FFI and current images/VMs

cbc

FFI and current images/VMs

cbc
Over the last week, I've been trying to build a new image on the latest trunk, which for my purposes needs to include ODBC, and until just recently, I've been failing.

After rooting around a bit, I finally found that the base trunk image I was using (from this location: http://files.squeak.org/6.0alpha/ ) seems to all be based off of this VM:
Inline image 3
 My previous image that I was porting from is:
Inline image 2
which worked fine calling out FFI/ODBC.
After trying many changes (looking at 64 bit image, 32 bit image, other fumbling around), I finally tracked down a current VM from
This version:
Inline image 1
seems to work just fine with FFI (at leat, it runs the ODBC code without a hitch).  Even in the 64 bit version.

I've sent this message for a few reasons:
1 - for my future self, to remember where the link is for the most current VM's (I can't find a link to it elsewhere outside of the email archives)
2 - for anyone else having FFI issues
3 - as a subtle request to eventually update the stable, blessed version of the VMs that are used in the bleeding edge Image archives, so that they work better with less hassle.

Thanks,
cbc

Re: FFI and current images/VMs

fniephaus
Hi Chris,

On Wed, Apr 19, 2017 at 6:57 PM Chris Cunningham <[hidden email]> wrote:
Over the last week, I've been trying to build a new image on the latest trunk, which for my purposes needs to include ODBC, and until just recently, I've been failing.

After rooting around a bit, I finally found that the base trunk image I was using (from this location: http://files.squeak.org/6.0alpha/ ) seems to all be based off of this VM:
image.png

I've added the link to the vm section at: http://squeak.org/downloads/

2 - for anyone else having FFI issues
3 - as a subtle request to eventually update the stable, blessed version of the VMs that are used in the bleeding edge Image archives, so that they work better with less hassle.

I'm afraid we still don't have a good release process in place.
However, I'm happy to update the vm used for the Squeak trunk bundles with a current bleeding edge vm if no one objects.

Best,
Fabio

Thanks,
cbc

Re: FFI and current images/VMs

Eliot Miranda-2

On Thu, Apr 20, 2017 at 12:01 PM, Fabio Niephaus <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

Sounds good to me.  Recent changes have been bug fixes or performance improvements anyway.

Best,
Fabio

Thanks,
cbc

--
_,,,^..^,,,_
best, Eliot

Re: FFI and current images/VMs

Hannes Hirzel
No objection at all if the All-In-One bundle contains a MSwindows VM
which works fine for FFI.

Thank you Chris for testing and reporting the results!

BTW could the process which generates the all-in-one-bundles be restarted?

http://files.squeak.org/6.0alpha/

--Hannes

On 4/21/17, Eliot Miranda <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On Thu, Apr 20, 2017 at 12:01 PM, Fabio Niephaus <[hidden email]>
> wrote:
>
>> Hi Chris,
>>
>> On Wed, Apr 19, 2017 at 6:57 PM Chris Cunningham
>> <[hidden email]>
>> wrote:
>>
>>> Over the last week, I've been trying to build a new image on the latest
>>> trunk, which for my purposes needs to include ODBC, and until just
>>> recently, I've been failing.
>>>
>>> After rooting around a bit, I finally found that the base trunk image I
>>> was using (from this location: http://files.squeak.org/6.0alpha/ ) seems
>>> to all be based off of this VM:
>>> [image: image.png]
>>>  My previous image that I was porting from is:
>>> [image: image.png]
>>> which worked fine calling out FFI/ODBC.
>>> After trying many changes (looking at 64 bit image, 32 bit image, other
>>> fumbling around), I finally tracked down a current VM from
>>> https://bintray.com/opensmalltalk/vm/cog/_latestVersion#files
>>> This version:
>>> [image: image.png]
>>> seems to work just fine with FFI (at leat, it runs the ODBC code without
>>> a hitch).  Even in the 64 bit version.
>>>
>>> I've sent this message for a few reasons:
>>> 1 - for my future self, to remember where the link is for the most
>>> current VM's (I can't find a link to it elsewhere outside of the email
>>> archives)
>>>

>> I've added the link to the vm section at: http://squeak.org/downloads/
>>

>>> 2 - for anyone else having FFI issues
>>> 3 - as a subtle request to eventually update the stable, blessed version
>>> of the VMs that are used in the bleeding edge Image archives, so that
>>> they
>>> work better with less hassle.
>>>

>> I'm afraid we still don't have a good release process in place.
>> However, I'm happy to update the vm used for the Squeak trunk bundles
>> with
>> a current bleeding edge vm if no one objects.
>>

> Sounds good to me.  Recent changes have been bug fixes or performance
> improvements anyway.
>

>> Best,
>> Fabio
>>

>>> Thanks,
>>> cbc
>>>

> --
> best, Eliot

Re: [Vm-dev] FFI and current images/VMs

Eliot Miranda-2
Hi Chris,

On Mon, Apr 24, 2017 at 3:40 PM, Chris Muller <[hidden email]> wrote:

After trying a fairly recent VM, I've actually had to go back to that Aug-17-2016 VM, because of the frequency of crashes in the new VM.  Have the very latest latest VM's fixed these crashes?  We might want to do some testing before making it the one the world sees..

My understanding is that the VM source as per VMMaker.oscog-eem.2187, 27 March 2017, 3 pm, git commit 4ceff23323bcd0f2d3d0a4a43c2995f43d09c98a, Mon Mar 27 16:07:32 2017 should be good.  This fixed what I hope is the remaining bug with the new compactor at snapshot.  I certainly don't experience crashes using it, and I hear from some members of the Pharo community that it works well.  That said, Levente reported a crash on update in the 64-bit VM as of VMMaker.oscog-eem.2197 , git commit date 201704181925.  I haven't been able to reproduce this yet, and I haven't seen any problems with update in my usage.