Etoys programming question, clear pen trails from a textfield.

Etoys programming question, clear pen trails from a textfield.

R.D. Latimer
I hope this is the correct list for etoys questions...

I have a car leaving a trail of dots as it moves in the x direction.

I create a horizontal textfield for a 'track' (using a textfield from
the supplies menu).

The car moves along the textfield track and leaves dots for it's trail.

MY QUESTION:
I use 'clear all pen trail' from the textfield's viewer menu, but the
blue dots do not clear

I can clear the trail using the menu from the textfield's halo, but I
cannot clear the trail using the 'clear pen trails' from the viewer
menu of the the textield.

If I draw the pen trail outside of the textfield, the pen trail clears
using the car's viewer menu for 'clear pen trails'.

My question again - how to I clear pen trails using the 'clear all pen
trails' from the Viewer for the Textfield?

THanks

Re: Etoys programming question, clear pen trails from a textfield.

dcorking
R.D. Latimer wrote:
> I hope this is the correct list for etoys questions...

Yes. Welcome back!

You later wrote:
> No need for help on pen trails anymore.  I found the 'clear pen
> trails' in the 'pen trails' section does the trick.

That is great news. (How did you find it?) In the meantime I wrote up
a fuller answer which I post below in case it helps someone else with
a similar question.

I can't reproduce your problem with a 'Text' from the supplies flap.
(Both buttons work to clear the pen trails.)

However I tried with a 'Playfield' and that has slightly surprising behaviour.

Unlike most other objects, a playfield has two similar sounding tiles
in its viewer: 'Playfield clear all pen trails' and 'Playfield clear
pen trails'. They sound similar but don't do the same job. (Note the
word 'all'.)

The first tile, 'Playfield clear all pen trails', clears trails drawn
in the world, but leaves trails drawn inside the playfield intact.
(The balloon help and the reference manual say 'Clear all trails in my
containing playfield'. The world is another playfield.)

The second tile, 'Playfield clear pen trails', clears only those
trails drawn inside the playfield, and leaves all other trails intact.
(The balloon help here is 'Clear all the pen trails in the interior'.)

(For comparison, 'Car clear all pen trails' will clear all the trails
in the playfield the car is currently in.)

I tried this with Etoys 5.0 - so please mention if you notice
different behaviour on other recent versions of Etoys.

Have fun! David

Re: Etoys programming question, clear pen trails from a textfield.

mokurai
Thank you. I will make sure that this is clarified in the Etoys Reference
Manual.

http://booki.flossmanuals.net/etoys-reference-manual/_edit/

I don't think that I will add it to the Etoys section of The
Undiscoverable, but will just point to the manual.

http://wiki.sugarlabs.org/go/The_Undiscoverable/Etoys

If you have ever stumbled over any other aspect of Etoys in this way,
please let me know.

On Thu, January 10, 2013 11:15 am, David Corking wrote:

> R.D. Latimer wrote:
>> I hope this is the correct list for etoys questions...
>
> Yes. Welcome back!
>
> You later wrote:
>> No need for help on pen trails anymore.  I found the 'clear pen
>> trails' in the 'pen trails' section does the trick.
>
> That is great news. (How did you find it?) In the meantime I wrote up
> a fuller answer which I post below in case it helps someone else with
> a similar question.
>
> I can't reproduce your problem with a 'Text' from the supplies flap.
> (Both buttons work to clear the pen trails.)
>
> However I tried with a 'Playfield' and that has slightly surprising
> behaviour.
>
> Unlike most other objects, a playfield has two similar sounding tiles
> in its viewer: 'Playfield clear all pen trails' and 'Playfield clear
> pen trails'. They sound similar but don't do the same job. (Note the
> word 'all'.)
>
> The first tile, 'Playfield clear all pen trails', clears trails drawn
> in the world, but leaves trails drawn inside the playfield intact.
> (The balloon help and the reference manual say 'Clear all trails in my
> containing playfield'. The world is another playfield.)
>
> The second tile, 'Playfield clear pen trails', clears only those
> trails drawn inside the playfield, and leaves all other trails intact.
> (The balloon help here is 'Clear all the pen trails in the interior'.)
>
> (For comparison, 'Car clear all pen trails' will clear all the trails
> in the playfield the car is currently in.)
>
> I tried this with Etoys 5.0 - so please mention if you notice
> different behaviour on other recent versions of Etoys.
>
> Have fun! David

Edward Mokurai
(默雷/निशब्दगर्ज/نشبدگرج)
Cherlin

Re: Etoys programming question, clear pen trails from a textfield.

mokurai
It turns out that we had this correctly described in the draft Etoys
Reference Manual

http://booki.flossmanuals.net/etoys-reference-manual/_edit/

but I added a few words of further clarification.

On Thu, January 10, 2013 11:15 am, David Corking wrote:

> R.D. Latimer wrote:
>> I hope this is the correct list for etoys questions...
>
> Yes. Welcome back!
>
> You later wrote:
>> No need for help on pen trails anymore.  I found the 'clear pen
>> trails' in the 'pen trails' section does the trick.
>
> That is great news. (How did you find it?) In the meantime I wrote up
> a fuller answer which I post below in case it helps someone else with
> a similar question.
>
> I can't reproduce your problem with a 'Text' from the supplies flap.
> (Both buttons work to clear the pen trails.)
>
> However I tried with a 'Playfield' and that has slightly surprising
> behaviour.
>
> Unlike most other objects, a playfield has two similar sounding tiles
> in its viewer: 'Playfield clear all pen trails' and 'Playfield clear
> pen trails'. They sound similar but don't do the same job. (Note the
> word 'all'.)
>
> The first tile, 'Playfield clear all pen trails', clears trails drawn
> in the world, but leaves trails drawn inside the playfield intact.
> (The balloon help and the reference manual say 'Clear all trails in my
> containing playfield'. The world is another playfield.)
>
> The second tile, 'Playfield clear pen trails', clears only those
> trails drawn inside the playfield, and leaves all other trails intact.
> (The balloon help here is 'Clear all the pen trails in the interior'.)
>
> (For comparison, 'Car clear all pen trails' will clear all the trails
> in the playfield the car is currently in.)
>
> I tried this with Etoys 5.0 - so please mention if you notice
> different behaviour on other recent versions of Etoys.
>
> Have fun! David

Edward Mokurai
(默雷/निशब्दगर्ज/نشبدگرج)
Cherlin