External opengl applications integration

External opengl applications integration

Florent THIERY-2
Hello again

I was wondering: is it conceptually feasible to cast opengl applications within a croquet warp window? For now, it's only vnc-like external app integration, right?

Would be truely amazing for packetgarden or google earth, especially if the transition is seamless, and if the collaborative aspect is kept (ex: take your students with you into a google earth portal, and teach them a history voice lesson using history layers).

Why not, using video capture/streaming...

Florent

Re: External opengl applications integration

Joshua Gargus-2
On Apr 20, 2007, at 7:19 AM, Florent THIERY wrote:

> Hello again
>
> I was wondering: is it conceptually feasible to cast opengl
> applications within a croquet warp window? For now, it's only vnc-
> like external app integration, right?
>
> Would be truely amazing for packetgarden or google earth,
> especially if the transition is seamless, and if the collaborative
> aspect is kept (ex: take your students with you into a google earth
> portal, and teach them a history voice lesson using history layers).
>
> Why not, using video capture/streaming...

In general, is not feasible to embed an arbitrary 3D application such
that each client has their own view (i.e. they can look around in
whatever direction they want).  This is especially true if not every
client has their own copy of the application.  However, even if
everyone has the application, it is not necessarily possible.
Leaving aside the OpenGL issues, there are serious issues around
synchronizing the apps.  Taking the example of an embedded web-
browser (non-VNC... each client has their own app)...

A user clicks on a link, which loads a new page.  They have a really
fast machine with a fast net connection, so the page loads quickly,
and they click on another link that appears.  Meanwhile, another user
is still waiting for the first page to load when they receive the
croquet-replicated click on the second link (which has not yet
appeared).  Uh-oh, the applications are out of sync.  This is one
example of how things *will* go wrong without very careful design for
even a "simple" 2D application.

I won't even get started on the OpenGL issues that can arise
(assuming that Google Earth even uses OpenGL on windows, and not
Direct3D... but I digress even after saying that I wasn't going
to :-); there are far too many of them.

Video-streaming is the only fool-proof approach to sharing 3D
applications.  Real 3D sharing may be possible for a *specific*
application (especially if you have the source code for that
application), but a general framework that will work with any/most/
many out-of-the-box 3D applications is currently out of the question.

Josh

> Florent

Re: External opengl applications integration

Peter Quirk-2
I think this issue of external integration (be it application, document, web
service, or device) needs more attention. Many successful new technologies
succeed because they incorporate what goes before them (color TVs  support
B&W content, current HDTVs support NTSC/PAL content, cell phones
interoperate with the landline network, etc.) I struggle to find cohesive
documentation or solutions for easily binding existing ("legacy") data to
croquet objects.

For example, I've been thinking about some business simulations. I need the
ability to present emails, existing documents (Microsoft Office, PDF, HTML,
etc.) to a viewer, and enable actions that may bind to external
applications. Some basic tools for presenting read-only content would
greatly accelerate the development of interesting Croquet applications in
the business or government sphere. I also need a variety of ways to interact
with external applications, from Java-based apps to databases to
proliferating media streams. We have basic ODBC interfaces, but not OLEDB
and XMLA, much less some interesting 2D and 3D metaphors for interfacing to
databases. We have basic MPEG/OGG/Vorbis support, but no way to load new
codecs via generalized plug-in host for codecs.

While Joshua makes extremely valid arguments for not embedding a web
browser, there are many situations where the unpredictable synchronization
would be acceptable. Heck, two people on different PCs don't even have
guarantees that what they see in their respective browsers is identical,
either in content or layout. I don't think that the scenario that Joshua
paints is any worse. VNC solutions are problematic. (My company blocks the
VNC protocol, even between two PCs on my desk.)

