Float variableWordSubclass

Ben Coman
When I define...
    Float subclass: MyPrefixFloat

why does it get changed to...
    Float variableWordSubclass: #MyPrefixFloat

and is that just what the Epsilon symbol next to the class is?

cheers, Ben

btw, the reason I am doing this is to simplify automating the import of
a UML model with a standard prefix for all classes including this
"primitive"

Re: Float variableWordSubclass

Levente Uzonyi-2
On Wed, 4 Jan 2012, Ben Coman wrote:

> When I define...
>   Float subclass: MyPrefixFloat

I guess you meat Float subclass: #MyPrefixFloat .

> why does it get changed to...
>   Float variableWordSubclass: #MyPrefixFloat

Float is already a variableWordSubclass, so its subclasses must also be
variableWordSubclasses, otherwise the indexable slots would be lost.

> and is that just what the Epsilon symbol next to the class is?

What Epsilon symbol?

> cheers, Ben
>
> btw, the reason I am doing this is to simplify automating the import of a UML
> model with a standard prefix for all classes including this "primitive"

Subclassing Float doesn't seem to be a good idea, I'm also not sure if it
will work (especially with Cog).

Levente

Levente Uzonyi wrote:

> On Wed, 4 Jan 2012, Ben Coman wrote:
>
>> When I define...
>>   Float subclass: MyPrefixFloat
>
> I guess you meat Float subclass: #MyPrefixFloat .
>

>> why does it get changed to...
>>   Float variableWordSubclass: #MyPrefixFloat
>
> Float is already a variableWordSubclass, so its subclasses must also
> be variableWordSubclasses, otherwise the indexable slots would be lost.
>

>> and is that just what the Epsilon symbol next to the class is?
>
> What Epsilon symbol?

Epsilon - the letter of the Greek alphabet used in maths.
But doh!  I should have said "summation" symbol
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Summation

On Thu, 5 Jan 2012, Ben Coman wrote:

> Levente Uzonyi wrote:
>> On Wed, 4 Jan 2012, Ben Coman wrote:
>>
>>> When I define...
>>>   Float subclass: MyPrefixFloat
>>
>> I guess you meat Float subclass: #MyPrefixFloat .
>>

>>> why does it get changed to...
>>>   Float variableWordSubclass: #MyPrefixFloat
>>
>> Float is already a variableWordSubclass, so its subclasses must also be
>> variableWordSubclasses, otherwise the indexable slots would be lost.
>>

>>> and is that just what the Epsilon symbol next to the class is?
>>
>> What Epsilon symbol?

There's no such thing in Squeak, so I don't know. Maybe you shoud ask it
from Pharo users.

Levente

> Epsilon - the letter of the Greek alphabet used in maths.
> But doh!  I should have said "summation" symbol
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Summation

Re: Float variableWordSubclass

Karl Ramberg

Levente Uzonyi wrote:
On Wed, 4 Jan 2012, Ben Coman wrote:

When I define...
 Float subclass: MyPrefixFloat

I guess you meat Float subclass: #MyPrefixFloat .

why does it get changed to...
 Float variableWordSubclass: #MyPrefixFloat

Float is already a variableWordSubclass, so its subclasses must also be variableWordSubclasses, otherwise the indexable slots would be lost.

and is that just what the Epsilon symbol next to the class is?

What Epsilon symbol?

There's no such thing in Squeak, so I don't know. Maybe you shoud ask it from Pharo users.

Levente

I've seen it in OmniBrowser with RefactoringEngine.
I'm not sure of it's purpose.

Karl

Epsilon - the letter of the Greek alphabet used in maths.
But doh!  I should have said "summation" symbol
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Summation

Re: Float variableWordSubclass

Tobias Pape

Am 2012-01-07 um 20:00 schrieb karl ramberg:

> On Sat, Jan 7, 2012 at 7:04 PM, Levente Uzonyi <[hidden email]> wrote:
> On Thu, 5 Jan 2012, Ben Coman wrote:
>
> Levente Uzonyi wrote:
> On Wed, 4 Jan 2012, Ben Coman wrote:
>
> When I define...
>  Float subclass: MyPrefixFloat
>
> I guess you meat Float subclass: #MyPrefixFloat .
>

> why does it get changed to...
>  Float variableWordSubclass: #MyPrefixFloat
>
> Float is already a variableWordSubclass, so its subclasses must also be variableWordSubclasses, otherwise the indexable slots would be lost.
>

> and is that just what the Epsilon symbol next to the class is?
>
> What Epsilon symbol?
>

> There's no such thing in Squeak, so I don't know. Maybe you shoud ask it from Pharo users.
>

> Levente
>
> I've seen it in OmniBrowser with RefactoringEngine.
> I'm not sure of it's purpose.

AFAIK,  it is an indicator that the class inherits from Magnitude.
It is present in omnibrowsers.

Best
Beginners mailing list