Experiences with 10342

12

Experiences with 10342

Janko Mivšek
Hello Pharoers,

I just load the 10342-dev and here are my observations:

- right mouse now works ok by default on my Linux

- clipboard works mostly well between Linux-Pharo, sometimes it forgets
a new copy on Linux and paste old content instead. But not work yet
between VW (on Linux) and Pharo. But this can be a problem on VW side as
well. It is very annoying while syncing the code between VA and Pharo.

- right click inside browser raise an exception:
        OBTextSelection(Object)>>doesNotUnderstand: #isMethodNode

- saving MC crashed image (segfault in UUID initalize)!

- slow response on every user action (mouse click or keyboard press),
specially in browser. This is quite annoying, because it is only app on
my PC with such slow response. And my PC is not slow (3.2MHz). Response
is near 500ms, which is well above acceptable level which is near 200-300ms.

- default look@feel doesn't look very nice, nor professional on my Linux
with KDE

- window controls are just the opposite and on the opposite side of the
default one on Linux! This is very annoying and really a show-stopper
IMO, on Linux and also Windows. Can you auto setup the other look@feel
by default here, as you did for swapMouse?

- renaming just a local method with the same method as in other classes
not possible
- removing such method not work as well (refactor method>remove)
- why refactoring part of right-click menu is not local to method, or
category, or class?

But don't forget that merits of current Pharo are much bigger than above
shortcomings, so accept those critics as an encouragement to do it even
better!

Best regards
Janko

--
Janko Mivšek
AIDA/Web

Re: Experiences with 10342

Schwab,Wilhelm K
Janko,

The UUID initialize snag is a VM defect; rename the UUID plugin _folder_ to work around it.  I'm with you on speed; it's a problem.

Bill

Re: Experiences with 10342

Janko Mivšek
Schwab,Wilhelm K pravi:

> The UUID initialize snag is a VM defect; rename the UUID plugin _folder_ to work around it.  I'm with you on speed; it's a problem.

Bill thanks, I just remembered a recent talk about that. After
installing new VM it works.

Janko

--
Janko Mivšek
AIDA/Web
Smalltalk Web Application Server
http://www.aidaweb.si

Re: Experiences with 10342

Mariano Martinez Peck

- right click inside browser raise an exception:
       OBTextSelection(Object)>>doesNotUnderstand: #isMethodNode

Are you sure? This has been fixed. It should be fixed for sure in 10342. At least it is here :)

- saving MC crashed image (segfault in UUID initalize)!

As they said, it also has been fixed in new expuer vm.

- window controls are just the opposite and on the opposite side of the
default one on Linux! This is very annoying and really a show-stopper
IMO, on Linux and also Windows. Can you auto setup the other look@feel
by default here, as you did for swapMouse?

I would really appreciate this feature also. As I don't use Mac this is weird for me.

Re: Experiences with 10342

Janko Mivšek
Hi Mariano,

Mariano Martinez Peck pravi:

>     - right click inside browser raise an exception:
>            OBTextSelection(Object)>>doesNotUnderstand: #isMethodNode

> Are you sure? This has been fixed. It should be fixed for sure in 10342.
> At least it is here :)

Can you therefore send me a fix :)

>     - saving MC crashed image (segfault in UUID initalize)!
>

> As they said, it also has been fixed in new expuer vm.

solved, thanks.

>     - window controls are just the opposite and on the opposite side of the
>     default one on Linux! This is very annoying and really a show-stopper
>     IMO, on Linux and also Windows. Can you auto setup the other look@feel
>     by default here, as you did for swapMouse?
>

> I would really appreciate this feature also. As I don't use Mac this is
> weird for me.

Janko Mivšek
Svetovalec za informatiko
Eranova d.o.o.
Ljubljana, Slovenija
www.eranova.si
tel:  01 514 22 55
faks: 01 514 22 56
gsm: 031 674 565

Re: Experiences with 10342

Janko Mivšek
Know anyone a quick and dirty way how to remove methods in this Pharo?
Some keyboard shortcut? I really need to delete some methods just
spotted in my code...

Janko

Janko Mivšek pravi:

--
Janko Mivšek
Svetovalec za informatiko

Re: Experiences with 10342

Mariano Martinez Peck

2009/6/25 Janko Mivšek <[hidden email]>
Hi Mariano,

Mariano Martinez Peck pravi:

>     - right click inside browser raise an exception:
>            OBTextSelection(Object)>>doesNotUnderstand: #isMethodNode

> Are you sure? This has been fixed. It should be fixed for sure in 10342.
> At least it is here :)

Can you therefore send me a fix :)

Sorry. I read quickly and I thought it was isClassNode not isMethodNode.
I cannot reproduce this problem neither in Linux and Windows.

Re: Experiences with 10342

Mariano Martinez Peck

2009/6/25 Janko Mivšek <[hidden email]>
Know anyone a quick and dirty way how to remove methods in this Pharo?
Some keyboard shortcut? I really need to delete some methods just
spotted in my code...

