File association for MacOSX broken

Mathieu SUEN

Hi,

Under MacOSX when you try to rebind the default start up squeak vm of
a .image it don't work.

With the Finder you select a .image file and hit the cmd+i key after
you to change the default app and set it for all file.
When you start agin your image it always the previous VM. You can't
change it.

Ideas?
thx

        Mth

Re: File association for MacOSX broken

johnmci

Well which VM is used is a function of what the finder thinks should
be used.

If you have a mixture of Mac Carbon VMs, and Mac Unix VMs, this might
be an interesting excerise for os-x to sort out which one it should use.

Plus of course your launch services database could be corrupt.

See
http://www.macosxhints.com/article.php?story=20031215144430486

On Apr 30, 2007, at 1:52 PM, Mathieu Suen wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Under MacOSX when you try to rebind the default start up squeak vm
> of a .image it don't work.
>
> With the Finder you select a .image file and hit the cmd+i key
> after you to change the default app and set it for all file.
> When you start agin your image it always the previous VM. You can't
> change it.
>
> Ideas?
> thx
>
> Mth

===
John M. McIntosh <[hidden email]>
===

Re: File association for MacOSX broken

Mathieu SUEN

I only have Mac Carbon VMs and it happen the same things for an other
Mac

        Mth

On Apr 30, 2007, at 10:59 PM, John M McIntosh wrote:

> If you have a mixture of Mac Carbon VMs, and Mac Unix VMs, this
> might be an interesting excerise for os-x to sort out which one it
> should use.

Re: File association for MacOSX broken

johnmci

ok, well if you do a get info, and change the

Open with:  to say point to
Squeakk 3.8.17beta4U.app
and hit the change All...
button
does that help?

Also you might need to duplicate that latest Squeak VM in the Finder
in order for launch services to pay attention, and of course consider
the link I sent about rebuilding your launch services database.

On Apr 30, 2007, at 2:36 PM, Mathieu Suen wrote:

> I only have Mac Carbon VMs and it happen the same things for an
> other Mac
>
> Mth
>

> On Apr 30, 2007, at 10:59 PM, John M McIntosh wrote:
>
>> If you have a mixture of Mac Carbon VMs, and Mac Unix VMs, this
>> might be an interesting excerise for os-x to sort out which one it
>> should use.

===
John M. McIntosh <[hidden email]>
===

Re: File association for MacOSX broken

Mathieu SUEN

It's exactly what I do and it don't work.
Could it be the way that Squeak app is build?

I have consider your link but as soon as I lunch the other VM I
couldn't set back Squeak VM default app.

        Mth

On Apr 30, 2007, at 3:22 PM, Mathieu Suen wrote:

> It's exactly what I do and it don't work.
> Could it be the way that Squeak app is build?

No idea, you would have to find documentation on how launch services
makes it decisions in order to say there is a problem
with how the info.plist is constructed.

===
John M. McIntosh <[hidden email]>
===