False merge conflicts

Christoph Thiede

Hi all,

this is not the first time I am receiving a merge conflict resolution window while updating my image even though there is not a real merge conflict:

Did anyone else of you experience similar issues in the past? Is there something wrong with the detection of merge conflicts?

Best,

Christoph

Carpe Squeak!

Re: False merge conflicts

Christoph Thiede
Nevermind, this one was a false alert, though it took me way too much to
realize this. In my image, I already had recategorized this method, but in
the Trunk, it is still uncategorized. Thus the merge conflict. :-)

Best,
Christoph

-----
Carpe Squeak!

Carpe Squeak!

Re: False merge conflicts

Nicolas Cellier
Hi Christoph,
yes we consider meta information like categories as editions and thus
conflicts, and IMO it's a good thing because categories bring a bit of
added value that we don't want to lose.
A pity that I didn't see that those methods were miss-categorized,
maybe it's not visually obvious when using message tracer...

Le sam. 1 mai 2021 à 14:00, Christoph Thiede
<[hidden email]> a écrit :

> Nevermind, this one was a false alert, though it took me way too much to
> realize this. In my image, I already had recategorized this method, but in
> the Trunk, it is still uncategorized. Thus the merge conflict. :-)
>
> Best,
> Christoph
>

> -----
> Carpe Squeak!
> --
> Sent from: http://forum.world.st/Squeak-Dev-f45488.html

Re: False merge conflicts

Christoph Thiede

Hi Nicolas,

yes, it's only confusing because we don't have meta information for the author of a recategorization. Even though I see that this would likely be overengineering. :-)

A pity that I didn't see that those methods were miss-categorized, maybe it's not visually obvious when using message tracer...

Hmm, would it be a good idea to highlight the unclassified category in browsers using bold/italic font?

I've also been thinking for some time about displaying a small kind of dashboard in the SaveVersionDialog which could things such as: "slips" (halts/flags/Transcript) in code, uncategorized methods, and maybe even more things such as linter results (SwaLint) or test results. But this might be a performance problem and I guess that not everyone would like it ...

<[hidden email]> a écrit :

> Nevermind, this one was a false alert, though it took me way too much to
> realize this. In my image, I already had recategorized this method, but in
> the Trunk, it is still uncategorized. Thus the merge conflict. :-)
>
> Best,
> Christoph
>

> -----
> Carpe Squeak!
> --
> Sent from: http://forum.world.st/Squeak-Dev-f45488.html

Carpe Squeak!

Re: False merge conflicts

Jakob Reschke
Am Sa., 1. Mai 2021 um 18:05 Uhr schrieb Thiede, Christoph
<[hidden email]>:

> Hmm, would it be a good idea to highlight the unclassified category in browsers using bold/italic font?

Put an exclamation sign on it, like the green and red bubbles for test
methods. Or one of the flag icons (from flag:, halt, break) to signal
unfinished work.

> I've also been thinking for some time about displaying a small kind of dashboard in the SaveVersionDialog which could things such as: "slips" (halts/flags/Transcript) in code, uncategorized methods, and maybe even more things such as linter results (SwaLint) or test results. But this might be a performance problem and I guess that not everyone would like it ...

Would this be possible as an extension package that everyone can load
if they want it?