My experience is that right click -> refactor method -> remove sometimes doesn't work. So, I use right click -> various -> remove method.

Janko

Janko Mivšek pravi:

--
Janko Mivšek
Svetovalec za informatiko

Re: Experiences with 10342

Janko Mivšek
Mariano Martinez Peck pravi:

>     >     - right click inside browser raise an exception:
>     >            OBTextSelection(Object)>>doesNotUnderstand: #isMethodNode
>
>     > Are you sure? This has been fixed. It should be fixed for sure in
>     10342.
>     > At least it is here :)

> Sorry. I read quickly and I thought it was isClassNode not isMethodNode.
> I cannot reproduce this problem neither in Linux and Windows.

This is a full report of that bug:

'25 June 2009 7:37:25 pm

VM: unix - i686 - linux-gnu - Pharo0.1 of 16 May 2008 [latest update:
#10074]
Image: Pharo0.1 [Latest update: #10342]

SecurityManager state:
Restricted: false
FileAccess: true
SocketAccess: true
Working Dir /home/mivsek/Smalltalk/pharo
Trusted Dir /home/mivsek/Smalltalk/pharo/secure
Untrusted Dir /home/mivsek/Smalltalk/pharo/My Squeak

OBTextSelection(Object)>>doesNotUnderstand: #isMethodNode
        Receiver: an OBTextSelection
        Arguments and temporary variables:
                aMessage: isMethodNode
                exception: MessageNotUnderstood: OBTextSelection>>isMethodNode
                resumeValue: nil
        Receiver''s instance variables:
                selection: (22 to: 21)
                text: a Text for ''isSiteContent
        ^true''

OBCmdRenameMethodRefactoring>>isActive
        Receiver: an OBCmdRenameMethodRefactoring
        Arguments and temporary variables:

        Receiver''s instance variables:
                target: an OBTextSelection
                requestor: an OBEnhancementDefinitionPanel

[] in OBTextCommandScan(OBCommandScan)>>addCommandsOn:for:to:
        Receiver: an OBTextCommandScan
        Arguments and temporary variables:
                aNode: OBCmdRenameMethodRefactoring
                aRequestor: an OBTextSelection
                aSet: an OBEnhancementDefinitionPanel
                cmd: an IdentitySet(an ORCmdTemporaryToInstvarRefactoring an
ORCmdCreateSupercl...etc...
                ea: an Array(an OBCmdRenameMethodRefactoring)
        Receiver''s instance variables:
                factories: an OrderedCollection(ORCmdRenameInstVarRefactoring
ORCmdAddInstVarRe...etc...

OrderedCollection>>do:
        Receiver: an OrderedCollection(ORCmdRenameInstVarRefactoring
ORCmdAddInstVarRefactoring ORCmdProtect...etc...
        Arguments and temporary variables:
                aBlock: [closure] in
OBTextCommandScan(OBCommandScan)>>addCommandsOn:for:to:
                index: 39
        Receiver''s instance variables:
                array: {ORCmdRenameInstVarRefactoring . ORCmdAddInstVarRefactoring .
ORCmdProte...etc...
                firstIndex: 1
                lastIndex: 47

OBTextCommandScan(OBCommandScan)>>addCommandsOn:for:to:
        Receiver: an OBTextCommandScan
        Arguments and temporary variables:
                aNode: an OBTextSelection
                aRequestor: an OBEnhancementDefinitionPanel
                aSet: an IdentitySet(an ORCmdTemporaryToInstvarRefactoring an
ORCmdCreateSuperc...etc...
                cmd: an Array(an OBCmdRenameMethodRefactoring)
        Receiver''s instance variables:
                factories: an OrderedCollection(ORCmdRenameInstVarRefactoring
ORCmdAddInstVarRe...etc...

[] in OBTextCommandScan(OBCommandScan)>>populateMenu:withNodes:forRequestor:
        Receiver: an OBTextCommandScan
        Arguments and temporary variables:
<<error during printing>
        Receiver''s instance variables:
                factories: an OrderedCollection(ORCmdRenameInstVarRefactoring
ORCmdAddInstVarRe...etc...

Array(SequenceableCollection)>>do:
        Receiver: an Array(an OBTextSelection)
        Arguments and temporary variables:
                aBlock: [closure] in
OBTextCommandScan(OBCommandScan)>>populateMenu:withNodes:f...etc...
                index: 1
                indexLimiT: 1
        Receiver''s instance variables:
an Array(an OBTextSelection)

OBTextCommandScan(OBCommandScan)>>populateMenu:withNodes:forRequestor:
        Receiver: an OBTextCommandScan
        Arguments and temporary variables:
                aMenu: a MenuMorph(15)
                aCollection: an Array(an OBTextSelection)
                aRequestor: an OBEnhancementDefinitionPanel
                commands: an IdentitySet(an ORCmdTemporaryToInstvarRefactoring an
ORCmdCreateSu...etc...
                cluster: nil
        Receiver''s instance variables:
                factories: an OrderedCollection(ORCmdRenameInstVarRefactoring
ORCmdAddInstVarRe...etc...

