FFI & Windows 7: troubled

CdAB63
Hello,

It seems that FFI-win32 is broken: during load it'll complain about classSide message (meta object). And there's indeed no classSide stuff.

MCMethodDefinition>>actualClass
    ^Smalltalk at: className
        ifPresent: [ :class | classIsMeta ifTrue: [ class classSide ] ifFalse: [ class ]]

Re: FFI & Windows 7: troubled

Frank Shearar-3
On 15 April 2013 20:07, Casimiro de Almeida Barreto
<[hidden email]> wrote:
> Hello,
>
> It seems that FFI-win32 is broken: during load it'll complain about
> classSide message (meta object). And there's indeed no classSide stuff.
>
> MCMethodDefinition>>actualClass
>     ^Smalltalk at: className
>         ifPresent: [ :class | classIsMeta ifTrue: [ class classSide ]
> ifFalse: [ class ]]

How did you try to load FFI? Into what version of Squeak?

frank

Re: FFI & Windows 7: troubled

CdAB63
On 16-04-2013 06:41, Frank Shearar wrote:

> On 15 April 2013 20:07, Casimiro de Almeida Barreto
> <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> Hello,
>>
>> It seems that FFI-win32 is broken: during load it'll complain about
>> classSide message (meta object). And there's indeed no classSide stuff.
>>
>> MCMethodDefinition>>actualClass
>>     ^Smalltalk at: className
>>         ifPresent: [ :class | classIsMeta ifTrue: [ class classSide ]
>> ifFalse: [ class ]]
> How did you try to load FFI? Into what version of Squeak?
>
> frank

Using monticello browser. Version 4.4 All-in-one updated from trunk (all
in one). Latest version of FFI from sources.squeak.org.

CdAB

Re: FFI & Windows 7: troubled

Frank Shearar-3
On 16 April 2013 16:26, Casimiro de Almeida Barreto
<[hidden email]> wrote:

> On 16-04-2013 06:41, Frank Shearar wrote:
>> On 15 April 2013 20:07, Casimiro de Almeida Barreto
>> <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>> Hello,
>>>
>>> It seems that FFI-win32 is broken: during load it'll complain about
>>> classSide message (meta object). And there's indeed no classSide stuff.
>>>
>>> MCMethodDefinition>>actualClass
>>>     ^Smalltalk at: className
>>>         ifPresent: [ :class | classIsMeta ifTrue: [ class classSide ]
>>> ifFalse: [ class ]]
>> How did you try to load FFI? Into what version of Squeak?
>>
>> frank
>>

> Using monticello browser. Version 4.4 All-in-one updated from trunk (all
> in one). Latest version of FFI from sources.squeak.org.

I ask, because I know the Installer (head) version off SqueakMap loads
cleanly into an up-to-date 4.4, even though a bunch of tests fail [1].
Are you trying to load the FFI-Win32 package without first loading
FFI-Kernel and FFI-Pools?

Installer squeakMap
  update;
  install: 'FFI (head)'

does the same thing as

(Installer repository: 'http://source.squeak.org/FFI')
    install: 'FFI-Pools';
    install: 'FFI-Kernel';
    install: 'FFI-Tests'

but note that you _must_ have these packages loaded _before_ you load FFI-Win32.

frank

[1] http://build.squeak.org/job/ExternalPackages-Squeak4.4/39/#showFailuresLink

> CdAB

Re: FFI & Windows 7: troubled

CdAB63
On 16-04-2013 12:34, Frank Shearar wrote:

> On 16 April 2013 16:26, Casimiro de Almeida Barreto
> <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> On 16-04-2013 06:41, Frank Shearar wrote:

>>> How did you try to load FFI? Into what version of Squeak?
>>>
>>> frank
>>>

>> Using monticello browser. Version 4.4 All-in-one updated from trunk (all
>> in one). Latest version of FFI from sources.squeak.org.
> I ask, because I know the Installer (head) version off SqueakMap loads
> cleanly into an up-to-date 4.4, even though a bunch of tests fail [1].
> Are you trying to load the FFI-Win32 package without first loading
> FFI-Kernel and FFI-Pools?
>
> Installer squeakMap
>   update;
>   install: 'FFI (head)'
>
> does the same thing as
>
> (Installer repository: 'http://source.squeak.org/FFI')
>     install: 'FFI-Pools';
>     install: 'FFI-Kernel';
>     install: 'FFI-Tests'
>
> but note that you _must_ have these packages loaded _before_ you load FFI-Win32.
>
> frank
>
> [1] http://build.squeak.org/job/ExternalPackages-Squeak4.4/39/#showFailuresLink
>
>> CdAB

No.

