[ExperimentalCoreRelease] March 15 2010 - SL3dot11-9510-alpha

[ExperimentalCoreRelease] March 15 2010 - SL3dot11-9510-alpha

Edgar De Cleene
[ExperimentalCoreRelease] March 15 2010 - SL3dot11-9510-alpha Folks:
SL3dot11-9510-alpha is uploading to Experiments folder in ftp.

Was build from fresh 9371 “unloaded” and some things I add for choose which packages update a which not.
Also , all the weird things coming from SqueaklightII and MinimalMorphic and you could see on the videos.
Go to Experiments as in this moment is my fork wishing become 4.2 SqueakCore or the name and version we agree.
The .cs my procedure fileouts make goes to the updates folder of Experiments .
The first goal , follow the trunk with a unloaded .image and only let the packages we wish was updated is working well.
The second goal, the .image  updates from the updates folder, using only .cs, can’t be tested as we broke the add server and the naming server .
By the moment I can’t test the updated version of following code

'From SqueakLight|II of 31 May 2008 [latest update: #7228] on 10 June 2009 at 7:51:43 am'!

!Utilities class methodsFor: 'fetching updates' stamp: 'edc 6/10/2009 07:51'!
slUpdates
    "Utilities slUpdates"
    | previousHighest server dir count sourceFile fileName pos x |
    previousHighest := SystemVersion current highestUpdate.
    server := ServerDirectory serverNamed: 'SL'.
    dir := server directoryNamed: 'SLupdates'.
    count := 0.
    dir entries
        select: [:c |
            x := c name initialIntegerOrNil.
                ifNil: [x := 0].
            x > previousHighest]
        thenCollect: [:any |
            (any name endsWith: '.sqz')
                ifTrue: [fileName := any name.
                    pos := fileName findString: '.sqz'.
                    fileName := fileName copyFrom: 1 to: pos - 1.
                    sourceFile := HTTPLoader default retrieveContentsFor: 'ftp.squeak.org/various_images/SqueakLight//SLupdates/' , any name.
                    sourceFile := RWBinaryOrTextStream with: sourceFile content unzipped]
                ifFalse: [sourceFile := RWBinaryOrTextStream with: (dir getFileNamed: any name) contents.
                    sourceFile reset.
                    self saveUpdate: sourceFile onFile: any name].
            ChangeSorter newChangesFromStream: sourceFile named: any name.
            count := count + 1].
    PopUpMenu inform: count asString , ' new update file(s) processed.'.
    SystemVersion current registerUpdate: ChangeSorter highestNumberedChangeSet.
    SmalltalkImage current aboutThisSystem.! !

I hope once the add server and naming server was fixed, this could be used also.
Off course, as several times said and some do not read, wish try to have the less weird things possible.
Or some realize is not as weird as you think , polish my code, put your initials and go to trunk.

See you need SqueakV3dot11.sources, I upload also as .gz of this.

Edgar

Re: [ExperimentalCoreRelease] March 15 2010 - SL3dot11-9510-alpha

Bert Freudenberg
On 15.03.2010, at 08:28, Edgar J. De Cleene wrote:
> Folks:
> SL3dot11-9510-alpha is uploading to Experiments folder in ftp.
>
> Was build from fresh 9371 “unloaded” and some things I add for choose which packages update a which not.
> Also , all the weird things coming from SqueaklightII and MinimalMorphic and you could see on the videos.
> Go to Experiments as in this moment is my fork wishing become 4.2 SqueakCore or the name and version we agree.

Could you try to explain how these experiments relate at all to the 4.1 release? And 4.2 (first time I see that mentioned)?

- Bert -

On 3/15/10 9:22 AM, "Bert Freudenberg" <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Could you try to explain how these experiments relate at all to the 4.1
> release? And 4.2 (first time I see that mentioned)?
>
> - Bert -

You should read my mails....

It's not 4.1 at all.

For now, is a trunk unloaded at 9371 which follow the trunk updating only
core packages.
When polished , if all agree, could become 4.2 Core.

I have pages in swiki about SqueaklightII and some videos which should
illustrate about the complete SL3 dnu search of 'missed classes' from
server.

The 3dotnnn folders you see have compressed classes you could make with
ReleaseBuilderFor3dot11

For 3.8 I take the full .image.
Any could see how a class change from 3.8 to 3.9 to 3.10 to 3.11.

Of course the SqueakV3dot11.sources and the 3dot11 compressed was at 9371,
the last complete .zip.

On 15.03.2010, at 12:22, Edgar J. De Cleene wrote:

> On 3/15/10 9:22 AM, "Bert Freudenberg" <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> Could you try to explain how these experiments relate at all to the 4.1
>> release? And 4.2 (first time I see that mentioned)?
>>
>> - Bert -
>
> You should read my mails....
>
> It's not 4.1 at all.
>
> For now, is a trunk unloaded at 9371 which follow the trunk updating only
> core packages.
> When polished , if all agree, could become 4.2 Core.

