Exporting 4.4 projects to 4.5

Herbert König
Hi,

importing projects saved in 4.4 into 4.5 does not work.

If I save an empty project in 4.4 loading it in 4.5 complains about
missing MultiNewParagraph.

Looking into Multilingual-Scanning category I notice that most classes
are missing now.

Is this intentional?

Cheers

Herbert

Re: Exporting 4.4 projects to 4.5

Frank Shearar-3
On 8 March 2014 10:21, Herbert König <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> importing projects saved in 4.4 into 4.5 does not work.
>
> If I save an empty project in 4.4 loading it in 4.5 complains about missing
> MultiNewParagraph.
>
> Looking into Multilingual-Scanning category I notice that most classes are
> missing now.
>
> Is this intentional?

Do you have 45Deprecated loaded?

frank

> Cheers
>
> Herbert

Re: Exporting 4.4 projects to 4.5

Herbert König
Hi Frank,

I didn't but loading it doesn't help.

Neither does loading multilingual.

Cheers,

Herbert

Am 08.03.2014 15:37, schrieb Frank Shearar:

> On 8 March 2014 10:21, Herbert König <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> importing projects saved in 4.4 into 4.5 does not work.
>>
>> If I save an empty project in 4.4 loading it in 4.5 complains about missing
>> MultiNewParagraph.
>>
>> Looking into Multilingual-Scanning category I notice that most classes are
>> missing now.
>>
>> Is this intentional?
> Do you have 45Deprecated loaded?
>
> frank
>
>> Cheers
>>
>> Herbert

Re: Exporting 4.4 projects to 4.5

Chris Muller-3
MultiNewParagraph was removed. Applications should now use NewParagraph.

Here is a discussion about upgrading.

http://lists.squeakfoundation.org/pipermail/squeak-dev/2013-October/173820.html

On Sat, Mar 8, 2014 at 4:21 AM, Herbert König <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> importing projects saved in 4.4 into 4.5 does not work.
>
> If I save an empty project in 4.4 loading it in 4.5 complains about missing
> MultiNewParagraph.
>
> Looking into Multilingual-Scanning category I notice that most classes are
> missing now.
>
> Is this intentional?
>
> Cheers
>
> Herbert

Re: Exporting 4.4 projects to 4.5

timrowledge
One of the problems with literal serialising of objects is that it is not abstracted enough in the face of improvements, bugs fixes and the future in general.

I suppose we need some load-converters somewhere. What fun...

tim
Strange OpCodes: IA: Illogical And

Re: Exporting 4.4 projects to 4.5

Stéphane Rollandin
> If I save an empty project in 4.4 loading it in 4.5 complains about
> missing MultiNewParagraph.

What I did in my case, for transfering complex Morphs (not full
projects) from 4.4 to 4.5, was simply to file-in the attached file in
the 4.5 image.

Stef

MultiNewParagraph.st (3K) Download Attachment

Re: Exporting 4.4 projects to 4.5

Herbert König
Thanks Stef,

I achieved the same by replacing MultiNewParagraph with NewParagraph in the dialogue that comes up when loading a project that references a missing class.

Next is a DNU that PasteUpMorph doesn't understand #referencePool.

Anyway, I'll just stick to 4.4 until I start my next project that doesn't build on old things I've done. It's like that for years.
If it weren't for smart splitters in 4.5, so maybe I'll recreate the eight projects by hand :-)).

<rant>
You've been looking at code (your own old code or someone elses code) and ticking off questions until your head hurts. Most of the questions you haven't ticked off will start "Why...".

While I'm developing, especially while I think about what to code I create Morphic projects with questions, sketches, photos, arrows with annotations that mark dependencies, half grown UI's ..... These are invaluable documentation when revisiting code. They give me a chance to find answers to the "Why" questions.

I've benefited a lot from developing in the image where the documentation is.

Projects and Morphs are the things that set Squeak apart from any other environments I know.
</rant>

Cheers

Herbert

Am 09.03.2014 00:49, schrieb Stéphane Rollandin:
If I save an empty project in 4.4 loading it in 4.5 complains about
missing MultiNewParagraph.

What I did in my case, for transfering complex Morphs (not full projects) from 4.4 to 4.5, was simply to file-in the attached file in the 4.5 image.

Re: Exporting 4.4 projects to 4.5

Bert Freudenberg

On 10.03.2014, at 17:04, karl ramberg <[hidden email]> wrote:

A conversion could be added to SmartRefStream for MultiNewParagraph

It should indeed. These conversions are supposed to be automatic.

- Bert -

[...]

smime.p7s (5K) Download Attachment

Re: Exporting 4.4 projects to 4.5

Hannes Hirzel
On 3/20/14, Bert Freudenberg <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On 10.03.2014, at 17:04, karl ramberg <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> A conversion could be added to SmartRefStream for MultiNewParagraph
>>

> It should indeed. These conversions are supposed to be automatic.
>
> - Bert -

If some more  things like this pops up we might need a 4.5.1 release....

--Hannes