FileTree and Cypress status

12

Re: FileTree and Cypress status

stephane ducasse-2
Colin
Thanks I'm so uneducated and idiot. (The funny thing is that I gave javascript lecture back in 99 or 2000 before the hype in fact.
We had fun building test framework that when they break show part of the page. Anyway…. may be I should have went to
be a guru of javascript instead of crawling in our little microscopic world).
Sorry, I do not have the time right now to argue endlessly.

We got a lot of questions and thread before and the main point of dale was that it was for security reason (which does not hold
because the interpretation of data is the guy that controls what you do with data not the data itself)
then the problem was that gemstone cannot parse (because the parser is in the vm) ok.
Now if dale wants to use Json perfect. I will do a parser anyway so that there will be no real excuse.

My point is:
        - JSON is unfamiliar or confusing
        - literals array are less confusing and are perfectly capable of representing the data
        - I'm worried that if this data ends up in a method literal, the standard Smalltalk tools won't be able to peer inside it
        - I will write a literalArrayParser in Smalltalk for Smalltalk :) easy no?

Now I know some smalltalkers that also do not see the points. So may be we are a group of old narrow sighted people.

Stef

On Apr 10, 2012, at 10:57 PM, Colin Putney wrote:

> On Tue, Apr 10, 2012 at 1:13 PM, stephane ducasse
> <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Ok, since you wrote "I do not even understand why we are discussing
> that." I'll make the argument in favour of JSON:
>
> - JSON is a simple, well-defined syntax (see http://json.org/)
>
> - There are many, many parser implementations already out there,
> including basically all Smalltalk dialects.
>
> - We're specifically talking about syntax for storing data in a file,
> not inside the image. Smalltalk tools like "senders" aren't going to
> be able to work with this data anyway, and in fact, we don't want to
> pollute the image with symbols that aren't actually Smalltalk code.
>
> - JSON is really, really common out in the wider world. Part of the
> appeal of putting Smalltalk code on Github is so that it's visible on
> the web, instead of locked away in our images and non-standard
> versioning systems. If we're trying to put our code out there for
> people to see, we should use a syntax that they can already
> understand. S-expressions will only be familiar to Lispers.
>
> The point I'm making here is that Dale and the other folks at STIC
> didn't just pick JSON to avoid writing a parser. You may be correct
> that writing an s-expression parser is easy and perhaps easier than
> using dialect-native JSON parsers. But even if that's true, there's a
> good argument for using JSON anyway. Now, if you want to argue that
> s-expressions are a better fit for the problem, ok, let's hear that
> argument.
>
> Colin

Re: FileTree and Cypress status

Dale Henrichs
Stef,

I was thinking about the literal array structure last night and realized that it is not true that:

  "literals array are ... perfectly capable of representing the data"

The JSON format is serialized javascript and includes the following:

  Objects (fieldName fieldValue pairs)
  Arrays
  Strings
  Booleans
  Numbers
  UndefinedObject

The JSON parser we are using turns the Objects into Dictionaries and uses the native Smalltalk classes for everything else.

You cannot use literal arrays to represent both dictionaries AND literal arrays in the same structure. In the following example, is the #( 'classPaths' 'definedClasses') an actual literal array or a dictionary with a single ('classPaths' -> 'definedClasses') association?

#(
  #('name' 'CypressLayout' )
  #('instvars' #( 'classPaths' 'definedClasses'))
)

In the FileTree/Cypress project we do need to differentiate between key/value pairs and literal arrays...

Consequently you need to create a literal _Dictionary syntax_ for Smalltalk ... if you create a parser for such a beast ...  that runs on multiple Smalltalk dialects including VW, VAST, GemStone, Amber, etc. then you will have duplicated the functionality that we now have with the 27 method JSON parser and it will be possible to consider including your parser and rewriting all of the places where we are currently generating JSON, the next time we refresh the format which will likely be in a month or so.

If you are serious about writing a "literal dictionary parser" I suggest that you use the JSON syntax as your starting point for your Smalltalk specification[1].