1st: FFI-Pools
2nd: FFI-Kernel
3rd: FFI-win32

But the problem is at MCMethodDefinition, at the message actualClass. If
the test for classIsMeta is true, then it tries the message classSide.
Such message does not exist. Was it deprecated ???

Re: FFI & Windows 7: troubled

Frank Shearar-3
On 16 April 2013 21:14, Casimiro de Almeida Barreto
<[hidden email]> wrote:

> On 16-04-2013 12:34, Frank Shearar wrote:
>> On 16 April 2013 16:26, Casimiro de Almeida Barreto
>> <[hidden email]> wrote:

>>> Using monticello browser. Version 4.4 All-in-one updated from trunk (all
>>> in one). Latest version of FFI from sources.squeak.org.
>> I ask, because I know the Installer (head) version off SqueakMap loads
>> cleanly into an up-to-date 4.4, even though a bunch of tests fail [1].
>> Are you trying to load the FFI-Win32 package without first loading
>> FFI-Kernel and FFI-Pools?
>>
>> Installer squeakMap
>>   update;
>>   install: 'FFI (head)'
>>
>> does the same thing as
>>
>> (Installer repository: 'http://source.squeak.org/FFI')
>>     install: 'FFI-Pools';
>>     install: 'FFI-Kernel';
>>     install: 'FFI-Tests'
>>
>> but note that you _must_ have these packages loaded _before_ you load FFI-Win32.
>>
>> frank
>>
>> [1] http://build.squeak.org/job/ExternalPackages-Squeak4.4/39/#showFailuresLink
>>
>>> CdAB
>>>

> No.
>
> 1st: FFI-Pools
> 2nd: FFI-Kernel
> 3rd: FFI-win32
>
> But the problem is at MCMethodDefinition, at the message actualClass. If
> the test for classIsMeta is true, then it tries the message classSide.
> Such message does not exist. Was it deprecated ???

What's the value of className in MCMethodDefinition >> #actualClass?

frank

Re: FFI & Windows 7: troubled

CdAB63

a Dictionary()

From: Environment>>at: aSymbol ifPresent: aBlock
aSymbol is #Win32Constants
aBlock is: (closure) allInstanceVars: outercontext:
MCMethodDefinition>>actualclass; startpc: 31 numargs: 1

Goes to: IdentityDictionary(Dictionary)>>at:ifPresent:

and then to the code snippet I sent MCMethodDefinition>>actualClass

Re: FFI & Windows 7: troubled

CdAB63
On 16-04-2013 18:15, Frank Shearar wrote:

> On 16 April 2013 21:14, Casimiro de Almeida Barreto
> <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> On 16-04-2013 12:34, Frank Shearar wrote:

>>> I ask, because I know the Installer (head) version off SqueakMap loads
>>> cleanly into an up-to-date 4.4, even though a bunch of tests fail [1].
>>> Are you trying to load the FFI-Win32 package without first loading
>>> FFI-Kernel and FFI-Pools?
>>>
>>> Installer squeakMap
>>>   update;
>>>   install: 'FFI (head)'
>>>
>>> does the same thing as
>>>
>>> (Installer repository: 'http://source.squeak.org/FFI')
>>>     install: 'FFI-Pools';
>>>     install: 'FFI-Kernel';
>>>     install: 'FFI-Tests'
>>>
>>> but note that you _must_ have these packages loaded _before_ you load FFI-Win32.
>>>
>>> frank
>>>
>>> [1] http://build.squeak.org/job/ExternalPackages-Squeak4.4/39/#showFailuresLink

>> No.
>>
>> 1st: FFI-Pools
>> 2nd: FFI-Kernel
>> 3rd: FFI-win32
>>
>> But the problem is at MCMethodDefinition, at the message actualClass. If
>> the test for classIsMeta is true, then it tries the message classSide.
>> Such message does not exist. Was it deprecated ???
> What's the value of className in MCMethodDefinition >> #actualClass?
>
> frank

Ok, this morning I tried:

(Installer repository: 'http://source.squeak.org/FFI')
    install: 'FFI-Pools';
    install: 'FFI-Kernel';
    install: 'FFI-Tests';
    install: 'FFI-Win32'

and the same problem happened while loading FFI-Win32.

