External tasks do not recognize new methods after commit - only after restart !?!?!?!?!

Previous Topic Next Topic

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
10 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

External tasks do not recognize new methods after commit - only after restart !?!?!?!?!

GLASS mailing list
I noticed a problem I've never seen before:

I am working with Gemstone/S 3.5.1 and Jade 2.4.6. My development cycle is the following:

* Full Gemstone/S application is running with several answering Gemstone/S tasks (http)
* I change code in Jade and do a commit
* Then I execute something in our UI application to test the changes

This works very well - but today I noticed, that when I add a new method and call it in my application the answering tasks throw an error and tell me, that they do not understand the new method. I've never seen this before :-(

When I shut down the database and restart the application again everything is ok ... up to the time when I add a new method and want to execute it in the ansering tasks.

Reply | Threaded
|

Re: External tasks do not recognize new methods after commit - only after restart !?!?!?!?!

GLASS mailing list
Ok, it works in a clean Gemstone 3.5.1 without problems ... so it must be another reason for it ...

Marten
Marten Feldtmann via Glass <[hidden email]> hat am 29.10.2020 08:42 geschrieben:

I am working with Gemstone/S 3.5.1 and Jade 2.4.6. My development cycle is the following:

* Full Gemstone/S application is running with several answering Gemstone/S tasks (http)

This works very well - but today I noticed, that when I add a new method and call it in my application the answering tasks throw an error and tell me, that they do not understand the new method. I've never seen this before :-(

When I shut down the database and restart the application again everything is ok ... up to the time when I add a new method and want to execute it in the ansering tasks.

_______________________________________________ Glass mailing list [hidden email] https://lists.gemtalksystems.com/mailman/listinfo/glass

Reply | Threaded
|

Re: External tasks do not recognize new methods after commit - only after restart !?!?!?!?!

GLASS mailing list
In reply to this post by GLASS mailing list
Hi Marten,

While not common, this sort of problem happens to me once or twice a year and is pretty confusing till you figure out what is happening.

A common cause of this problem is that the running application is using an instance of a _different_ class; and by “different class” I mean a class with a different OOP (and therefore a different MethodDictionary). The class probably has the same name and inherits from the same superclass, but is not _the same_ class so adding a method to one does not change the other. This can happen when you add or remove instance variables, because doing so will create a new class _version_. (It can also happen when you remove a class from a SymbolDictionary then reload it while another session has a reference to an instance of the old class, but this isn’t as common as simply changing an instance variable.)

So, is there a chance that you added/removed/renamed an instance variable shortly before the problem started?

Note that Jade has a dialog that offers to migrate all instances as part of a class schema change. If the instance being used in the application is committed then this should catch it.

James

> On Oct 29, 2020, at 12:42 AM, Marten Feldtmann via Glass <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> I noticed a problem I've never seen before:
>
> I am working with Gemstone/S 3.5.1 and Jade 2.4.6. My development cycle is the following:
>
> * Full Gemstone/S application is running with several answering Gemstone/S tasks (http)
> * I change code in Jade and do a commit
> * Then I execute something in our UI application to test the changes
>
> This works very well - but today I noticed, that when I add a new method and call it in my application the answering tasks throw an error and tell me, that they do not understand the new method. I've never seen this before :-(
>
> When I shut down the database and restart the application again everything is ok ... up to the time when I add a new method and want to execute it in the ansering tasks.
>
>
> _______________________________________________
> Glass mailing list
> [hidden email]
> https://lists.gemtalksystems.com/mailman/listinfo/glass

Reply | Threaded
|

GLASS mailing list
In reply to this post by GLASS mailing list

Marten,

You have submitted an HR and we'll use the HR to characterize and resolve your issue, but since you asked a question on this list, I will fill in some details about how things work here so that other developers are informed.

You mention in the HR that you added a method to CharacterCollection ... and since I assume that you are running as DataCurator, that means that session methods are involved ... session methods are special in that extension methods that you add to classes in Globals as DataCurator (or any other non-SystemUser user) are not added directly to the method dictionary of the class, but stored in a separate dictionary (this is done because you do not have the right permissions to write to the method dictionaries of the classes in Globals).