[1] http://www.json.org/

On Apr 11, 2012, at 8:26 PM, Dale Henrichs wrote:

> Stef,
>
> I was thinking about the literal array structure last night and realized that it is not true that:
>
>  "literals array are ... perfectly capable of representing the data"
>
> The JSON format is serialized javascript and includes the following:
>
>  Objects (fieldName fieldValue pairs)
>  Arrays
>  Strings
>  Booleans
>  Numbers
>  UndefinedObject
>
> The JSON parser we are using turns the Objects into Dictionaries and uses the native Smalltalk classes for everything else.
>
> You cannot use literal arrays to represent both dictionaries AND literal arrays in the same structure. In the following example, is the #( 'classPaths' 'definedClasses') an actual literal array or a dictionary with a single ('classPaths' -> 'definedClasses') association?

do you model dictionary?
I have problem to understand what you want to do in fact.

http://scg.unibe.ch/wiki/projects/fame/mse
We model complete systems in Moose with such format since years. We used CDIF, then XML, then ( ).

 (<b>"Sample MSE file"</b>
   (LIB.Library
       (librarian
           (LIB.Person
               (name 'Adrian Kuhn')))
       (books
           (LIB.Book
               (title 'Design Patterns')
               (authors (ref: 1) (ref: 2) (ref: 3) (ref: 4)))
           (LIB.Book
               (title 'Eclipse: Principles, Patterns, and Plug-Ins')
               (authors (ref: 1) (ref: 5)))
           (LIB.Book
               (title 'Smalltalk Best Practice Patterns')
               (authors (ref: 5)))))
   (LIB.Person (id: 1)
       (name 'Erich Gamma'))
   (LIB.Person (id: 2)
       (name 'Richard Helm'))
   (LIB.Person(id: 3)
       (name 'Ralph Johnson'))
   (LIB.Person(id: 4)
       (name 'John Vlissides'))
   (LIB.Person(id: 5)
       (name 'Kent Beck')))

> #(
>  #('name' 'CypressLayout' )
>  #('instvars' #( 'classPaths' 'definedClasses'))
> )
>
> In the FileTree/Cypress project we do need to differentiate between key/value pairs and literal arrays...
>
> Consequently you need to create a literal _Dictionary syntax_ for Smalltalk ... if you create a parser for such a beast ...  that runs on multiple Smalltalk dialects including VW, VAST, GemStone, Amber, etc. then you will have duplicated the functionality that we now have with the 27 method JSON parser and it will be possible to consider including your parser and rewriting all of the places where we are currently generating JSON, the next time we refresh the format which will likely be in a month or so.
>
> If you are serious about writing a "literal dictionary parser" I suggest that you use the JSON syntax as your starting point for your Smalltalk specification[1].

Use JSON.
But I do not understand what you are doing.

Stef

> [1] http://www.json.org/

Hannes Hirzel
I agree with Stef that

 "literals array are ... perfectly capable of representing the data"

They may be viewed  as s-expressions

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/S-expression
In computing, s-expressions,  (for "symbolic expression") are a
notation for nested list (tree-structured) data, invented for and
popularized by the programming language Lisp which uses them for
source code as well as data.

Stef's example illustrates this.
BTW what does MSE stand for?

You might use a lot of parenthesis though.
The http://scg.unibe.ch/wiki/projects/fame/mse is indeed very readable.

JSON might do it with less.

One format may be transformed into the other with some effort.

JSON might be appealing for people coming from other languages whereas
Smalltalkers might be just fine with literal arrays.

There are limits for literal arrays in methods and this might be an issue.

It might be good to work out an actual example fully in both formats
and look at them side by side.

--Hannes

On Apr 11, 2012, at 10:36 PM, H. Hirzel wrote:

> I agree with Stef that
>
> "literals array are ... perfectly capable of representing the data"
>
> They may be viewed  as s-expressions
>
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/S-expression
> In computing, s-expressions,  (for "symbolic expression") are a
> notation for nested list (tree-structured) data, invented for and
> popularized by the programming language Lisp which uses them for
> source code as well as data.
>
> Stef's example illustrates this.
> BTW what does MSE stand for?

