Fonts for Squeak

timrowledge
During some discussing stuff with Subbu it was pointed out that we have (had) a broken Comics Sans font in the image and that it wasn't licensed etc.

I noticed fonts.google.com and would like to ask if anyone is interested in doing some work to choose a few nice fonts and incorporate them for the next release. Perhaps better yet would be a tool to find/list/import them from that site etc.

tim
Meets quality standards: It compiles without errors.

Re: Fonts for Squeak

Tobias Pape

> On 05.06.2019, at 21:13, tim Rowledge <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> During some discussing stuff with Subbu it was pointed out that we have (had) a broken Comics Sans font in the image and that it wasn't licensed etc.
>
> I noticed fonts.google.com and would like to ask if anyone is interested in doing some work to choose a few nice fonts and incorporate them for the next release. Perhaps better yet would be a tool to find/list/import them from that site etc.

If it's precisely about comic sans replacement:
        Comic Jens https://www.kutilek.de/comic-jens/free
        Comic Neue http://comicneue.com/

Apart from that, the Fira Fonts (https://github.com/bBoxType/FiraSans or https://github.com/bBoxType/FiraGO/ ) are absolutely gorgeous.

The Adobe Source fonts (source sans/serif/code pro and source Han) are a _very_ good superfamily of fonts. They're only ones I know with a decent CJK support (and Googles Noto actually copied from those).

Personally, I think the fonts of  Jos Buivenga (https://www.exljbris.com/) are really good, but they're not really fit for a programming system (yet?); also license.

In the realm of Monospaced:
        Envy Code and inconsolata are fun, but license.
        IBM Plex and the Go Fonts are made for this stuff, so why not?
        Leah Neukirchen has some really great "Vintage", pixely mono fonts (http://leahneukirchen.org/fonts/)
                (in this category, I happen to have some "bitfonts" on my machine, ask away…)

Really good fun, if we had Ligatures and proper font support :P
        https://github.com/tonsky/FiraCode
        (he made some smalltalk-y ligatures on my request…)

But: we should actually be able to use these fonts before we include any…

Best regards
        -Tobias

Re: Fonts for Squeak

timrowledge

> On 2019-06-05, at 12:41 PM, Tobias Pape <[hidden email]> wrote:
>

>> On 05.06.2019, at 21:13, tim Rowledge <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> During some discussing stuff with Subbu it was pointed out that we have (had) a broken Comics Sans font in the image and that it wasn't licensed etc.
>>
>> I noticed fonts.google.com and would like to ask if anyone is interested in doing some work to choose a few nice fonts and incorporate them for the next release. Perhaps better yet would be a tool to find/list/import them from that site etc.
>
> If it's precisely about comic sans replacement:

Not solely, but I do rather like Comic Sans.

> Comic Jens https://www.kutilek.de/comic-jens/free
> Comic Neue http://comicneue.com/

...and these are nice replacements.

> Apart from that, the Fira Fonts (https://github.com/bBoxType/FiraSans or https://github.com/bBoxType/FiraGO/ ) are absolutely gorgeous.

Yup.

We *can* import the Fira ttf files and display them (a bit fuzzy etc), but attempting to edit is v   e    r           r      y       s   l   o w.

Time for some fixes! SqueakHackers Assemble!

tim
Useful Latin Phrases:- Raptus regaliter = Royally screwed