File Question

1 message Options

File Question

Kirk Fraser
I have XY data I want displayed in a graphic window which I can print to compare with the drawing I manually entered it from before using it.  I think I can handle the Pen class but I haven't any idea how to read the data in from a file.

The FileStream class comment is obsolete in Cuis:
To use the file system for most applications, you typically create a FileStream. This is done by sending a message to a FileDirectory (file:, oldFile:, newFile:, rename:newName:) which creates an instance of me. Accesses to the file are then done via my instance.

FileDirectory file: 'c:/drill.txt' generates walkback as does oldFile:.
The closest thing I found to something that works is FileStream readOnlyFileNamed: 'c:/drill.txt'.  That inspected produces a StandardFileStream with nothing in its collection.  A similar command in Croquet seems to show it looking at some subdirectory that I didn't specify which doesn't have the file.  How does one correctly do basic file reading and writing?  Thanks.