Moose with oo :)
lack of imagination and anger against XML :)

(
  ('name' 'CypressLayout' )
  ('instvars' ( 'classPaths' 'definedClasses'))
  ('classvars' ( 'Current' 'Default' 'Singleton' ))
  ('???' ( 'size' 12 ))
)

What will the parser return for the value of 'instvars', 'classvars', or '???'. Array or Dictionarie?

> [...]
| >> multiple Smalltalk dialects including VW, VAST, GemStone, Amber,
| >> etc. then
| >> you will have duplicated the functionality that we now have with
| >> the 27
| >> method JSON parser and it will be possible to consider including
| >> your
| >> parser and rewriting all of the places where we are currently
| >> generating
| >> JSON, the next time we refresh the format which will likely be in
| >> a month
| >> or so.
| >>
| >> If you are serious about writing a "literal dictionary parser" I
| >> suggest
| >> that you use the JSON syntax as your starting point for your
| >> Smalltalk
| >> specification[1].
| >

| > Use JSON.
| > But I do not understand what you are doing.

| >> |
| >> |
| >> |
| >> |
| >> |
| >> |
| >> |

| >> |
| >> |

Re: FileTree and Cypress status

Hannes Hirzel
Array,

what does ??? stand for?

--Hannes

On 4/12/12, Dale Henrichs <[hidden email]> wrote:

> (
>   ('name' 'CypressLayout' )
>   ('instvars' ( 'classPaths' 'definedClasses'))
>   ('classvars' ( 'Current' 'Default' 'Singleton' ))
>   ('???' ( 'size' 12 ))
> )
>
> What will the parser return for the value of 'instvars', 'classvars', or
> '???'. Array or Dictionarie?

| |

Re: FileTree and Cypress status

Dale Henrichs
Array?

Did you read my post?

I explicitly asked for the ability to represent a Dictionary of key value pairs.

Dale

| On 4/12/12, Dale Henrichs <[hidden email]> wrote:
| >
| > (
| >   ('name' 'CypressLayout' )
| >   ('instvars' ( 'classPaths' 'definedClasses'))
| >   ('classvars' ( 'Current' 'Default' 'Singleton' ))
| >   ('???' ( 'size' 12 ))
| > )
| >
| > What will the parser return for the value of 'instvars',
| > 'classvars', or
| > '???'. Array or Dictionarie?

| > |
| > | I agree with Stef that
| > |
| > |  "literals array are ... perfectly capable of representing the
| > |  data"
| > |
| > | They may be viewed  as s-expressions
| > |
| > | http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/S-expression
| > | In computing, s-expressions,  (for "symbolic expression") are a
| > | notation for nested list (tree-structured) data, invented for and
| > | popularized by the programming language Lisp which uses them for
| > | source code as well as data.
| > |
| > | Stef's example illustrates this.
| > | BTW what does MSE stand for?
| > |
| > | You might use a lot of parenthesis though.
| > | The http://scg.unibe.ch/wiki/projects/fame/mse is indeed very
| > | readable.
| > |
| > | JSON might do it with less.
| > |
| > | One format may be transformed into the other with some effort.
| > |
| > | JSON might be appealing for people coming from other languages
| > | whereas
| > | Smalltalkers might be just fine with literal arrays.
| > |
| > | There are limits for literal arrays in methods and this might be
| > | an
| > | issue.
| > |
| > | It might be good to work out an actual example fully in both
| > | formats
| > | and look at them side by side.
| > |
| > | --Hannes
| > |

| > | >> |
| > | >> |
| > | >> |
| > | >> |

| > | >> |
| > | >> |

| > |

Re: FileTree and Cypress status

Colin Putney-3
On Wed, Apr 11, 2012 at 11:26 AM, Dale Henrichs <[hidden email]> wrote:

> I was thinking about the literal array structure last night and realized that it is not true that:
>
>  "literals array are ... perfectly capable of representing the data"
>
> The JSON format is serialized javascript and includes the following:
>
>  Objects (fieldName fieldValue pairs)
>  Arrays
>  Strings
>  Booleans
>  Numbers
>  UndefinedObject
>
> The JSON parser we are using turns the Objects into Dictionaries and uses the native Smalltalk classes for everything else.

