First impressions; questions

Florent THIERY-2
Hello,

So i played a bit with croquet today, i checked the waves effect too,
neat ! And was very happy to see the external app integration.

- how does this feature work in short? By doing some vnc-like "screen capture"?
- can one integrate an external opengl app?
- about graphics: can one change resolution / details / antialiasing etc?

Note: i'm a beryl user (linux 3D desktop, which uses opengl), and
croquet doesn't work within it. For instance, google earth works
within it. It's just a report, not a complain or bug report.

Thanks

Florent

Re: First impressions; questions

Howard Stearns

On Mar 31, 2007, at 2:33 PM, Florent THIERY wrote:

> ... And was very happy to see the external app integration.
>
> - how does this feature work in short? By doing some vnc-like
> "screen capture"?

yes.

See http://croquetconsortium.org/index.php/External/
Legacy_Applications_and_%28X%29RFB/VNC#XRFB

Re: First impressions; questions

Florent THIERY-2
Seriously, it may seem stupid, but i think it's one of the most
important features that all the "games" (fake metaverse attempts)
lack. Because the 3D world has to be able to communicate with the
regular userspace.

As for croquet's interfacing:
- are there bindings for other languages? (such as python)
- is it planned to add a web api integration? (
http://programmableweb.com/apis ). An usage example: these new music
suggestion features, you could walk in a 3D representation of them,
and while you come nearer to a certain artist, you hear his music; it
would be like walking in a marketplace...
- can croquet launch applications with command line arguments such as
an IP adress? This would allow direct launching of
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/NINJAM for example

Thanks

Florent

Re: First impressions; questions

Ric Moore
On Sat, 2007-03-31 at 21:33 +0200, Florent THIERY wrote:

> Hello,
>
> So i played a bit with croquet today, i checked the waves effect too,
> neat ! And was very happy to see the external app integration.
>
> - how does this feature work in short? By doing some vnc-like "screen capture"?
> - can one integrate an external opengl app?
> - about graphics: can one change resolution / details / antialiasing etc?
>
> Note: i'm a beryl user (linux 3D desktop, which uses opengl), and
> croquet doesn't work within it. For instance, google earth works
> within it. It's just a report, not a complain or bug report.

Beryl is a really nifty desktop app, but I've seen it go bananas enough
to eat of the cpu at times, so it has some memory leaks which croquet
probably can't tolerate. So, I went back to the plain ole plain ole for
more stability some time ago.

I've got two gigs of ram and while trying to use the multimedia app in
Croquet, it flatlined in some sort of loop that reported to my terminal
windows that it could not detect the end of memory. Anyone seen anything
like that? Before I submit a bug report, I'd just like to know it if I'm
overlooking anything here, as user. Ric

http://www.sourceforge.net/projects/oar
http://www.wayward4now.net

Re: First impressions; questions

Bert Freudenberg
On Apr 1, 2007, at 19:24 , Ric Moore wrote:

> I've got two gigs of ram and while trying to use the multimedia app in
> Croquet, it flatlined in some sort of loop that reported to my
> terminal
> windows that it could not detect the end of memory. Anyone seen
> anything
> like that?

This is a known problem with the Linux Squeak VM. Newer Linux kernels
move the Squeak object memory to a virtual address crossing the 2 GB
boundary. Since large parts of the VM treat oops as signed integers
this leads to comparison between positive and negative numbers which
is wrong. A rewrite of the interpreter generation to use pointers (or
at least unsigned values) for oops would be needed to solve this
problem.

A workaround that was reported to sometimes avoid this problem is
giving the -memory or -mmap options to the VM.

- Bert -