Experiences CroquetCollaboration

Hans N Beck-2
Hi,

I've played several times with the CroquetCollaboration distribution.
 From this, I  have some (completely newbie) questions:

- would I see other avatars if there are other people in the same
space ? Until now, I was always alone ..... can I scan for other
users and their position ?
- navigation: how do I determine my position in the net of croquet
spaces ? How can I find out a way through spaces if I want to go from
point A to point B ?. This questions was discussed already last year
in this list. Is there now a concept of navigation and metrics to be
able to define something like  a position in space ?

But great work, I can imagine that this will be a nice thing :-)

Regards

Hans

Re: Experiences CroquetCollaboration

Howard Stearns
Hans N Beck wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I've played several times with the CroquetCollaboration distribution.
>  From this, I  have some (completely newbie) questions:
>
> - would I see other avatars if there are other people in the same space

Yes.

In all of the demos, you will see other people if they are connected to the
"same" space.

For many of the demos, the definition of the "same" space is that someone starts
the "Master" version of the demo and any number of other people on the same
local network start the "Participant" version.

For the KAT demo (clicking the blue button on the initial page of the
Collabartive disribution), you're in the "same" (Collaborative) worlds if you
accept the default place to connect to (www.croquetcollaborative.org).

> ? Until now, I was always alone ..... can I scan for other users and
> their position ?

As a programmer you can easily examine each world that your harness has joined,
but there is no user interface for this at this time.

Another approach would be to join a separate service of information and have
members advertise their locations. This would allow you to know if your buddies
are in a world that you have not joined right now.

> - navigation: how do I determine my position in the net of croquet
> spaces ? How can I find out a way through spaces if I want to go from
> point A to point B ?. This questions was discussed already last year in
> this list. Is there now a concept of navigation and metrics to be able
> to define something like  a position in space ?

There's no user interface for this right now.

--
Howard Stearns
University of Wisconsin - Madison