For Serious Software Developers Only was: Re: Multy-core CPUs

For Serious Software Developers Only was: Re: Multy-core CPUs

Laurence Rozier
On 10/18/07, Ralph Johnson <[hidden email]> wrote:
On 10/17/07, Steve Wart <[hidden email]> wrote:
> I don't know if mapping Smalltalk processes to native threads is the way to
> go, given the pain I've seen in the Java and C# space.

Shared-memory parallelism has always been difficult.  People claimed
it was the language, the environment, or they needed better training.
They always thought that with one more thing, they could "fix"
shared-memory parallelism and make it usable.  But Java has done a
good job with providiing reasonable language primitives.  There has
been a lot of work on making threads efficient, and plenty of people
have learned to write mutli-threaded Java.  But it is still way too
hard.

I think that shared-memory parallism, with explicit synchronization,
is a bad idea.  Transactional memory might be a solution, but it
eliminates explicit synchronization.  I think the most likely solution
is to avoid shared memory altogether, and go with message passing.
Erlang is a perfect example of this.  We could take this approach in
Smalltalk by making minimal images like Spoon, making images that are
designed to be used by other images (angain, like Spoon), and then
implementing our systms as hundreds or thousands of separate images.
Image startup would have to be very fast.  I think that this is more
likely to be useful than rewriting garbage collectors to support
parallelism.

-Ralph Johnson

+1 although the possibilities appear seriously constrained by having the cart(hw) before the horse(sw):

People who are really serious about software should make their own hardware.
Alan Kay @ Creative Think Seminar 1982

There may indeed be ingenious ways for a chemist to make ice cubes suitable for doing laundry, but having a supply of liquid water will generally be a more fruitful approach. The experiences of many decades seem to indicate that these issues just won't go away. What will it take to get the Squeak/Croquet/Smalltalk community to commit to an evolutionary path through things like Spoon and Plurion that lead to disruptive innovation?

Laurence

Re: For Serious Software Developers Only was: Re: Multy-core CPUs

Alan Grimes-2

first google hit: http://www.plurion.co.uk/ ???

--
Buy Ron Paul's Money! =)
http://www.libertydollar.org/ld/ronpauldollar
Soundest investment on the planet!

Re: For Serious Software Developers Only was: Re: Multy-core CPUs

dcorking
On 10/19/07, Alan Grimes  wrote:
> > What will it take to get the Squeak/Croquet/Smalltalk community to
> > commit to an evolutionary path through things like Spoon and Plurion
> > that lead to disruptive innovation?
>
> first google hit: http://www.plurion.co.uk/ ???

namespace collision :)

I think Laurence means

http://www.merlintec.com/merlin6/e_main.html
http://www.merlintec.com/download/plurion.pdf  (2005 - reputedly very
out of date)

http://lists.squeakfoundation.org/pipermail/hardware/2007-August/000014.html
http://lists.squeakfoundation.org/pipermail/hardware/2007-October/000020.html

see also

http://wiki.squeak.org/squeak/552

I learned today that there is a hardware list at squeakfoundation :)

Re: For Serious Software Developers Only was: Re: Multy-core CPUs

Jecel Assumpcao Jr
David Corking wrote:
> On 10/19/07, Alan Grimes  wrote:
> > > What will it take to get the Squeak/Croquet/Smalltalk community to
> > > commit to an evolutionary path through things like Spoon and Plurion
> > > that lead to disruptive innovation?
> >
> > first google hit: http://www.plurion.co.uk/ ???
>
> namespace collision :)

Back in 2001 when I registered Plurion as a trademark Google didn't
return any hits. I already knew how important multi-cores would be so it
seemed like a good name. Anybody interested in parallel Smalltalk should
take a look at the J-Machine and find out more about Concurrent
Aggregates:

http://cva.stanford.edu/projects/j-machine/

This has a picture of Smalltalk (with Lisp syntax, but this was at MIT
after all) running on 1024 processors. And as Jerry Pournelle likes to
say, "what man has achieved, man can aspire to".

> I think Laurence means
>
> http://www.merlintec.com/merlin6/e_main.html
> http://www.merlintec.com/download/plurion.pdf  (2005 - reputedly very
> out of date)

The overall architecture has not changed, but the individual cores are
now like this:

http://www.merlintec.com:8080/hardware/RISC42

-- Jecel

Re: For Serious Software Developers Only was: Re: Multy-core CPUs

Tapple Gao
On Fri, Oct 19, 2007 at 02:12:40PM +0100, David Corking wrote:

> On 10/19/07, Alan Grimes  wrote:
> > > What will it take to get the Squeak/Croquet/Smalltalk community to
> > > commit to an evolutionary path through things like Spoon and Plurion
> > > that lead to disruptive innovation?
> >
> > first google hit: http://www.plurion.co.uk/ ???
>
> namespace collision :)
>
> I think Laurence means
>
> http://www.merlintec.com/merlin6/e_main.html
> http://www.merlintec.com/download/plurion.pdf  (2005 - reputedly very
> out of date)
>
> http://lists.squeakfoundation.org/pipermail/hardware/2007-August/000014.html
> http://lists.squeakfoundation.org/pipermail/hardware/2007-October/000020.html
>
> see also
>
> http://wiki.squeak.org/squeak/552
>
> I learned today that there is a hardware list at squeakfoundation :)

Thanks for collecting the refs. The front page for the plurion
is the swiki page:
http://www.merlintec.com:8080/hardware/Plurion
It needs more google hits, so link to it! :)

Re: For Serious Software Developers Only was: Re: Multy-core CPUs

Alan Grimes-2
> Thanks for collecting the refs. The front page for the plurion
> is the swiki page:
> http://www.merlintec.com:8080/hardware/Plurion
> It needs more google hits, so link to it! :)

Okay,
Nice,
Fine.

Call me a cynical bastard but unless I can go down to the local
mega-mart and buy one for $1,000, or even $10,000, in a usable form, it
doesn't even exist, period.

It started when I started hearing hype around the Cell Broadband engine.
For years I heard about it. