Flash file host?

David Faught
I have a 5 MB Flash file along with a small HTML page to drive it that
gives a brief introduction to CCPainter.  Would anyone like to
volunteer to host this?

It occurs to me that I could:
1. ask Mark McCahill if the server where his demo videos are has room
and work out how to get this content there (it could probably just be
emailed),
2. ask Howard Stearns if the Croquet wiki server has room for this and
upload it there (if the server allows that),
3. upload the content to some public video host somewhere (I haven't
really looked at these, I just know they are out there) and put a link
on the Croquet wiki, or
4. upload the content to some other place that hasn't occurred to me
yet, or maybe just isn't available yet.

What is my best option?  If the 2nd part of option 4, is there some timeframe?

The first time that I tried this, it ended up to be 130 MB.  I'm
assuming that 5 MB will be easier to deal with but that there will be
more content of various types and sizes looking for a home in the
future too.  What to do, what to do?

Re: Flash file host?

Mark P. McCahill

On Sep 13, 2006, at 12:31 PM, David Faught wrote:

> I have a 5 MB Flash file along with a small HTML page to drive it that
> gives a brief introduction to CCPainter.  Would anyone like to
> volunteer to host this?
>
> It occurs to me that I could:
> 1. ask Mark McCahill if the server where his demo videos are has room
> and work out how to get this content there (it could probably just be
> emailed),

there is plenty of room on the server, e-mail me to make
arrangements to get the content up there.

> 2. ask Howard Stearns if the Croquet wiki server has room for this and
> upload it there (if the server allows that),
> 3. upload the content to some public video host somewhere (I haven't
> really looked at these, I just know they are out there) and put a link
> on the Croquet wiki, or
> 4. upload the content to some other place that hasn't occurred to me
> yet, or maybe just isn't available yet.
>
> What is my best option?  If the 2nd part of option 4, is there some
> timeframe?
>
> The first time that I tried this, it ended up to be 130 MB.  I'm
> assuming that 5 MB will be easier to deal with but that there will be
> more content of various types and sizes looking for a home in the
> future too.  What to do, what to do?

Re: Flash file host?

Howard Stearns
slightly off topic: I'm quite fond of http://video.google.com/
See the links there to upload and share your videos for free.

I've done this with a political cause I'm involved with, and have
been pleased with the experience.
(http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=2123326581592545419)

Of course, I'd rather do this in Croquet... We can now import .mpeg
and .mp3 by dragging from your desktop into the space, and we store
these in the cache manager rather than the island. The order to play
(open the TWindow) is replicated, but the retrieval of the media from
cache or network is asynchronous.  Awesome work by Josh. We're
working on continuity and router hosting... http://
www.squeaksource.com/KidsFirst.html