CdAB

Re: FFI & Windows 7: troubled

Frank Shearar-3
On 17 April 2013 19:44, Casimiro de Almeida Barreto
<[hidden email]> wrote:

> On 16-04-2013 18:15, Frank Shearar wrote:
>> On 16 April 2013 21:14, Casimiro de Almeida Barreto
>> <[hidden email]> wrote:

>>> No.
>>>
>>> 1st: FFI-Pools
>>> 2nd: FFI-Kernel
>>> 3rd: FFI-win32
>>>
>>> But the problem is at MCMethodDefinition, at the message actualClass. If
>>> the test for classIsMeta is true, then it tries the message classSide.
>>> Such message does not exist. Was it deprecated ???
>> What's the value of className in MCMethodDefinition >> #actualClass?
>>
>> frank
>>

> Ok, this morning I tried:
>
> (Installer repository: 'http://source.squeak.org/FFI')
>     install: 'FFI-Pools';
>     install: 'FFI-Kernel';
>     install: 'FFI-Tests';
>     install: 'FFI-Win32'
>
> and the same problem happened while loading FFI-Win32.

I'll try reproduce the problem tomorrow, when I'm back in the office.
(I've no Windows machines at home.) One thing that you might well need
to do - but you haven't mentioned the symptom that it causes - is to
set the preference that allows underscores in selectors:

    Scanner prefAllowUnderscoreSelectors: true.

(The symptom is moaning about "WS" things, because FFI-Win32 has a
bunch of WS_FOO things.)

frank

> CdAB

Re: FFI & Windows 7: troubled

CdAB63
On 17-04-2013 17:09, Frank Shearar wrote:

> On 17 April 2013 19:44, Casimiro de Almeida Barreto
> <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> On 16-04-2013 18:15, Frank Shearar wrote:

>>> What's the value of className in MCMethodDefinition >> #actualClass?
>>>
>>> frank
>>>

>> Ok, this morning I tried:
>>
>> (Installer repository: 'http://source.squeak.org/FFI')
>>     install: 'FFI-Pools';
>>     install: 'FFI-Kernel';
>>     install: 'FFI-Tests';
>>     install: 'FFI-Win32'
>>
>> and the same problem happened while loading FFI-Win32.
> I'll try reproduce the problem tomorrow, when I'm back in the office.
> (I've no Windows machines at home.) One thing that you might well need
> to do - but you haven't mentioned the symptom that it causes - is to
> set the preference that allows underscores in selectors:
>
>     Scanner prefAllowUnderscoreSelectors: true.
>
> (The symptom is moaning about "WS" things, because FFI-Win32 has a
> bunch of WS_FOO things.)
>
> frank
>
>> CdAB

Yeah. Problem was wicked underscores... In linux I allow all underscores
(compiler), but as I don't use Windows in my day to day life, I just
forgot to adjust the settings properly.

Thnx.

Re: FFI & Windows 7: troubled

Frank Shearar-3

On 18 Apr 2013, at 5:52, Casimiro de Almeida Barreto <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On 17-04-2013 17:09, Frank Shearar wrote:
>> On 17 April 2013 19:44, Casimiro de Almeida Barreto
>> <[hidden email]> wrote:

>>> Ok, this morning I tried:
>>>
>>> (Installer repository: 'http://source.squeak.org/FFI')
>>>    install: 'FFI-Pools';
>>>    install: 'FFI-Kernel';
>>>    install: 'FFI-Tests';
>>>    install: 'FFI-Win32'
>>>
>>> and the same problem happened while loading FFI-Win32.
>> I'll try reproduce the problem tomorrow, when I'm back in the office.
>> (I've no Windows machines at home.) One thing that you might well need
>> to do - but you haven't mentioned the symptom that it causes - is to
>> set the preference that allows underscores in selectors:
>>
>>    Scanner prefAllowUnderscoreSelectors: true.
>>
>> (The symptom is moaning about "WS" things, because FFI-Win32 has a
>> bunch of WS_FOO things.)
>>
>> frank
>>
>>> CdAB
>>>

> Yeah. Problem was wicked underscores... In linux I allow all underscores
> (compiler), but as I don't use Windows in my day to day life, I just
> forgot to adjust the settings properly.
>
> Thnx.

Blast, I should have mentioned that straight away then. The proper solution to this is for some kind soul to write a ConfigurationOfFFI that handles this for you (like Xtreams does)

Glad to hear you're up & running though!

frank