OBEnhancementDefinitionPanel(OBTextPanel)>>addTextCommandsToMenu:selection:
        Receiver: an OBEnhancementDefinitionPanel
        Arguments and temporary variables:
                aMenu: a MenuMorph(15)
                aTextSelection: an OBTextSelection
                scan: an OBTextCommandScan
        Receiver''s instance variables:
                browser: an OBPackageBrowser
                definition: an OBMethodDefinition
                selection: (1 to: 0)
                codeTabPanel: nil
                morph: a RectangleMorph(412)
                contentMorph: an OBPluggableTextMorphWithShout(3070)

OBEnhancementDefinitionPanel(OBTextPanel)>>menu:shifted:selection:
        Receiver: an OBEnhancementDefinitionPanel
        Arguments and temporary variables:
                aMenu: a MenuMorph(15)
                aBoolean: false
                aTextSelection: an OBTextSelection
        Receiver''s instance variables:
                browser: an OBPackageBrowser
                definition: an OBMethodDefinition
                selection: (1 to: 0)
                codeTabPanel: nil
                morph: a RectangleMorph(412)
                contentMorph: an OBPluggableTextMorphWithShout(3070)

OBPluggableTextMorphWithShout(OBPluggableTextMorph)>>getMenu:
        Receiver: an OBPluggableTextMorphWithShout(3070)
        Arguments and temporary variables:
                shiftKeyState: false
                menu: a MenuMorph(15)
                aMenu: nil
                aTitle: nil
        Receiver''s instance variables:
                bounds: 175@507 corner: 965@686
                owner: a RectangleMorph(412)
                submorphs: an Array(a TransformMorph(1280))
                fullBounds: 175@507 corner: 965@686
                color: Color transparent
                extension: a MorphExtension (3844) [other:  (layoutProperties -> a
LayoutProper...etc...
                borderWidth: 0
                borderColor: Color black
                model: an OBEnhancementDefinitionPanel
                slotName: nil
                open: false
                scrollBar: a ScrollBar(688)
                scroller: a TransformMorph(1280)
                retractableScrollBar: false
                scrollBarOnLeft: false
                getMenuSelector: #menu:shifted:
                getMenuTitleSelector: nil
                hasFocus: false
                hScrollBar: a ScrollBar(3740)
                textMorph: an OBTextMorphWithShout(3974)
                getTextSelector: #text
                setTextSelector: #accept:notifying:
                getSelectionSelector: #selection
                hasUnacceptedEdits: true
                askBeforeDiscardingEdits: true
                selectionInterval: (22 to: 21)
                hasEditingConflicts: false
                styler: a SHTextStylerST80
                unstyledAcceptText: nil

OBPluggableTextMorphWithShout(PluggableTextMorph)>>yellowButtonActivity:
        Receiver: an OBPluggableTextMorphWithShout(3070)
        Arguments and temporary variables:
                shiftKeyState: false
                menu: nil
[...]

OBPluggableTextMorphWithShout(ScrollPane)>>mouseDown:
                evt: [299@546 mouseDown yellow 4837600 nil]
[...]

OBPluggableTextMorphWithShout(Morph)>>handleMouseDown:
                anEvent: [299@546 mouseDown yellow 4837600 nil]
[...]

OBPluggableTextMorphWithShout(OBPluggableTextMorph)>>handleMouseDown:
[...]

MouseButtonEvent>>sentTo:
        Receiver: [299@546 mouseDown yellow 4837600 nil]
        Arguments and temporary variables:
                anObject: an OBPluggableTextMorphWithShout(3070)
        Receiver''s instance variables:
                timeStamp: 4837600
                source: a HandMorph(3216)
                windowIndex: nil
                type: #mouseDown
                buttons: 2
                position: 299@546
                handler: an OBPluggableTextMorphWithShout(3070)
                wasHandled: true
                whichButton: 2

OBPluggableTextMorphWithShout(Morph)>>handleEvent:
[...]

MorphicEventDispatcher>>dispatchMouseDown:with:
        Receiver: a MorphicEventDispatcher
        Arguments and temporary variables:
                anEvent: [299@546 mouseDown yellow 4837600 nil]
                aMorph: an OBPluggableTextMorphWithShout(3070)
                globalPt: 299@546
                localEvt: [299@546 mouseDown yellow 4837600 nil]
                index: 2
                child: a TransformMorph(1280)
                morphs: an Array(a TransformMorph(1280))
                handler: an OBPluggableTextMorphWithShout(3070)
                inside: nil
                lastHandler: a SystemWindow(1414)
        Receiver''s instance variables:
                lastType: #mouseDown
                lastDispatch: #dispatchMouseDown:with:

MorphicEventDispatcher>>dispatchEvent:with:
        Receiver: a MorphicEventDispatcher
        Arguments and temporary variables:
                anEvent: [299@546 mouseDown yellow 4837600 nil]
                aMorph: an OBPluggableTextMorphWithShout(3070)
        Receiver''s instance variables:
                lastType: #mouseDown
                lastDispatch: #dispatchMouseDown:with:

OBPluggableTextMorphWithShout(Morph)>>processEvent:using:
        Receiver: an OBPluggableTextMorphWithShout(3070)
        Arguments and temporary variables:
                anEvent: [299@546 mouseDown yellow 4837600 nil]
                defaultDispatcher: a MorphicEventDispatcher
[...]

                aMorph: a RectangleMorph(412)
                globalPt: 299@546
                localEvt: [299@546 mouseDown yellow 4837600 nil]
                index: 1
                child: an OBPluggableTextMorphWithShout(3070)
                morphs: an Array(an OBPluggableTextMorphWithShout(3070))
                handler: nil
                inside: nil
                lastHandler: a SystemWindow(1414)
        Receiver''s instance variables:
                lastType: #mouseDown
                lastDispatch: #dispatchMouseDown:with:

MorphicEventDispatcher>>dispatchEvent:with:
        Receiver: a MorphicEventDispatcher
        Arguments and temporary variables:
                anEvent: [299@546 mouseDown yellow 4837600 nil]
                aMorph: a RectangleMorph(412)
        Receiver''s instance variables:
                lastType: #mouseDown
                lastDispatch: #dispatchMouseDown:with:

RectangleMorph(Morph)>>processEvent:using:
        Receiver: a RectangleMorph(412)
        Arguments and temporary variables:
                anEvent: [299@546 mouseDown yellow 4837600 nil]
                defaultDispatcher: a MorphicEventDispatcher
        Receiver''s instance variables:
                bounds: 175@507 corner: 965@686
                owner: a RectangleMorph(859)
                submorphs: an Array(an OBPluggableTextMorphWithShout(3070))
                fullBounds: 175@507 corner: 965@686
                color: Color white
                extension: a MorphExtension (757) [other:  (layoutPolicy -> a
TableLayout) (lay...etc...
                borderWidth: 0
                borderColor: Color black

MorphicEventDispatcher>>dispatchMouseDown:with:
        Receiver: a MorphicEventDispatcher
        Arguments and temporary variables:
                anEvent: [299@546 mouseDown yellow 4837600 nil]
                aMorph: a RectangleMorph(859)
                globalPt: 299@546
                localEvt: [299@546 mouseDown yellow 4837600 nil]
                index: 1
                child: a RectangleMorph(412)
                morphs: an Array(a RectangleMorph(412))
                handler: nil
                inside: nil
                lastHandler: a SystemWindow(1414)
        Receiver''s instance variables:
                lastType: #mouseDown
                lastDispatch: #dispatchMouseDown:with:

MorphicEventDispatcher>>dispatchEvent:with:
        Receiver: a MorphicEventDispatcher
        Arguments and temporary variables:
                anEvent: [299@546 mouseDown yellow 4837600 nil]
                aMorph: a RectangleMorph(859)
        Receiver''s instance variables:
                lastType: #mouseDown
                lastDispatch: #dispatchMouseDown:with:

RectangleMorph(Morph)>>processEvent:using:
        Receiver: a RectangleMorph(859)
        Arguments and temporary variables:
                anEvent: [299@546 mouseDown yellow 4837600 nil]
                defaultDispatcher: a MorphicEventDispatcher
        Receiver''s instance variables:
                bounds: 175@507 corner: 965@686
                owner: an OBGroupingMorph(3552)
                submorphs: an Array(a RectangleMorph(412))
                fullBounds: 175@507 corner: 965@686
                color: Color white
                extension: a MorphExtension (518) [other:  (layoutPolicy -> a
TableLayout) (lay...etc...
                borderWidth: 0
                borderColor: Color black

MorphicEventDispatcher>>dispatchMouseDown:with:
        Receiver: a MorphicEventDispatcher
        Arguments and temporary variables:
                anEvent: [299@546 mouseDown yellow 4837600 nil]
                aMorph: an OBGroupingMorph(3552)
                globalPt: 299@546
                localEvt: [299@546 mouseDown yellow 4837600 nil]
                index: 3
                child: a RectangleMorph(859)
                morphs: an Array(an OBPluggableTextMorph(3006) a
BorderedSubpaneDividerMorph(20...etc...
                handler: nil
                inside: nil
                lastHandler: a SystemWindow(1414)
        Receiver''s instance variables:
                lastType: #mouseDown
                lastDispatch: #dispatchMouseDown:with:

MorphicEventDispatcher>>dispatchEvent:with:
        Receiver: a MorphicEventDispatcher
        Arguments and temporary variables:
                anEvent: [299@546 mouseDown yellow 4837600 nil]
                aMorph: an OBGroupingMorph(3552)
        Receiver''s instance variables:
                lastType: #mouseDown
                lastDispatch: #dispatchMouseDown:with:

OBGroupingMorph(Morph)>>processEvent:using:
        Receiver: an OBGroupingMorph(3552)
        Arguments and temporary variables:
                anEvent: [299@546 mouseDown yellow 4837600 nil]
                defaultDispatcher: a MorphicEventDispatcher
        Receiver''s instance variables:
                bounds: 175@479 corner: 965@686
                owner: a SystemWindow(1414)
                submorphs: an Array(an OBPluggableTextMorph(3006) a
BorderedSubpaneDividerMorph...etc...
                fullBounds: 175@479 corner: 965@686
                color: Color white
                extension: a MorphExtension (2412) [locked]  [eventHandler = an
EventHandler; m...etc...
                borderWidth: 0
                borderColor: (Color r: 0.667 g: 0.667 b: 0.667)

MorphicEventDispatcher>>dispatchMouseDown:with:
        Receiver: a MorphicEventDispatcher
        Arguments and temporary variables:
                anEvent: [299@546 mouseDown yellow 4837600 nil]
                aMorph: a SystemWindow(1414)
                globalPt: 299@546
                localEvt: [299@546 mouseDown yellow 4837600 nil]
                index: 11
                child: an OBGroupingMorph(3552)
                morphs: an Array(a WindowEdgeGripMorph(545) a
WindowEdgeGripMorph(152) a Window...etc...
                handler: a SystemWindow(1414)
                inside: nil
                lastHandler: a PasteUpMorph(1622) [world]
        Receiver''s instance variables:
                lastType: #mouseDown
                lastDispatch: #dispatchMouseDown:with:

MorphicEventDispatcher>>dispatchEvent:with:
        Receiver: a MorphicEventDispatcher
        Arguments and temporary variables:
                anEvent: [299@546 mouseDown yellow 4837600 nil]
                aMorph: a SystemWindow(1414)
        Receiver''s instance variables:
                lastType: #mouseDown
                lastDispatch: #dispatchMouseDown:with:

SystemWindow(Morph)>>processEvent:using:
        Receiver: a SystemWindow(1414)
        Arguments and temporary variables:
                anEvent: [299@546 mouseDown yellow 4837600 nil]
                defaultDispatcher: a MorphicEventDispatcher
        Receiver''s instance variables:
                bounds: 170@241 corner: 970@691
                owner: a PasteUpMorph(1622) [world]
                submorphs: an Array(a WindowEdgeGripMorph(545) a
WindowEdgeGripMorph(152) a Win...etc...
                fullBounds: 170@241 corner: 971@692
                color: (Color r: 0.816 g: 0.812 b: 0.812)
                extension: a MorphExtension (2430) [other:  (layoutPolicy -> a
ProportionalLayo...etc...
                borderWidth: 1
                borderColor: Color lightGray
                model: an OBPackageBrowser
                slotName: nil
                open: false
                labelString: ''OB Package Browser: SiteContent''
                stripes: an Array(a RectangleMorph(1822) a RectangleMorph(1788))
                label: a LabelMorph(3105)''OB Package Browser: SiteContent''
                closeBox: a MultistateButtonMorph(3576)
                collapseBox: a MultistateButtonMorph(2334)
                activeOnlyOnTop: true
                paneMorphs: an Array(an OBGroupingMorph(3552) an OBGroupingMorph(1802))
                paneRects: nil
                collapsedFrame: nil
                fullFrame: 170@241 corner: 970@691
                isCollapsed: false
                menuBox: an IconicButton(1895)
                mustNotClose: false
                labelWidgetAllowance: 126
                updatablePanes: #()
                allowReframeHandles: true
                labelArea: an AlignmentMorph(512)
                expandBox: a MultistateButtonMorph(2433)

MorphicEventDispatcher>>dispatchMouseDown:with:
        Receiver: a MorphicEventDispatcher
        Arguments and temporary variables:
                anEvent: [299@546 mouseDown yellow 4837600 nil]
                aMorph: a PasteUpMorph(1622) [world]
                globalPt: 299@546
                localEvt: [299@546 mouseDown yellow 4837600 nil]
                index: 2
                child: a SystemWindow(1414)
                morphs: an Array(a TaskbarMorph(3095) a SystemWindow(1414) a
PluggableStandardW...etc...
                handler: a PasteUpMorph(1622) [world]
                inside: nil
                lastHandler: nil
        Receiver''s instance variables:
                lastType: #mouseDown
                lastDispatch: #dispatchMouseDown:with:

MorphicEventDispatcher>>dispatchEvent:with:
        Receiver: a MorphicEventDispatcher
        Arguments and temporary variables:
                anEvent: [299@546 mouseDown yellow 4837600 nil]
                aMorph: a PasteUpMorph(1622) [world]
        Receiver''s instance variables:
                lastType: #mouseDown
                lastDispatch: #dispatchMouseDown:with:

PasteUpMorph(Morph)>>processEvent:using:
        Receiver: a PasteUpMorph(1622) [world]
        Arguments and temporary variables:
                anEvent: [299@546 mouseDown yellow 4837600 nil]
                defaultDispatcher: a MorphicEventDispatcher
        Receiver''s instance variables:
                bounds: 0@0 corner: 1216@746
                owner: nil
                submorphs: an Array(a TaskbarMorph(3095) a SystemWindow(2749) a
SystemWindow(14...etc...
                fullBounds: nil
                color: (Color r: 0.97 g: 0.98 b: 1.0)
                extension: a MorphExtension (2543) [eventHandler = an EventHandler]
[other:  (...etc...
                borderWidth: 0
                borderColor: (Color r: 0.03 g: 0.02 b: 0.0)
                presenter: a Presenter (1246)
                model: a MorphicModel(1926)
                cursor: 1
                padding: 3
                backgroundMorph: nil
                isPartsBin: nil
                autoLineLayout: false
                indicateCursor: nil
                resizeToFit: nil
                wantsMouseOverHalos: nil
                worldState: a WorldState
                griddingOn: nil

PasteUpMorph>>processEvent:using:
        Receiver: a PasteUpMorph(1622) [world]
        Arguments and temporary variables:
                anEvent: [299@546 mouseDown yellow 4837600 nil]
                defaultDispatcher: a MorphicEventDispatcher
                priorWorld: a PasteUpMorph(1622) [world]
                result: nil
[...]

HandMorph>>sendEvent:focus:clear:
        Receiver: a HandMorph(3216)
        Arguments and temporary variables:
                anEvent: [299@546 mouseDown yellow 4837600 nil]
                focusHolder: nil
                aBlock: [closure] in HandMorph>>sendMouseEvent:
                result: nil
        Receiver''s instance variables:
                bounds: 477@287 corner: 493@303
                owner: a PasteUpMorph(1622) [world]
                submorphs: #()
                fullBounds: 477@287 corner: 493@303
                color: Color blue
                extension: a MorphExtension (539) [eventHandler = an EventHandler]
                mouseFocus: nil
                keyboardFocus: nil
                eventListeners: nil
                mouseListeners: nil
                keyboardListeners: nil
                mouseClickState: nil
                mouseOverHandler: a MouseOverHandler
                lastMouseEvent: [477@287 mouseUp 4869856 nil]
                targetOffset: 187@10
                damageRecorder: a DamageRecorder
                cacheCanvas: nil
                cachedCanvasHasHoles: true
                temporaryCursor: nil
                temporaryCursorOffset: nil
                hardwareCursor: nil
                hasChanged: true
                savedPatch: nil
                userInitials: ''''
                lastEventBuffer: #(1 4869856 477 287 0 0 0 1)
                lastKeyScanCode: 30
                combinedChar: nil

HandMorph>>sendMouseEvent:
        Receiver: a HandMorph(3216)
[...]

--- The full stack ---
[...]
 - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
                        - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
HandMorph>>handleEvent:
HandMorph>>processEvents
[] in WorldState>>doOneCycleNowFor:
Array(SequenceableCollection)>>do:
WorldState>>handsDo:
WorldState>>doOneCycleNowFor:
WorldState>>doOneCycleFor:
PasteUpMorph>>doOneCycle
[] in Project class>>spawnNewProcess
[] in BlockClosure>>newProcess
'

Re: Experiences with 10342

Janko Mivšek
Mariano Martinez Peck pravi:

>     Know anyone a quick and dirty way how to remove methods in this Pharo?
>     Some keyboard shortcut? I really need to delete some methods just
>     spotted in my code...
>

> My experience is that right click -> refactor method -> remove sometimes
> doesn't work. So, I use right click -> various -> remove method.

This one is just too hidden ... :)

Thanks
Janko

--
Janko Mivšek
AIDA/Web
Smalltalk Web Application Server
http://www.aidaweb.si

Re: Experiences with 10342

Mariano Martinez Peck

2009/6/25 Janko Mivšek <[hidden email]>
Mariano Martinez Peck pravi:

>     Know anyone a quick and dirty way how to remove methods in this Pharo?
>     Some keyboard shortcut? I really need to delete some methods just
>     spotted in my code...
>

> My experience is that right click -> refactor method -> remove sometimes
> doesn't work. So, I use right click -> various -> remove method.

This one is just too hidden ... :)

Yes. I think because it will then be removed. But I use it because, as I said, with the other option sometimes I have problems.

Thanks
Janko

I opened a ticket: http://code.google.com/p/pharo/issues/detail?id=905

2009/6/25 Janko Mivšek <[hidden email]>
Mariano Martinez Peck pravi:

>     >     - right click inside browser raise an exception:
>     >            OBTextSelection(Object)>>doesNotUnderstand: #isMethodNode
>
>     > Are you sure? This has been fixed. It should be fixed for sure in
>     10342.
>     > At least it is here :)

> Sorry. I read quickly and I thought it was isClassNode not isMethodNode.
> I cannot reproduce this problem neither in Linux and Windows.

