Failed: OpenSmalltalk/opensmalltalk-vm#1892 (win_generate_mouse_wheel_events - b982355)

Previous Topic Next Topic

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
3 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Failed: OpenSmalltalk/opensmalltalk-vm#1892 (win_generate_mouse_wheel_events - b982355)

Travis CI

OpenSmalltalk

/

opensmalltalk-vm

branch iconwin_generate_mouse_wheel_events

arrow to build time
clock icon17 mins and 10 secs

Nicolas Cellier avatarNicolas Cellier

Deliver mouse wheel events only once they reach a threshold

On some devices (example Mac trackpad), many events are generated with small deltas.
This is overwhelming the EventSensor loop at image side to the detriment of user experience.
Workaround by letting the VM accumulate those deltas until they reach a threshold before delivering.

In case of high delta values, we generate a single value.
It's up to image side to handle those values
(until now, Squeak 5.3 just ignored them, VM is not to be blamed for that).

Note: 2 values are hardcoded for now
- the timeout for stopping accumulation (500ms)
- the threshold for delivering the event to the image.

The threshold could have been WHEEL_DELTA, but it gives bad sensitivity on my own device, so use only a fraction of that in the hope that it fits other devices too.
Please report if those tuning are inappropriate. We may add parameters in the future if necessary...

Want to know about upcoming build environment updates?

Would you like to stay up-to-date with the upcoming Travis CI build environment updates? We set up a mailing list for you!

book icon

Documentation about Travis CI

<script type="application/ld+json"> { "@context": "http://schema.org", "@type": "EmailMessage", "action": { "@type": "ViewAction", "url": "https://travis-ci.org/OpenSmalltalk/opensmalltalk-vm/builds/629774919?utm_medium=notification&amp;utm_source=email", "name": "View Build" }, "description": "View Build #1892 on Travis CI" } </script>
Reply | Threaded
|

Re: Failed: OpenSmalltalk/opensmalltalk-vm#1892 (win_generate_mouse_wheel_events - b982355)

Nicolas Cellier

Argh,
When I change a win32 file, Travis build fail (?)
When I change a linux file, it's Appveyor that fails (!)

Those failures are very instructive...
They tell us that our infrastructure sucks ;)

Le jeu. 26 déc. 2019 à 22:01, Travis CI <[hidden email]> a écrit :

OpenSmalltalk

/

opensmalltalk-vm

arrow to build time

On some devices (example Mac trackpad), many events are generated with small deltas.
This is overwhelming the EventSensor loop at image side to the detriment of user experience.
Workaround by letting the VM accumulate those deltas until they reach a threshold before delivering.

The threshold could have been WHEEL_DELTA, but it gives bad sensitivity on my own device, so use only a fraction of that in the hope that it fits other devices too.
Please report if those tuning are inappropriate. We may add parameters in the future if necessary...

Would you like to stay up-to-date with the upcoming Travis CI build environment updates? We set up a mailing list for you!

book icon

Reply | Threaded
|

Re: Failed: OpenSmalltalk/opensmalltalk-vm#1892 (win_generate_mouse_wheel_events - b982355)

fniephaus

On Thu, Dec 26, 2019 at 10:04 PM Nicolas Cellier <[hidden email]> wrote:

Argh,
When I change a win32 file, Travis build fail (?)
When I change a linux file, it's Appveyor that fails (!)

Those failures are very instructive...
They tell us that our infrastructure sucks ;)

Yes, that's annoying. Nonetheless, a "you broke something" is still better than nothing, and we had nothing for a very long time. ;) Let us know if you have any suggestions for improving our infrastructure!

Maybe we should start with disabling unused builds, such as the Squeak+minheadless builds or maybe even some of the Pharo builds...I'm not aware of anyone using all these binaries.

Fabio

Le jeu. 26 déc. 2019 à 22:01, Travis CI <[hidden email]> a écrit :

OpenSmalltalk

/

opensmalltalk-vm

arrow to build time

book icon