everything is even a bit faster now.

OTOH to make a high-quality iPad/iPhone app you would need to do what John did and make a native interface. Morphic just doesn't cut it (unless someone would make Morphic use Core Animation layered rendering).

And the current Squeak interface is made for a mouse. There would have to be a serious UI redesign to make a nice touch-based Smalltalk development environment.

Designing a touch-friendly UI may be a bit easier for Etoys, but it too would need a lot of UI changes. Which is the reason why we haven't pushed much in that direction yet.

> See activity in Pharo about this and believe Hilarie have his DrGeo as app

Yes, Esteban and I have been working with Hilaire on this (and with Dimitry for Android tablets):

        http://www.drgeo.eu/home/dr-geo-news

- Bert -

Re: Etoys 5.0 RC 2

Edgar De Cleene
More bugs:

Clicking on World menu , save project on file gives this...

Edgar

P.S. Not feeling alone in alpha mistakes :=)

SqueakDebug.log (5K) Download Attachment

Re: Etoys 5.0 RC 2

Karl Ramberg
I can confirm this bug, but it's not critical since publishing projects from the navigator bar work.
We have biggest focus on making etoy friendly work as advertised.

That the rest of the image mostly work is coincidental ;-)

Oh, and don't feel bad about mistakes. We have all been stumbling blind from time to time.

Karl

On Thu, Mar 29, 2012 at 2:03 PM, Edgar J. De Cleene <[hidden email]> wrote:

On 3/29/12 8:41 AM, "Bert Freudenberg" <[hidden email]> wrote:

> One thing I'd like to see is an example project showing how to use the
> Smalltalk tools. That would be the right place to explain the eToyFriendly
> preference. (And maybe we can finally fix the spelling to etoyFriendly)
>
> - Bert -

Ok, try do do such Project.
And began to study how load Etoys pr. Files in trunk.
Also trunk could use this.

Alternative.

>From Etoys or Squeak be able to load YouTube video.
Maybe someone do this before and only need a window with links.

Edgar

We have a Google Summer of Code project porting video plugins / support code from OpenQwaq.
If that pan out we could some day have nice video from you tube in image, maybe.
And also publish to you tube would be nice.

If you know of any student that have interest in such a project look at:

Karl

Re: Etoys 5.0 RC 2

Edgar De Cleene

On 3/29/12 3:05 PM, "karl ramberg" <[hidden email]> wrote:

>> We have a Google Summer of Code project porting video plugins / support code
>> from OpenQwaq.
>> If that pan out we could some day have nice video from you tube in image,
>> maybe.
>> And also publish to you tube would be nice.
>>
>> If you know of any student that have interest in such a project look at:
>> http://gsoc2012.esug.org/projects/openqwaq-video
>>
>> Karl

Nice !!
See you and Bert as mentors, spread the word with students

Edgar