Here's the thing:

Whether the surface syntax is s-expressions or JSON, the parser is
just giving you back a simple data structure. The next step is to
interpret the data, and turn it into an object in the domain model -
an MCClassDefinition maybe, or a Store Package or whatever. The code
that does that interpretation can take a dictionary as input, or an
array with keys and values alternating in sequence, or an array of
two-item arrays or whatever the convention happens to be. Either way,
the interpreter has to understand the semantics implicit in the
generic data structure, and it doesn't matter much what convention is
used.

To me, the really weird thing about this debate is that Smalltalkers
are hardly ever going to see that syntax anyway. As a comparison, Avi
and I chose s-expressions for representing the ancestry information in
a mcz file. But that decision had nothing to do with readability, or
familiarity, so similarity to Smalltalk syntax or anything like that.
It was just about the simplicity of parsing and interpreting  it. When
was the last time you cracked open an mcz file and looked at that data
in raw form? I've done it, but not in recent years. Most Monticello
users have never done it.

One of the things that's interesting about this project is that it
eliminates one of the weird things that makes Smalltalk feel icky to
mainstream programmers - the code isn't stored in text files. The only
time people will actually read this stuff is when they browse the code
on Github. That's why I favour JSON syntax. For the rest of the world,
JSON is the automatic, obvious choice. Smalltalk syntax is gonna be
weird for those people, let's not compound it by hitting them with
Lisp syntax at the same time.

As far as which syntax is more convenient for us, Smalltalk
programmers who might use it - who cares? We'll never have to look at
it anyway - our tools will do that for us.

Colin

Re: FileTree and Cypress status

Dale Henrichs
+1

> [...]
| users have never done it.
|
| One of the things that's interesting about this project is that it
| eliminates one of the weird things that makes Smalltalk feel icky to
| mainstream programmers - the code isn't stored in text files. The
| only
| time people will actually read this stuff is when they browse the
| code
| on Github. That's why I favour JSON syntax. For the rest of the
| world,
| JSON is the automatic, obvious choice. Smalltalk syntax is gonna be
| weird for those people, let's not compound it by hitting them with
| Lisp syntax at the same time.
|
| As far as which syntax is more convenient for us, Smalltalk
| programmers who might use it - who cares? We'll never have to look at
| it anyway - our tools will do that for us.

EstebanLM
Hi,

I disagree with your argument, Colin.
JSON is the "de facto" choice for mainstream programmers *this year*.
A couple of years ago it was XML.
And a couple of years next it will be the next hype thing in the pipeline.

Are we going to follow all those fashion stuff just because mainstream programmers use them? I have a better idea: let's all do Java... mainstream programmers will love that!

Avoiding sarcasm: Java or .NET programmers adopt such things because of lacks of their languages. We don't have them, so we can thing on things that fits better to our environment.

best,
Esteban

On Apr 12, 2012, at 2:52 AM, Dale Henrichs wrote:

> +1

Yes, I did.

A dictionary is a unordered sequence of key-value pairs.
When you use a literal array you have to represent it with an ordered
sequence of key-value pairs. An array which contains a sequence of two
element arrays. It is doable.

As Colin Putney writes in his mail
"Whether the surface syntax is s-expressions or JSON, the parser is
just giving you back a simple data structure.  .......

Either way,
the interpreter has to understand the semantics implicit in the
generic data structure, and it doesn't matter much what convention is
used."

So literal arrays and JSON are fine. Your argument that literal arrays
(or s-expressions) cannot do the job is flawed. As I wrote you might
need more parenthesis. And that does not look nice unless you use a
good pretty printing and semantic conventions. But it is still doable.

So if you say that JSON looks nicer or is more acceptable by a larger
community I fully agree with you that going for JSON is a good thing.
In fact I am used to JSON for two years by now and so it is easy to
read for me.

And as Colin writes

"One of the things that's interesting about this project is that it
eliminates one of the weird things that makes Smalltalk feel icky to
mainstream programmers - the code isn't stored in text files. The only
time people will actually read this stuff is when they browse the code
on Github. That's why I favour JSON syntax."