I see. You have a lot of hats it seems ;)

So if these are personal experiments, maybe it would be a good idea to put them in a personal directory instead of the official download space.

I'll cc the box-admins: How about we give people personal directories on squeak.org for such experiments, e.g. squeak.org/~edc ?

- Bert -

On 3/15/10 10:28 AM, "Bert Freudenberg" <[hidden email]> wrote:

> So if these are personal experiments, maybe it would be a good idea to put
> them in a personal directory instead of the official download space.

Too late.
I ask and give the reasons behind the move.
And the response is yes
Now is not my own fork
Is a necessary point between a fork and a official to come release.
We still don't get 4.0, so why you bother if I work on 4.2?

And having the pet on the open , as previously agree, all could say sucks ,
so I fix and improve.
When we reach 4.2, we have a more mature and less "Wild South" product,
don't you think?

Only two hats:
Patrick Macnee hat in The Avengers
And a Jester one

On 15.03.2010, at 12:46, Edgar J. De Cleene wrote:

> On 3/15/10 10:28 AM, "Bert Freudenberg" <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> So if these are personal experiments, maybe it would be a good idea to put
>> them in a personal directory instead of the official download space.
>
> Too late.

It's never too late, hopefully :)

> I ask and give the reasons behind the move.
> And the response is yes
> Now is not my own fork

You asked for file space on squeak.org. We talked about that on the board. We felt it would be okay to allow this in the "Experiments" folder. So your wish was granted because we want to support experiments.

That by no means was an official endorsement. It's simply to help you do your experiments, regardless of the eventual outcome.

> Is a necessary point between a fork and a official to come release.

It's much too early to say how this will end up in a release to come. For now it's just that: an experiment. It may indeed become a future release, but when and how and if is not at all foreseeable yet.

> We still don't get 4.0, so why you bother if I work on 4.2?

Why *shouldn't* I be interested in what you do? :)

Also, I'm trying to be as explicit as possible with you in particular to overcome our language barriers.

> And having the pet on the open , as previously agree, all could say sucks ,
> so I fix and improve.

It would be as accessible in a personal directory. Only if more people started to work on this then indeed a shared directory would be better than a personal one.

Also it's a question of scaling: if many more people want to do their experiments then the personal directory idea works much better than a single directory.

- Bert -

Re: [ExperimentalCoreRelease] March 15 2010 - SL3dot11-9510-alpha

Ken Causey-3
On Mon, 2010-03-15 at 13:28 +0100, Bert Freudenberg wrote:
> I'll cc the box-admins: How about we give people personal directories
> on squeak.org for such experiments, e.g. squeak.org/~edc ?
>
> - Bert -

OK, first did you mean

http://ftp.squeak.org/users/edgardec/
ftp//ftp.squeak.org/users/edgardec/

(examples, these don't actually exist today)

or some similar thing?  I mean, you don't mean just having a personal
account?

Anyway, I'll assume that.  In fact we have 2 things that are similar but
not exactly this

1. http://ftp.squeak.org/various_images/

in fact Edgar is the primary user of this:

http://ftp.squeak.org/various_images/FunSqueak/
http://ftp.squeak.org/various_images/SqueakLight/

The idea is that the web-team manages this and uploads the files for you
and at the same times manages the 'Pre-configured images' section of

http://www.squeak.org/Download/

This can be requested by asking the web-team.

2. Alternately any user account can be setup (ask me) and use

http://users.squeak.org/~kencausey/  (for example)

What this lacks is FTP support.

We have to be a little careful with this, I'm not inclined to give just
anyone login access to the server at this point and we don't have a lot
of diskspace to allocate either.  But I could certainly accommodate a
few people who can control themselves. ;)

Ken

Re: [ExperimentalCoreRelease] March 15 2010 - SL3dot11-9510-alpha

Edgar De Cleene
To Andreas:

Which is the point I could safe apply Smalltalk unloadAllKnownPackages.
I see from the commits

> Andreas Raab uploaded a new version of System to project The Trunk:
> http://source.squeak.org/trunk/System-ar.238.mcz

> Name: System-ar.238
> Author: ar
> Time: 23 January 2010, 2:58:55.97 pm
> UUID: addb8be5-8830-6f47-b583-65eb6bb42c85
> Ancestors: System-nice.237
>
> Provide a script via Smalltalk unloadAllKnownPackages that can be used to
> unload all packages that we know how to un- and reload.
>
> =============== Diff against System-nice.237 ===============
>
> Item was added:
> + ----- Method: SystemDictionary>>unloadAllKnownPackages (in category
> 'shrinking') -----

I use 9371 for start SL3dot11-9510-alpha.
Wish start of earlier , make SqueakCore and SqueakCore sources and put on
Experiments folder.

No code from me without without the consent of at least one of the of 42
CoreDevelopers.

Sounds good ? More inclusive and less weird ?

Edgar