Failure while opening in another OS

Fabio Oliveira
Hi list!

I have a little project in Squeak and I usually play in my home using
Linux OS. Today I tried to open this project in my machine at work.
The machine is a Windows XP Professional, 2002 version with SP 2. The
workspace open and everything appears to be fine, but when I click in
the class browser in any method, it show the message: "Error: Improper
store into indexable object", and stop to respond the mouse events.

Someone knows what am I doing wrong?

Thanks in advance!

--
Fábio Braga de Oliveira
ArchitecTeam Consulting

Re: Failure while opening in another OS

Bert Freudenberg
On Jul 10, 2007, at 14:26 , Fabio Oliveira wrote:

> Hi list!
>
> I have a little project in Squeak and I usually play in my home using
> Linux OS. Today I tried to open this project in my machine at work.
> The machine is a Windows XP Professional, 2002 version with SP 2. The
> workspace open and everything appears to be fine, but when I click in
> the class browser in any method, it show the message: "Error: Improper
> store into indexable object", and stop to respond the mouse events.
>
> Someone knows what am I doing wrong?

We could tell more if you attached the SqueakDebug.log file written
when an error occurs.

- Bert -

Re: Failure while opening in another OS

Fabio Oliveira
I´m sending now the log attached.

thanks!

SqueakDebug.log (2K) Download Attachment

Re: Failure while opening in another OS

Bert Freudenberg
Did you use the same image version at home to create the project
file? This one appears to be Squeak3.9.

Also, what does your project contain? Project files are part of the
Etoys environment which might not work too well with the Smalltalk
development tools (they should, but this might have not been tested
during 3.9 development).

Anyway, you certainly have discovered some sort of bug. The log
suggest this has something to do with the sources or changes file -
does that ring a bell with you?

- Bert -

On Jul 10, 2007, at 15:22 , Fabio Oliveira wrote:

> I´m sending now the log attached.
>
> thanks!
>
> On 7/10/07, Bert Freudenberg <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> On Jul 10, 2007, at 14:26 , Fabio Oliveira wrote:
>>
>> > Hi list!
>> >
>> > I have a little project in Squeak and I usually play in my home
>> using
>> > Linux OS. Today I tried to open this project in my machine at work.
>> > The machine is a Windows XP Professional, 2002 version with SP
>> 2. The
>> > workspace open and everything appears to be fine, but when I
>> click in
>> > the class browser in any method, it show the message: "Error:
>> Improper
>> > store into indexable object", and stop to respond the mouse events.
>> >
>> > Someone knows what am I doing wrong?
>>
>> We could tell more if you attached the SqueakDebug.log file written
>> when an error occurs.
>>
>> - Bert -

Re: Failure while opening in another OS

cedreek

> Anyway, you certainly have discovered some sort of bug. The log
> suggest this has something to do with the sources or changes file -
> does that ring a bell with you?

this reminds me (a little) the "bug" I had because of my anti-virus
(NOD32) which was scanning the changes files each time it was
accesses... Not sure this is it but as in linux you probably don't
have any antivirus ;)

my 2 cents...

Cédrick

Re: Failure while opening in another OS

Fabio Oliveira
Hi Bert!

The answers are bellow.

> Did you use the same image version at home to create the project
> file? This one appears to be Squeak3.9.

Yes, it is the same image, I only did a copy of the image file and
chageset from the Linux box to the Windows, without changes.

> Also, what does your project contain? Project files are part of the
> Etoys environment which might not work too well with the Smalltalk
> development tools (they should, but this might have not been tested
> during 3.9 development).

It´s the last squeak-dev image created by Damien Cassou, with my
project classes.

> Anyway, you certainly have discovered some sort of bug. The log
> suggest this has something to do with the sources or changes file -
> does that ring a bell with you?

Errr... no! how I said, I only did a copy, without changing anything.
I tried to run with different VMs in the Windows machine, but with the
same result. I don´t know if matters, but the Windows machine and the
Linux run with different display resolutions, and I maybe this is the
reason why the mouse stop to work. What you think? Ok, it´s a newbie
guess, anyway...

If it is a bug, how can we report it?

Thanks again!

On Jul 10, 2007, at 18:06 , Fabio Oliveira wrote:

> Hi Bert!
>
> The answers are bellow.
>
>> Did you use the same image version at home to create the project
>> file? This one appears to be Squeak3.9.
>
> Yes, it is the same image, I only did a copy of the image file and
> chageset from the Linux box to the Windows, without changes.

That might be your problem - you always need to coy the image and
changes file together.

>> Also, what does your project contain? Project files are part of the
>> Etoys environment which might not work too well with the Smalltalk
>> development tools (they should, but this might have not been tested
>> during 3.9 development).
>
> It´s the last squeak-dev image created by Damien Cassou, with my
> project classes.
>
>> Anyway, you certainly have discovered some sort of bug. The log
>> suggest this has something to do with the sources or changes file -
>> does that ring a bell with you?
>>

> Errr... no! how I said, I only did a copy, without changing anything.
> I tried to run with different VMs in the Windows machine, but with the
> same result. I don´t know if matters, but the Windows machine and the
> Linux run with different display resolutions, and I maybe this is the
> reason why the mouse stop to work. What you think? Ok, it´s a newbie
> guess, anyway...
>
> If it is a bug, how can we report it?

The bug in this case would be that there should be a better error
message explaining what happened. Or maybe it's  a bug in OB. Anyway,
bugs are reported here:

        http://bugs.squeak.org/

- Bert -

Re: Failure while opening in another OS

Fabio Oliveira
Hi Cédrick!