Literal array syntax comes with a lot of hash signs which look somehow
'ugly'. And as you write you cannot easily distinguish between
hash/dictionary  (type Object) and list/array.

The power of Smalltalk lies in the fact that you can do a lot with
Dictionaries and OrderedCollections. JSON allows to represent this
directly.

So I agree with you and Colin that JSON is 'nicer'. And as with XML
there are quite a number of tools which deal with JSON.

On 4/12/12, Esteban Lorenzano <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I disagree with your argument, Colin.
> JSON is the "de facto" choice for mainstream programmers *this year*.
I would say you can add 2010, 2011 and probably at least the next five
years to come.
For this time frame JSON is fine.

> A couple of years ago it was XML.
Interesting observation.  This was the case for about 12 years. Before
it was SGML.
Interesting that people do not like XML anymore. XSLT though having a
nice computational model is not easy to grasp for many. On the
contrary (X)HTML is a success story.

> And a couple of years next it will be the next hype thing in the pipeline.

But until them JSON will be fine.

> Are we going to follow all those fashion stuff just because mainstream
> programmers use them?

No, but here we are talking about a data format for dictionaries and arrays.

I have a better idea: let's all do Java... mainstream
> programmers will love that!

That would be going too far.   ..... :-) Or maybe not, many of us
actually do this.

It is just a small step towards JavaScript.....   :-)

> Avoiding sarcasm: Java or .NET programmers adopt such things because of
> lacks of their languages. We don't have them, so we can thing on things that
> fits better to our environment.

Yes, but in terms of readability JSON is superior in the eyes of many.

> best,
> Esteban

Best wishes as well
Hannes

> On Apr 12, 2012, at 2:52 AM, Dale Henrichs wrote:
>
>> +1

Sorry, I'm still not buying it.

Frankly, I don't care about JSON or any other format.

I will say what I don't like:

1) The whole concept about we needing a DSL to represent things other than the language itself. I think this most likely it will become a pain and not a solution.
I just have my more than 10 years of Java experience to argue why: do you remember xdoclets, hibernate mappings, spring injector? I do... people even invented languages to being able to avoid such pain in the ass (like groovy)... so, we have a beautiful language capable of deal by itself with all this complexity, and we are going to jump into the DSL fever just because "others will read it better". Sorry, not a good argument for me.

2) What about some information that now is not present on cypress format? (method author and timeStamp, for instance). Are we going to create "yet another metadata file" for each method? then we will have more JSON (or whatever) files spread around...

3) Security? how we will prevent malicious code inside loaded code? The same way as we do now: we don't. I also don't buy all those arguments about security being around in mainstream (but I know I'm too radical in this one, he... as I always say: every time someone mentions the word "security", I run to see if my rights are being affected :P)

unique thing you said in this thread I see as a valid argument is being able to define compatible code between dialects.

Anyway, I'm not arguing anymore, as I do not have the time to prove my points with code and I don't like just jelling (and that's what I'm doing now, he)

best,
Esteban

On Apr 12, 2012, at 11:13 AM, H. Hirzel wrote:

> On 4/12/12, Esteban Lorenzano <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> I disagree with your argument, Colin.
>> JSON is the "de facto" choice for mainstream programmers *this year*.
> I would say you can add 2010, 2011 and probably at least the next five
> years to come.
> For this time frame JSON is fine.
>
>> A couple of years ago it was XML.
> Interesting observation.  This was the case for about 12 years. Before
> it was SGML.
> Interesting that people do not like XML anymore. XSLT though having a
> nice computational model is not easy to grasp for many. On the
> contrary (X)HTML is a success story.
>
>> And a couple of years next it will be the next hype thing in the pipeline.
>
> But until them JSON will be fine.
>
>> Are we going to follow all those fashion stuff just because mainstream
>> programmers use them?
>
> No, but here we are talking about a data format for dictionaries and arrays.
>

> I have a better idea: let's all do Java... mainstream
>> programmers will love that!
>
> That would be going too far.   ..... :-) Or maybe not, many of us
> actually do this.
>
> It is just a small step towards JavaScript.....   :-)
>