The method dictionary and methods, like all persistent objects are updated at commit boundaries, but in our vms, copies of the persistent methods are installed in method caches for performance reasons. When a method is modified during a commit, the method cache for all other sessions are refreshed at commit boundaries.

Session methods use a different caching mechanism and  that is were things are apparently breaking down in your system.

In GLASS, the class SessionMethodTransactionBoundaryPolicy is used to track changes to session methods. An instance of SessionMethodTransactionBoundaryPolicy is installed at login at the same time that the session method "caches" are filled, when session methods are enabled.

The instance of SessionMethodTransactionBoundaryPolicy is notified at each transaction boundary and if any other session has made a change to the session methods, then the session method caches are cleared and reset ...

Soooo, the fact that new (and changed?) session methods are not being updated on transaction boundaries, means that something has gone wrong with the installation of SessionMethodTransactionBoundaryPolicy or with the logic for refreshing the session method caches on transaction boundaries...

As I said before, we'll work on addressing your specific issues via the HR system, but if anyone else has any questions, let me know.

Dale

On 10/29/20 12:42 AM, Marten Feldtmann via Glass wrote:

Reply | Threaded
|

GLASS mailing list
So, to make clear how this might affect your work:

We have a package with the pure model code (setter, getter etc)  and a package with the "logic" code on top of that model mackage. This logic code package is changed more often and normally I can update a running system just by loading the "logic" code package  - no downtime needed.

With the behaviour mentioned below, after such an update your code might fail: ALL running tasks WILL load the new code in the new version of the logic package (with thte next transaction) - but extension methods to base classes will not be seen by the processes and if your new logic code calls these method - it throws an exception.

This behaviour seems to be changed by the package Bootstrap-v34-dkh.264  - as pointed out by the GemtalkSystems support. Thanks for that.

Marten
Dale Henrichs <[hidden email]> hat am 29.10.2020 18:02 geschrieben:

Marten,

You have submitted an HR and we'll use the HR to characterize and resolve your issue, but since you asked a question on this list, I will fill in some details about how things work here so that other developers are informed.

You mention in the HR that you added a method to CharacterCollection ... and since I assume that you are running as DataCurator, that means that session methods are involved ... session methods are special in that extension methods that you add to classes in Globals as DataCurator (or any other non-SystemUser user) are not added directly to the method dictionary of the class, but stored in a separate dictionary (this is done because you do not have the right permissions to write to the method dictionaries of the classes in Globals).

The method dictionary and methods, like all persistent objects are updated at commit boundaries, but in our vms, copies of the persistent methods are installed in method caches for performance reasons. When a method is modified during a commit, the method cache for all other sessions are refreshed at commit boundaries.

Session methods use a different caching mechanism and  that is were things are apparently breaking down in your system.

In GLASS, the class SessionMethodTransactionBoundaryPolicy is used to track changes to session methods. An instance of SessionMethodTransactionBoundaryPolicy is installed at login at the same time that the session method "caches" are filled, when session methods are enabled.

The instance of SessionMethodTransactionBoundaryPolicy is notified at each transaction boundary and if any other session has made a change to the session methods, then the session method caches are cleared and reset ...

Soooo, the fact that new (and changed?) session methods are not being updated on transaction boundaries, means that something has gone wrong with the installation of SessionMethodTransactionBoundaryPolicy or with the logic for refreshing the session method caches on transaction boundaries...

As I said before, we'll work on addressing your specific issues via the HR system, but if anyone else has any questions, let me know.

Dale

Reply | Threaded
|

GLASS mailing list
I've to correct my message:

SessionMethodTransactionBoundaryPolicy install

did fix my problems
Marten Feldtmann via Glass <[hidden email]> hat am 31.10.2020 12:10 geschrieben:

So, to make clear how this might affect your work:

We have a package with the pure model code (setter, getter etc)  and a package with the "logic" code on top of that model mackage. This logic code package is changed more often and normally I can update a running system just by loading the "logic" code package  - no downtime needed.

With the behaviour mentioned below, after such an update your code might fail: ALL running tasks WILL load the new code in the new version of the logic package (with thte next transaction) - but extension methods to base classes will not be seen by the processes and if your new logic code calls these method - it throws an exception.

This behaviour seems to be changed by the package Bootstrap-v34-dkh.264  - as pointed out by the GemtalkSystems support. Thanks for that.

Marten
Dale Henrichs <[hidden email]> hat am 29.10.2020 18:02 geschrieben:

Marten,

Dale

_______________________________________________ Glass mailing list [hidden email] https://lists.gemtalksystems.com/mailman/listinfo/glass

Reply | Threaded
|

GLASS mailing list

Marten,

I'm glad that you were able to determine that something had perturbed `TransactionBoundaryDefaultPolicy current` and yes, `SessionMethodTransactionBoundaryPolicy install` will set things right again ...

Of course, the million dollar question is "how did that happen?" and in your HR you note that the only db that exhibits this problem is one that had been upgraded and that is an interesting observation.

At this moment I don't have a smoking gun, but it is worth noting that I also don't have a test that confirms that the SessionMethodTransactionBoundaryPolicy is properly installed, so a regression in this area during upgrade could certainly fall between the cracks. So thanks, Marten for this information. I've opened issue #129 "Kernel class modifications not propagated to other sessions on transaction boundaries as expected"[1] with the first step of adding a test case(SessionMethodTransactionBoundaryPolicyTests>>testConfirmSessionMethodTransactionBoundaryPolicyInstalled):

self
	assert:
		(TransactionBoundaryDefaultPolicy current
			isKindOf: SessionMethodTransactionBoundaryPolicy)

Once, I've merged the new testcase into the glassdb/glass[2] master branch, I'll trigger the GsDevKit/GsDevKit_home travis tests[3], which has a coverage for upgrades for GemStone 2.4.4.1, 3.1.0.6, 3.3.9, 3.4.5, 3.5.0 and 3.5.4. The coverage is not a full matrix of possible upgrade combinations, but should be enough to get a read on the possible extent of the problems, if any.

Of course at this point in time, if any of you listening in on this conversation haven't already done so, I'd suggest that it would be prudent to go ahead and confirm that the SessionMethodTransactionBoundaryPolicy in your db's are properly installed:

TransactionBoundaryDefaultPolicy current isKindOf: SessionMethodTransactionBoundaryPolicy

and if it is not a SessionMethodTransactionBoundaryPolicy, use the following to do the repair:

I would encourage any of you to report results/observations on Issue #129[1] going forward.

I'll report back the test results here when they become available ... travis has been overloaded recently so it might take a while for the full set of tests to run:)

Dale

[1] https://github.com/GsDevKit/GsDevKit/issues/129

On 10/31/20 8:36 AM, Marten Feldtmann wrote:

Reply | Threaded
|

GLASS mailing list

I've added the new test to glassdb/glass and updated the GsDevKit/GsDevKit_home tests to ensure that the unit tests are run on the upgraded extent and it turns out that all of the upgrades to 3.5.x are failing[1] and the only failure is the new SessionMethodTransactionBoundaryPolicyTests>>testConfirmSessionMethodTransactionBoundaryPolicyInstalled test ... this means that if you have upgraded to 3.5.x (including 3.5.x to 3.5.x upgrades ... see [2]) you should definitely run:

System commit

I will plan on having a fix for this issue (internal bug 49225) for 3.5.5.

Given the ease of repairing this issue, I wouldn't think you should defer any upgrade plans you might have to wait for 3.5.5, but that is up to you.

Dale

[1] https://travis-ci.org/github/GsDevKit/GsDevKit_home/builds/741019503
[2] https://travis-ci.org/github/GsDevKit/GsDevKit_home/jobs/741019513
On 11/1/20 11:19 AM, Dale Henrichs wrote:

Marten,

I'm glad that you were able to determine that something had perturbed `TransactionBoundaryDefaultPolicy current` and yes, `SessionMethodTransactionBoundaryPolicy install` will set things right again ...

Of course, the million dollar question is "how did that happen?" and in your HR you note that the only db that exhibits this problem is one that had been upgraded and that is an interesting observation.

