F-Script

Francisco Diaz Trepat - gmail
Hi guys, this might be about the first or second time I write to the list. I hadn't being involve so much but I do read it frequently.

I was wondering if you knew, or if any-one at squeak dev had participated in the F-Script...

I saw a demo video at google the other day and was pretty impressed.

Has anybody seen it, heard of it, developed it?

I was looking for some comments/opinions.

cheers,

f(t)

Re: F-Script

Tim Johnson-6

On Jul 3, 2007, at 10:18 AM, Francisco Diaz Trepat - gmail wrote:

Hi guys, this might be about the first or second time I write to the list. I hadn't being involve so much but I do read it frequently.

I was wondering if you knew, or if any-one at squeak dev had participated in the F-Script...

I saw a demo video at google the other day and was pretty impressed.

Has anybody seen it, heard of it, developed it?

I was looking for some comments/opinions.

Hi,

I've used F-Script.  It's very nice.  Doesn't have a lot to do with Squeak, though :D

It is very nice when I am writing Cocoa programs to use F-Script Anywhere to embed F-Script within my application, and then modify my program's objects live and in Smalltalk.

Cheers,
Tim

Re: F-Script

stephane ducasse
Philippe did an excellent job. It is really cool to be able to script
Mac os x objects.

Stef

On 3 juil. 07, at 17:18, Francisco Diaz Trepat - gmail wrote:

> Hi guys, this might be about the first or second time I write to
> the list. I hadn't being involve so much but I do read it frequently.
>
> I was wondering if you knew, or if any-one at squeak dev had
> participated in the F-Script...
>
> I saw a demo video at google the other day and was pretty impressed.
>
> Has anybody seen it, heard of it, developed it?
>
> I was looking for some comments/opinions.
>
> cheers,
>
> f(t)

Re: F-Script

Francisco Diaz Trepat - gmail
My thoughts exactly, although I thought someone in the squeak community had hepled him out.

Here is a nice video. Philippe must work on his speach a little bit though. ;-)

Viva La Françe !!!

f(t)

On 7/4/07, stephane ducasse <[hidden email]> wrote:
Philippe did an excellent job. It is really cool to be able to script
Mac os x objects.

Stef

On 3 juil. 07, at 17:18, Francisco Diaz Trepat - gmail wrote:

> Hi guys, this might be about the first or second time I write to
> the list. I hadn't being involve so much but I do read it frequently.
>
> I was wondering if you knew, or if any-one at squeak dev had
> participated in the F-Script...
>
> I saw a demo video at google the other day and was pretty impressed.
>
> Has anybody seen it, heard of it, developed it?
>
> I was looking for some comments/opinions.
>
> cheers,
>
> f(t)

Re: F-Script

Francisco Diaz Trepat - gmail
It was brought to my attencion that some of you use text only mail so I'll send you the url to the video, for those who where unable to see the linked "video" word in the sentence.

 I linked the word video in the "Here is a nice video." sentence. here is the unlinked (for some) url
f(t)

PS: the video its quite good.

Here is a nice <a onclick="return top.js.OpenExtLink(window,event,this)" href="http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-2563969716754696790&amp;q=engedu+FSCRIPT&amp;total=1&amp;start=0&amp;num=10&amp;so=0&amp;type=search&amp;plindex=0" target="_blank"> video. Philippe must work on his speach a little bit though. ;-)

Viva La Françe !!!

f(t)

On 7/4/07, stephane ducasse <[hidden email]> wrote:
Philippe did an excellent job. It is really cool to be able to script
Mac os x objects.

Stef

On 3 juil. 07, at 17:18, Francisco Diaz Trepat - gmail wrote:

> Hi guys, this might be about the first or second time I write to
> the list. I hadn't being involve so much but I do read it frequently.
>
> I was wondering if you knew, or if any-one at squeak dev had
> participated in the F-Script...
>
> I saw a demo video at google the other day and was pretty impressed.
>
> Has anybody seen it, heard of it, developed it?
>
> I was looking for some comments/opinions.
>
> cheers,
>
> f(t)

Re: F-Script

Aaron Reichow
On Jul 3, 2007, at 10:18 AM, Francisco Diaz Trepat - gmail wrote:
..
> Has anybody seen it, heard of it, developed it?

F-Script is cool, and a great way to explore the Cocoa API. Because
of it, I finally gained some respect for the Cocoa API as something
similar in power as your run of the mill Smalltalk class library.
I've used it to write some scripts for when I was using a Newton a
lot still- I wrote a 5 line script in F-Script that took a PDF and
outputted an HTML page with PNGs for each page of the PDF. No PDF
readers for the Newton OS, and this was a pretty decent way to read
some PDFs.  Because of its great interactivity for playing with and
discovering what Cocoa provides, it was the ideal environment to
figure this out in. I then took the F-Script and brought it over to
Squeak, where I was using the ObjC bridge to do the same calls, but
also a little web interfacing with Comanche (go to page, put PDF url,
do ObjC calls, return HTML linking to PNGs). It was pretty slick and
took less time than compiling GhostScript on my machine at the time.

That said, I would like it more if you could actually develop with
it. While I like the Cocoa API, you can't use F-Script to develop
applications for Cocoa, completely. You can't create new subclasses,
so it is confined to scripting. I don't know about F-Script's
internals, but it seems to me that it wouldn't be too hard to flesh
out into a usable, more complete Smalltalk-with-Cocoa-libs
implementation for developing full apps without the need to write
code in both F-Script and ObjC.

I don't quite understand the excitement some folks get over the @
operand for basically doing #collect:. I mean, it's cool, but I was
able to implement it in Squeak in minutes. It's impressive for folks
who have been stuck in a block-less language, I don't blame them for
that!

Regards,
Aaron