>> Avoiding sarcasm: Java or .NET programmers adopt such things because of
>> lacks of their languages. We don't have them, so we can thing on things that
>> fits better to our environment.
>
> Yes, but in terms of readability JSON is superior in the eyes of many.
>
>> best,
>> Esteban
>>

> Best wishes as well
> Hannes
>

>> On Apr 12, 2012, at 2:52 AM, Dale Henrichs wrote:
>>
>>> +1

Frank Shearar-3
On 12 April 2012 10:49, Esteban Lorenzano <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Sorry, I'm still not buying it.
>
> Frankly, I don't care about JSON or any other format.
>
> I will say what I don't like:
>
> 1) The whole concept about we needing a DSL to represent things other than the language itself. I think this most likely it will become a pain and not a solution.
> I just have my more than 10 years of Java experience to argue why: do you remember xdoclets, hibernate mappings, spring injector? I do... people even invented languages to being able to avoid such pain in the ass (like groovy)... so, we have a beautiful language capable of deal by itself with all this complexity, and we are going to jump into the DSL fever just because "others will read it better". Sorry, not a good argument for me.

The whole point of using a DSL is to _prevent_arbitrary_computation_.
In fact, your package specification should not be able to compute
_at_all_. It should be 100% declarative.

You cannot suck in a gemfile or a Metacello spec and KNOW that doing
so won't toast your image, destroy your file system, and sour your
milk. You MIGHT be able to THINK you're OK by inspecting  the source,
but in Metacello's case you can only do safely inspect the source by
uncracking the MCZ, because the very act of loading the configuration
- not running it, just loading it - can run arbitrary Smalltalk
expressions.

Using Smalltalk syntax will make your life miserable as you ponder
some expression in a spec and ask yourself "so am I looking at
Smalltalk, or something that just looks exactly like Smalltalk?"

> 2) What about some information that now is not present on cypress format? (method author and timeStamp, for instance). Are we going to create "yet another metadata file" for each method? then we will have more JSON (or whatever) files spread around...
>
> 3) Security? how we will prevent malicious code inside loaded code? The same way as we do now: we don't. I also don't buy all those arguments about security being around in mainstream (but I know I'm too radical in this one, he... as I always say: every time someone mentions the word "security", I run to see if my rights are being affected :P)
>
> unique thing you said in this thread I see as a valid argument is being able to define compatible code between dialects.

There are well known things we can do to prevent malicious code:
Newspeak, E, all manner of things. It's a much bigger problem than
just Metacello of course, so I don't think we should spend all our
time trying to address the issue _here_.

frank

> Anyway, I'm not arguing anymore, as I do not have the time to prove my points with code and I don't like just jelling (and that's what I'm doing now, he)
>
> best,
> Esteban
>
> On Apr 12, 2012, at 11:13 AM, H. Hirzel wrote:
>
>> On 4/12/12, Esteban Lorenzano <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>> Hi,
>>>
>>> I disagree with your argument, Colin.
>>> JSON is the "de facto" choice for mainstream programmers *this year*.
>> I would say you can add 2010, 2011 and probably at least the next five
>> years to come.
>> For this time frame JSON is fine.
>>
>>> A couple of years ago it was XML.
>> Interesting observation.  This was the case for about 12 years. Before
>> it was SGML.
>> Interesting that people do not like XML anymore. XSLT though having a
>> nice computational model is not easy to grasp for many. On the
>> contrary (X)HTML is a success story.
>>
>>> And a couple of years next it will be the next hype thing in the pipeline.
>>
>> But until them JSON will be fine.
>>
>>> Are we going to follow all those fashion stuff just because mainstream
>>> programmers use them?
>>
>> No, but here we are talking about a data format for dictionaries and arrays.
>>

>> I have a better idea: let's all do Java... mainstream
>>> programmers will love that!
>>
>> That would be going too far.   ..... :-) Or maybe not, many of us
>> actually do this.
>>
>> It is just a small step towards JavaScript.....   :-)
>>

>>> Avoiding sarcasm: Java or .NET programmers adopt such things because of
>>> lacks of their languages. We don't have them, so we can thing on things that
>>> fits better to our environment.
>>
>> Yes, but in terms of readability JSON is superior in the eyes of many.
>>
>>> best,
>>> Esteban
>>>

>> Best wishes as well
>> Hannes

You are right, we should go for examples

As a start here is the one given by Dale

LITERAL ARRAY NOTATION

#(

{
 "name" : "CypressLayout",
 "instvars" : ["classPaths",  "definedClasses"],
  "classvars" : ["Current" "Default" "Singleton"]
}

BTW it is nice to copy the JSON code and visualize it in
http://json.bloople.net/

We need however more complex examples which might show where problems are.