This is a full report of that bug:

'25 June 2009 7:37:25 pm

VM: unix - i686 - linux-gnu - Pharo0.1 of 16 May 2008 [latest update:
#10074]
Image: Pharo0.1 [Latest update: #10342]

SecurityManager state:
Restricted: false
FileAccess: true
SocketAccess: true
Working Dir /home/mivsek/Smalltalk/pharo
Trusted Dir /home/mivsek/Smalltalk/pharo/secure
Untrusted Dir /home/mivsek/Smalltalk/pharo/My Squeak

OBTextSelection(Object)>>doesNotUnderstand: #isMethodNode
       Receiver: an OBTextSelection
       Arguments and temporary variables:
               aMessage:       isMethodNode
               exception:      MessageNotUnderstood: OBTextSelection>>isMethodNode
               resumeValue:    nil
       Receiver''s instance variables:
               selection:      (22 to: 21)
               text:   a Text for ''isSiteContent
       ^true''

OBCmdRenameMethodRefactoring>>isActive
       Receiver: an OBCmdRenameMethodRefactoring
       Arguments and temporary variables:

       Receiver''s instance variables:
               target:         an OBTextSelection
               requestor:      an OBEnhancementDefinitionPanel

[] in OBTextCommandScan(OBCommandScan)>>addCommandsOn:for:to:
       Receiver: an OBTextCommandScan
       Arguments and temporary variables:
               aNode:  OBCmdRenameMethodRefactoring
               aRequestor:     an OBTextSelection
               aSet:   an OBEnhancementDefinitionPanel
               cmd:    an IdentitySet(an ORCmdTemporaryToInstvarRefactoring an
ORCmdCreateSupercl...etc...
               ea:     an Array(an OBCmdRenameMethodRefactoring)
       Receiver''s instance variables:
               factories:      an OrderedCollection(ORCmdRenameInstVarRefactoring
ORCmdAddInstVarRe...etc...

OrderedCollection>>do:
       Receiver: an OrderedCollection(ORCmdRenameInstVarRefactoring
ORCmdAddInstVarRefactoring ORCmdProtect...etc...
       Arguments and temporary variables:
               aBlock:         [closure] in
OBTextCommandScan(OBCommandScan)>>addCommandsOn:for:to:
               index:  39
[...]

               shiftKeyState:  false
               menu:   a MenuMorph(15)
               aMenu:  nil
               aTitle:         nil
[...]

Thanks.
As soon as we go beta we will really have to check and shake pharo.

BTW for the package browser, david cleanup all the menus. I do not
know if this is in the last version.

Stef

On Jun 25, 2009, at 6:00 PM, Janko Mivšek wrote:

> Hello Pharoers,
>
> I just load the 10342-dev and here are my observations:
>
> - right mouse now works ok by default on my Linux
>
> - clipboard works mostly well between Linux-Pharo, sometimes it
> forgets
> a new copy on Linux and paste old content instead. But not work yet
> between VW (on Linux) and Pharo. But this can be a problem on VW
> side as
> well. It is very annoying while syncing the code between VA and Pharo.
>
> - right click inside browser raise an exception:
> OBTextSelection(Object)>>doesNotUnderstand: #isMethodNode

> - saving MC crashed image (segfault in UUID initalize)!
>
> - slow response on every user action (mouse click or keyboard press),
> specially in browser. This is quite annoying, because it is only app
> on
> my PC with such slow response. And my PC is not slow (3.2MHz).
> Response
> is near 500ms, which is well above acceptable level which is near
> 200-300ms.
>
> - default look@feel doesn't look very nice, nor professional on my
> Linux
> with KDE
>
> - window controls are just the opposite and on the opposite side of
> the
> default one on Linux! This is very annoying and really a show-stopper
> IMO, on Linux and also Windows. Can you auto setup the other look@feel
> by default here, as you did for swapMouse?
>
> - renaming just a local method with the same method as in other
> classes
> not possible
> - removing such method not work as well (refactor method>remove)
> - why refactoring part of right-click menu is not local to method, or
> category, or class?
>
> But don't forget that merits of current Pharo are much bigger than
> above
> shortcomings, so accept those critics as an encouragement to do it
> even
> better!
>
> Best regards
> Janko
>

> --
> Janko Mivšek
> AIDA/Web
> Smalltalk Web Application Server
> http://www.aidaweb.si

Re: Experiences with 10342

Schwab,Wilhelm K
Janko,

Right click, various|remove method - is that what you need?  I'm using a 324 image, so perhaps something has been removed in recent updates.

Bill

--
Janko Mivšek
Svetovalec za informatiko

Re: Experiences with 10342

Schwab,Wilhelm K
So there will no way to simply remove a method?  I am a big fan of the RB, until if feels the need to rewrite my code, at which point I _usually_ say thanks, but NO.  Beyond preferences for formatting, respect for placement of comments, etc., removing code can be the ultimate expression of changing, not simply refactoring code; the latter at least started out as behavior-preserving transformations.  The RB is a great tool for what it does, but it is not the ultimate answer to editing; I respectfully urge that we should not mistake it for such.

