FileSystem in Squeak

Lord ZealoN
Hi again, i have a question, and if don't exists is a good feature.

Would be interesting that you (i) can embbebed (i don't know if is
correct) files into the squeak image.

Is possible now? is in wish list?

Re: FileSystem in Squeak

garduino
Almost anything may be "embedded" in the image, even in a method.

By example:

x := Form fromFileNamed: 'mypic.jpg'

and you have the object x as a .jpg inside the image that you can
manipulate as you want.

Cheers.
gsa.

2006/3/23, Lord ZealoN <[hidden email]>:
> Hi again, i have a question, and if don't exists is a good feature.
>
> Would be interesting that you (i) can embbebed (i don't know if is
> correct) files into the squeak image.
>
> Is possible now? is in wish list?

Re: FileSystem in Squeak

Lord ZealoN
But, then you need the file in the harddrive not in the image.

--

Pero necesitas el archivo físicamente igualmente, no queda dentro de la imágen.

2006/3/23, Germán Arduino <[hidden email]>:

> Almost anything may be "embedded" in the image, even in a method.
>
> By example:
>
> x := Form fromFileNamed: 'mypic.jpg'
>
> and you have the object x as a .jpg inside the image that you can
> manipulate as you want.
>
> Cheers.
> gsa.
>

> 2006/3/23, Lord ZealoN <[hidden email]>:
> > Hi again, i have a question, and if don't exists is a good feature.
> >
> > Would be interesting that you (i) can embbebed (i don't know if is
> > correct) files into the squeak image.
> >
> > Is possible now? is in wish list?

RE: FileSystem in Squeak

Ramon Leon
No, that's how you get it into the image from the hard drive in the first place.  Once inside the image, it's an object, you can store it anywhere you like, in any way you like, just like any other object.  Inside the image, there's no such thing as a file, it's all just objects.

Then, not is a "link" to the file. The image will be an object inside
the image forever

2006/3/23, Ramon Leon <[hidden email]>:

> No, that's how you get it into the image from the hard drive in the first place.  Once inside the image, it's an object, you can store it anywhere you like, in any way you like, just like any other object.  Inside the image, there's no such thing as a file, it's all just objects.

Not sure I'm following you're English, but yes, it's not linking the file, it's importing it into the image as an object.

Well, my english is very bad. But i think i understand you.

I want say thath the file don't need it more because is inside the
image as an object, true?.

An example thath i want to say is better than 1000 words.
I have in a directory the file, squeak3.8.image and the file
myphoto.jpg (or clasic.mp3, BeautyAndTheBest.avi, SomethingUseful.pdf
or xml, css etc..etc..etc...).

If i do " x := Form fromFileNamed: 'myphoto.jpg' " (or something file)
then myphoto.jpg are inside the image and i don't need the file. I
can't give the image file only because myphoto.jpg is inside the
image.

Omg, i need an english tour.

2006/3/23, Ramon Leon <[hidden email]>:

> Not sure I'm following you're English, but yes, it's not linking the file, it's importing it into the image as an object.

Correct, once in the image, you don't need the file, you can distribute just the image.

I STRONGLY recommend you spend some time with the image, almost all
may be understood searching examples in the image.

Remember to use inspectors, senders, implementors, references, Method
Finder, etc.

Cheers.
gsa.

2006/3/23, Lord ZealoN <[hidden email]>:

> Well, my english is very bad. But i think i understand you.
>
> I want say thath the file don't need it more because is inside the
> image as an object, true?.
>
> An example thath i want to say is better than 1000 words.
> I have in a directory the file, squeak3.8.image and the file
> myphoto.jpg (or clasic.mp3, BeautyAndTheBest.avi, SomethingUseful.pdf
> or xml, css etc..etc..etc...).
>
> If i do " x := Form fromFileNamed: 'myphoto.jpg' " (or something file)
> then myphoto.jpg are inside the image and i don't need the file. I
> can't give the image file only because myphoto.jpg is inside the
> image.
>
> Omg, i need an english tour.

Re: FileSystem in Squeak

johnmci
I'll note until recently the mpeg plugin would only play mp3 files
from the file system. This was changed recently,
unlikely there is a windows version yet, so that you can give a
buffer of data to the plugin for playback.  Thus you
read the *.mp3 into the image, later you give that buffer to the
plugin for playback.

However with Sophie the primary method of playback will be Quicktime,
will fallback if possible to the Mpeg plugin.

On 23-Mar-06, at 2:14 PM, Lord ZealoN wrote:

> (or clasic.mp3,

===
John M. McIntosh <[hidden email]> 1-800-477-2659
===

Re: FileSystem in Squeak

Darius Clarke
Maybe AVI's FTPlet challenge might be of some help:

http://www.cincomsmalltalk.com/userblogs/avi/blogView?showComments=true