Failing to install IRCe

Andy Burnett
I thought I would try using the IRC channel, so I used the package browser to install the package. Unfortunately, I get a walk back window in which the system is complaining about "unable to find function address" and gives error code 13.

I am running OSX 10.5.4
Firefox 3.0.3
Squeak 3.8.18beta3U
Image: squeak3.10.2-7179-basic.image.

The failed external call seems to be: "which firefox"

Does anyone have any thoughts on how to fix this?

Cheers
AB

Re: Failing to install IRCe

Edgar J. De Cleene

On 01/10/2008, at 14:48, Andy Burnett wrote:

> I thought I would try using the IRC channel, so I used the package
> browser to install the package. Unfortunately, I get a walk back
> window in which the system is complaining about "unable to find
> function address" and gives error code 13.
>
> I am running OSX 10.5.4
> Firefox 3.0.3
> Squeak 3.8.18beta3U
> Image: squeak3.10.2-7179-basic.image.
>
> The failed external call seems to be: "which firefox"
>
> Does anyone have any thoughts on how to fix this?
>
> Cheers
> AB

Same recipe , for n time now...

Go to http://www.squeaksource.com/Ladrillos.html and download FFI-
Kernel-ar.7.mcz
Then go to SqueakMap and download and install IRCe

Edgar

Re: Failing to install IRCe

Andy Burnett

>> I thought I would try using the IRC channel, so I used the package
>> browser to install the package. Unfortunately, I get a walk back
>> window in which the system is complaining about "unable to find
>> function address" and gives error code 13.
>>
>> I am running OSX 10.5.4
>> Firefox 3.0.3
>> Squeak 3.8.18beta3U
>> Image: squeak3.10.2-7179-basic.image.
>>
>> The failed external call seems to be: "which firefox"
>>
>> Does anyone have any thoughts on how to fix this?
>>
>> Cheers
>> AB

<<Same recipe , for n time now...

Go to http://www.squeaksource.com/Ladrillos.html and download FFI-
Kernel-ar.7.mcz
Then go to SqueakMap and download and install IRCe

Edgar>>

Thanks Edgar
Unfortunately, I am still getting exactly the same error message. Does one have to 'reboot' the squeak image after installing the FFI-Kernel?

Also, out of curiosity, why isn't this FFI package included in the standard image? I am sure there is a good reason, I just wondered what it is.

Cheers
AB

Re: Re: Failing to install IRCe

Frank Caggiano

I couldn't get Squeakmap to load IRCe, no errors just no action, but
when I downloaded the mcz file (Network-IRC-fc.10.7.6.mcz) and used
filelist to load it it came up fine.  I was able to get onto the IRC
channel with no problem.

  What is the 'package browser' you used to try and load IRCe? When do
you get the walkback, during loading or when u go to use it? IRCe
should run fine without the FFI package it only needs that for live
links.

regards

On 02/10/2008, at 18:01, Andy Burnett wrote:

Thanks Edgar
Unfortunately, I am still getting exactly the same error message. Does one have to 'reboot' the squeak image after installing the FFI-Kernel?

Also, out of curiosity, why isn't this FFI package included in the standard image? I am sure there is a good reason, I just wondered what it is.

Cheers
AB

You don't need reboot.
Send the SqueakDebug.log which you system gives in the moment of callback direct to me and I try to figure why not work.

The image go towards more modular (and smaller) .
Squeak 4.0 is the final point and some of us work in intermediate solutions (Kernel, MinimalMorphic, MinimalCore, my SqueakLightII)
FFI was removed before 3dot10 and put on packages to load.
3dot10 was the first release with some packages removed and which could load.
Our idea of  use PackageUniverses is not perfect yet as we don't have a "Zar of packages" which rules how things should be.
So , democracy originates some confusion and misunderstanding :=)
I confident we work out this until we have a small kernel and any could choose which packages load and all works smooth.

Edgar

Re: Failing to install IRCe

Andy Burnett
<< Frank said...

I couldn't get Squeakmap to load IRCe, no errors just no action, but
when I downloaded the mcz file (Network-IRC-fc.10.7.6.mcz) and used
filelist to load it it came up fine.  I was able to get onto the IRC
channel with no problem.

 What is the 'package browser' you used to try and load IRCe? When do
you get the walkback, during loading or when u go to use it? IRCe
should run fine without the FFI package it only needs that for live
links.

Thanks Frank, I tried loading the Network-IRC  - as you suggested - but, unfortunately, I received exactly the same error message.  I have sent the debug file to Edgar to see if he can work out what is happening.

Cheers
AB