At this moment I don't have a smoking gun, but it is worth noting that I also don't have a test that confirms that the SessionMethodTransactionBoundaryPolicy is properly installed, so a regression in this area during upgrade could certainly fall between the cracks. So thanks, Marten for this information. I've opened issue #129 "Kernel class modifications not propagated to other sessions on transaction boundaries as expected"[1] with the first step of adding a test case(SessionMethodTransactionBoundaryPolicyTests>>testConfirmSessionMethodTransactionBoundaryPolicyInstalled):

self
	assert:

Once, I've merged the new testcase into the glassdb/glass[2] master branch, I'll trigger the GsDevKit/GsDevKit_home travis tests[3], which has a coverage for upgrades for GemStone 2.4.4.1, 3.1.0.6, 3.3.9, 3.4.5, 3.5.0 and 3.5.4. The coverage is not a full matrix of possible upgrade combinations, but should be enough to get a read on the possible extent of the problems, if any.

Of course at this point in time, if any of you listening in on this conversation haven't already done so, I'd suggest that it would be prudent to go ahead and confirm that the SessionMethodTransactionBoundaryPolicy in your db's are properly installed:

TransactionBoundaryDefaultPolicy current isKindOf: SessionMethodTransactionBoundaryPolicy

and if it is not a SessionMethodTransactionBoundaryPolicy, use the following to do the repair:

I would encourage any of you to report results/observations on Issue #129[1] going forward.

I'll report back the test results here when they become available ... travis has been overloaded recently so it might take a while for the full set of tests to run:)

Dale

Reply | Threaded
|

GLASS mailing list

As a final followup to this issue, I have updated the GsDevKit_home $GS_HOME/bin/upgradeStone script to reinstall the SessionMethodTransactionBoundaryPolicy after an upgrade to 3.5.x has been completed, so no need to manually patch after an upgrade ...

If you want to follow along at home, you should run `updateGsDevKit -gs` to pick up the new version of GsDevKit_home and the updates to class (new SessionMethodTransactionBoundaryPolicyTests) --- this is assuming that you've already run the update I suggested back in October[1], otherwise you should use `updateGsDevKit -gctsd` (this expression basically updates and rebuilds everything except your stones:)

Dale

[1] http://forum.world.st/recent-project-updates-for-3-5-4-and-upcoming-3-6-0-tt5123345.html

On 11/3/20 8:49 AM, Dale Henrichs wrote:

I've added the new test to glassdb/glass and updated the GsDevKit/GsDevKit_home tests to ensure that the unit tests are run on the upgraded extent and it turns out that all of the upgrades to 3.5.x are failing[1] and the only failure is the new SessionMethodTransactionBoundaryPolicyTests>>testConfirmSessionMethodTransactionBoundaryPolicyInstalled test ... this means that if you have upgraded to 3.5.x (including 3.5.x to 3.5.x upgrades ... see [2]) you should definitely run:

System commit

Given the ease of repairing this issue, I wouldn't think you should defer any upgrade plans you might have to wait for 3.5.5, but that is up to you.

Dale

Marten,

self
	assert:

Dale

Reply | Threaded
|

GLASS mailing list
Thanks, that pretty nice !

Marten
Dale Henrichs <[hidden email]> hat am 05.11.2020 18:14 geschrieben:

As a final followup to this issue, I have updated the GsDevKit_home $GS_HOME/bin/upgradeStone script to reinstall the SessionMethodTransactionBoundaryPolicy after an upgrade to 3.5.x has been completed, so no need to manually patch after an upgrade ...

If you want to follow along at home, you should run `updateGsDevKit -gs` to pick up the new version of GsDevKit_home and the updates to class (new SessionMethodTransactionBoundaryPolicyTests) --- this is assuming that you've already run the update I suggested back in October[1], otherwise you should use `updateGsDevKit -gctsd` (this expression basically updates and rebuilds everything except your stones:)

Dale

[1] http://forum.world.st/recent-project-updates-for-3-5-4-and-upcoming-3-6-0-tt5123345.html

On 11/3/20 8:49 AM, Dale Henrichs wrote:

System commit

Dale

Marten,

self
 assert:

Dale