Apologies if I have let my hair trigger get bumped on this one :)

Bill

>     Know anyone a quick and dirty way how to remove methods in this Pharo?
>     Some keyboard shortcut? I really need to delete some methods just
>     spotted in my code...
>

> My experience is that right click -> refactor method -> remove sometimes
> doesn't work. So, I use right click -> various -> remove method.

This one is just too hidden ... :)

Yes. I think because it will then be removed. But I use it because, as I said, with the other option sometimes I have problems.

Thanks
Janko

--
Janko Mivšek
AIDA/Web
Smalltalk Web Application Server
http://www.aidaweb.si

Re: Experiences with 10342

Stéphane Ducasse
normally yes.
cmd-X and remove
may be it was removed by error

On Jun 25, 2009, at 9:02 PM, Schwab,Wilhelm K wrote:

> So there will no way to simply remove a method?  I am a big fan of
> the RB, until if feels the need to rewrite my code, at which point I
> _usually_ say thanks, but NO.  Beyond preferences for formatting,
> respect for placement of comments, etc., removing code can be the
> ultimate expression of changing, not simply refactoring code; the
> latter at least started out as behavior-preserving transformations.
> The RB is a great tool for what it does, but it is not the ultimate
> answer to editing; I respectfully urge that we should not mistake it
> for such.
>
> Apologies if I have let my hair trigger get bumped on this one :)
>
> Bill

Re: Experiences with 10342

Adrian Lienhard
On Jun 25, 2009, at 19:00 , Mariano Martinez Peck wrote:

>> - window controls are just the opposite and on the opposite side of
>> the
>> default one on Linux! This is very annoying and really a show-stopper
>> IMO, on Linux and also Windows. Can you auto setup the other
>> look@feel
>> by default here, as you did for swapMouse?
>

> I would really appreciate this feature also. As I don't use Mac this
> is
> weird for me.

Is there a preference that would need to be made platform dependent? I
don't quite understand (probably since I am on Mac).

Adrian

Re: Experiences with 10342

Mariano Martinez Peck

On Thu, Jun 25, 2009 at 6:46 PM, Adrian Lienhard <[hidden email]> wrote:
On Jun 25, 2009, at 19:00 , Mariano Martinez Peck wrote:

>> - window controls are just the opposite and on the opposite side of
>> the
>> default one on Linux! This is very annoying and really a show-stopper
>> IMO, on Linux and also Windows. Can you auto setup the other
>> look@feel
>> by default here, as you did for swapMouse?
>

> I would really appreciate this feature also. As I don't use Mac this
> is
> weird for me.

Is there a preference that would need to be made platform dependent? I
don't quite understand (probably since I am on Mac).

It would be nice :)  As the swapMouseButtons!
In Mac, you have the controls to minimize, maximize and close a windows on the top left of the windows. In Linux and Windows, this is on the right. So...using Polymorph in Linux or Windows is a bit weird for us.

Greetings,

Mariano

Adrian

Re: Experiences with 10342

Damien Cassou
2009/6/25 Mariano Martinez Peck <[hidden email]>:
>> Is there a preference that would need to be made platform dependent? I
>> don't quite understand (probably since I am on Mac).
>
> It would be nice :)  As the swapMouseButtons!
> In Mac, you have the controls to minimize, maximize and close a windows on
> the top left of the windows. In Linux and Windows, this is on the right.
> So...using Polymorph in Linux or Windows is a bit weird for us.

Just changing the Polymorph theme would do it I guess.

--
Damien Cassou
http://damiencassou.seasidehosting.st

popular by not having them." James Iry

Re: Experiences with 10342

Schwab,Wilhelm K
Agreed.  I suppose there could be a platform-dependent theme option that would make a reasonabl choice, but one should be able to override to use any theme anywhere.  One possible solution would be to add some sample scripts (could be as simple as do-its in a workspace) that customize a few things.

<whackDeadHorse>We should probably be more concerned about how long it takes to open a browser than we are about which of the various wonderful themes is selected by default.</whackDeadHorse>

Bill

2009/6/25 Mariano Martinez Peck <[hidden email]>:
>> Is there a preference that would need to be made platform dependent?
>> I don't quite understand (probably since I am on Mac).
>
> It would be nice :)  As the swapMouseButtons!
> In Mac, you have the controls to minimize, maximize and close a
> windows on the top left of the windows. In Linux and Windows, this is on the right.
> So...using Polymorph in Linux or Windows is a bit weird for us.

Just changing the Polymorph theme would do it I guess.

--
Damien Cassou
http://damiencassou.seasidehosting.st

"Lambdas are relegated to relative obscurity until Java makes them popular by not having them." James Iry

12