-- Peter

> On Apr 20, 2007, at 7:19 AM, Florent THIERY wrote:
>
>> Hello again
>>
>> I was wondering: is it conceptually feasible to cast opengl  applications
>> within a croquet warp window? For now, it's only vnc- like external app
>> integration, right?
>>
>> Would be truely amazing for packetgarden or google earth,  especially if
>> the transition is seamless, and if the collaborative  aspect is kept (ex:
>> take your students with you into a google earth  portal, and teach them a
>> history voice lesson using history layers).
>>
>> Why not, using video capture/streaming...
>
> In general, is not feasible to embed an arbitrary 3D application such
> that each client has their own view (i.e. they can look around in
> whatever direction they want).  This is especially true if not every
> client has their own copy of the application.  However, even if  everyone
> has the application, it is not necessarily possible.   Leaving aside the
> OpenGL issues, there are serious issues around  synchronizing the apps.
> Taking the example of an embedded web- browser (non-VNC... each client has
> their own app)...
>
> A user clicks on a link, which loads a new page.  They have a really  fast
> machine with a fast net connection, so the page loads quickly,  and they
> click on another link that appears.  Meanwhile, another user  is still
> waiting for the first page to load when they receive the
> croquet-replicated click on the second link (which has not yet  appeared).
> Uh-oh, the applications are out of sync.  This is one  example of how
> things *will* go wrong without very careful design for  even a "simple" 2D
> application.
>
> I won't even get started on the OpenGL issues that can arise  (assuming
> that Google Earth even uses OpenGL on windows, and not  Direct3D... but I
> digress even after saying that I wasn't going  to :-); there are far too
> many of them.
>
> Video-streaming is the only fool-proof approach to sharing 3D
> applications.  Real 3D sharing may be possible for a *specific*
> application (especially if you have the source code for that
> application), but a general framework that will work with any/most/ many
> out-of-the-box 3D applications is currently out of the question.
>
> Josh
>

>> Florent

Re: External opengl applications integration

Derek O'Connell
IIRC opengl can do client-server so sync could (possibly) be done by routers routing ogl commands,
maybe ogl server per independent app. Alternatively this may be relevant:
http://chromium.sourceforge.net/doc/LLNLcopy.html

PS: Of course video is often used where near-real-time guaranteed sync is a must.

--- [hidden email] wrote:

> I think this issue of external integration (be it application, document, web
> service, or device) needs more attention. Many successful new technologies
> succeed because they incorporate what goes before them (color TVs  support
> B&W content, current HDTVs support NTSC/PAL content, cell phones
> interoperate with the landline network, etc.) I struggle to find cohesive
> documentation or solutions for easily binding existing ("legacy") data to
> croquet objects.
>
> For example, I've been thinking about some business simulations. I need the
> ability to present emails, existing documents (Microsoft Office, PDF, HTML,
> etc.) to a viewer, and enable actions that may bind to external
> applications. Some basic tools for presenting read-only content would
> greatly accelerate the development of interesting Croquet applications in
> the business or government sphere. I also need a variety of ways to interact
> with external applications, from Java-based apps to databases to
> proliferating media streams. We have basic ODBC interfaces, but not OLEDB
> and XMLA, much less some interesting 2D and 3D metaphors for interfacing to
> databases. We have basic MPEG/OGG/Vorbis support, but no way to load new
> codecs via generalized plug-in host for codecs.
>
> While Joshua makes extremely valid arguments for not embedding a web
> browser, there are many situations where the unpredictable synchronization
> would be acceptable. Heck, two people on different PCs don't even have
> guarantees that what they see in their respective browsers is identical,
> either in content or layout. I don't think that the scenario that Joshua
> paints is any worse. VNC solutions are problematic. (My company blocks the
> VNC protocol, even between two PCs on my desk.)
>
> -- Peter

Howard Stearns
On Apr 20, 2007, at 3:23 PM, [hidden email] wrote:

> ...VNC solutions are problematic. (My company blocks the VNC
> protocol, even between two PCs on my desk.)

interesting...
What exactly are they blocking, and why?
What do they wish to prevent, or discourage, or encourage?
Who is the "they" that does so?

If you think it might be applicable, what sort of company is it
(industry, size, ...)?