In my Windows box there is a Trend Micro OfficeScan running, installed
by the organization, and I can´t disable it to test.I will try in
another machine, or to acquire permission to disable it.

Thanks for the tip!

On 7/10/07, cdrick <[hidden email]> wrote:

> > Anyway, you certainly have discovered some sort of bug. The log
> > suggest this has something to do with the sources or changes file -
> > does that ring a bell with you?
>
> this reminds me (a little) the "bug" I had because of my anti-virus
> (NOD32) which was scanning the changes files each time it was
> accesses... Not sure this is it but as in linux you probably don't
> have any antivirus ;)
>
> my 2 cents...
>
> Cédrick

Fábio Braga de Oliveira
ArchitecTeam Consulting
http://www.architecteam.net/people/fabio/blog/
E-mail: [hidden email]
Mobile: +55 11 9769-6990

Re: Failure while opening in another OS

Fabio Oliveira
Bert!

Sorry, I read again and what I wrote didn´t make sense, my fault. What
I did was to copy both image and changeset from the Linux machine,
without changing anything in any of them (name, code, etc...), and I
tried to run in the Windows machine using a Windows VM.

I apologise for my bad english.

Can anyone open a bug report?

On 7/10/07, Bert Freudenberg <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On Jul 10, 2007, at 18:06 , Fabio Oliveira wrote:
>
> > Hi Bert!
> >
> > The answers are bellow.
> >
> >> Did you use the same image version at home to create the project
> >> file? This one appears to be Squeak3.9.
> >
> > Yes, it is the same image, I only did a copy of the image file and
> > chageset from the Linux box to the Windows, without changes.
>
> That might be your problem - you always need to coy the image and
> changes file together.
>
> >> Also, what does your project contain? Project files are part of the
> >> Etoys environment which might not work too well with the Smalltalk
> >> development tools (they should, but this might have not been tested
> >> during 3.9 development).
> >
> > It´s the last squeak-dev image created by Damien Cassou, with my
> > project classes.
> >
> >> Anyway, you certainly have discovered some sort of bug. The log
> >> suggest this has something to do with the sources or changes file -
> >> does that ring a bell with you?
> >>

> > Errr... no! how I said, I only did a copy, without changing anything.
> > I tried to run with different VMs in the Windows machine, but with the
> > same result. I don´t know if matters, but the Windows machine and the
> > Linux run with different display resolutions, and I maybe this is the
> > reason why the mouse stop to work. What you think? Ok, it´s a newbie
> > guess, anyway...
> >
> > If it is a bug, how can we report it?
>
> The bug in this case would be that there should be a better error
> message explaining what happened. Or maybe it's  a bug in OB. Anyway,
> bugs are reported here:
>
>         http://bugs.squeak.org/
>
> - Bert -

Fábio Braga de Oliveira
ArchitecTeam Consulting
http://www.architecteam.net/people/fabio/blog/
E-mail: [hidden email]
Mobile: +55 11 9769-6990

Re: Failure while opening in another OS

Bert Freudenberg
And with "changeset" you mean actually the xyz.changes file named
like your xyz.image? "Changesets" are something different.

Anyway, if you transferred image and changes together (in binary mode
- zipping both into one archive before transferring is recommended)
then this should work independent of the platforms.

- Bert -

On Jul 10, 2007, at 18:23 , Fabio Oliveira wrote:

> Bert!
>
> Sorry, I read again and what I wrote didn´t make sense, my fault. What
> I did was to copy both image and changeset from the Linux machine,
> without changing anything in any of them (name, code, etc...), and I
> tried to run in the Windows machine using a Windows VM.
>
> I apologise for my bad english.
>
> Can anyone open a bug report?
>
> On 7/10/07, Bert Freudenberg <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> On Jul 10, 2007, at 18:06 , Fabio Oliveira wrote:
>>
>> > Hi Bert!
>> >
>> > The answers are bellow.

>> > Yes, it is the same image, I only did a copy of the image file and
>> > chageset from the Linux box to the Windows, without changes.
>>
>> That might be your problem - you always need to coy the image and
>> changes file together.

>> the
>> tested
>> >
>> > It´s the last squeak-dev image created by Damien Cassou, with my
>> > project classes.

>> file -
>> >>

>> > Errr... no! how I said, I only did a copy, without changing
>> anything.
>> > I tried to run with different VMs in the Windows machine, but
>> with the
>> > same result. I don´t know if matters, but the Windows machine
>> and the
>> > Linux run with different display resolutions, and I maybe this
>> is the
>> > reason why the mouse stop to work. What you think? Ok, it´s a
>> newbie
>> > guess, anyway...
>> >
>> > If it is a bug, how can we report it?
>>
>> The bug in this case would be that there should be a better error
>> message explaining what happened. Or maybe it's  a bug in OB. Anyway,
>> bugs are reported here:
>>
>>         http://bugs.squeak.org/
>>
>> - Bert -

Re: Failure while opening in another OS

Fabio Oliveira
Hi Bert!

On 7/10/07, Bert Freudenberg <[hidden email]> wrote:
> And with "changeset" you mean actually the xyz.changes file named
> like your xyz.image? "Changesets" are something different.

Ops! Again a newbie fault, you are absolutely right, I did a copy of
the image and CHANGES files, sorry.

> Anyway, if you transferred image and changes together (in binary mode
> - zipping both into one archive before transferring is recommended)
> then this should work independent of the platforms.

Yes! This was my procedure.

I opened the issue http://bugs.squeak.org/view.php?id=6559, if I can
do something to make me more clear or to help in something to correct
the bug, let me know.

Thanks a lot for your patience and for your help.