--Hannes

On 4/12/12, H. Hirzel <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On 4/12/12, Esteban Lorenzano <[hidden email]> wrote:
> ......> Anyway, I'm not arguing anymore, as I do not have the time to prove
> my
>> points with code and I don't like just jelling (and that's what I'm doing
>> now, he)
>>
>> best,
>> Esteban
>
> You are right, we should go for examples
>
> As a start here is the one given by Dale
>

> LITERAL ARRAY NOTATION
>
> #(
>  #('name' 'CypressLayout' )
>  #('instvars' #( 'classPaths' 'definedClasses'))
>  #('classvars' ( 'Current' 'Default' 'Singleton' ))
> )
>

> JSON
>
> {
>  "name" : "CypressLayout",
>  "instvars" : ["classPaths",  "definedClasses"],
>   "classvars" : ["Current" "Default" "Singleton"]
> }
>

> BTW it is nice to copy the JSON code and visualize it in
> http://json.bloople.net/

And XML done with http://json.online-toolz.com/tools/xml-json-convertor.php
<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
<json>
  <name>CypressLayout</name>
  <instvars>classPaths</instvars>
  <instvars>definedClasses</instvars>
  <classvars>Current</classvars>
  <classvars>Default</classvars>
  <classvars>Singleton</classvars>
</json>

I had to eliminate spaces in JSON and there are actually different
ways to do the conversion.
See http://wiki.open311.org/index.php?title=JSON_and_XML_Conversion

> We need however more complex examples which might show where problems are.
>
> --Hannes

Re: FileTree and Cypress status

Dale Henrichs
Guys, Guys, Guys... this is my last post on this topic ...

I have not read any of the overnight posts ...

I am not interested in talking about what format the property files should use.

I made the decision (weeks ago) and no amount of arguing on this list will change the current implementation and the only thing that will change a future implementation is CODE.

I have stated that whatever format you want to invent it should include a "literal dictionary format", because the existing code is expecting to work with Dictionaries.

I have also stated that any code produced be portable to all of the dialects participating in the project.

If you meet these two requirements, it is likely that the project maintainers will just fold it in ... if it takes too much work to use your format, then you'll have to do it yourself.

1) FileTree/Cypress is using JSON

2) the current implementation is functioning just fine

3) FileTree/Cypress is designed to be flexible in terms of format, at some future date, you will be free to fork the projects and introduce your own favorite format and you are free to make the changes that are necessary in the source code for all of the dialects or use your own custom package structure on just your own projects.

We are all programmers.

We all understand that the data can be represented in an infinite number of formats.

We all understand that it is just a small matter of writing code to implement readers and writers for this infinite number of formats.

We all understand that the data is much more important than the disk format ....

We should all understand that there is no right answer to the format question ... every conceivable format will work (with the appropriate amount of supporting software) ...

We all have an opinion and I understand that each of you has your own opinion about what the format should be and I understand that the folks who are continuing to argue over this are not happy with my decision...

That's just too bad.

If you are interested in being able to use git and github and are excited at the prospect of being able to not only share code across dialects, but to collaborate on cross dialect projects, then stop worrying about the format of the file and put your energy into writing code in support of this goal (see point 3 and read it 5 times in a row).

If you are arguing on these points, you are showing that you have passion ... I don't fault you for having strong opinions ... I just ask you to channel your energy into writing code on this issue or focussing on some of the harder problems that do exist...

I do not intend to read any responses to this mail as far as I am concerned I am moving on to some of the much more important issues that need attention ...

Dale
12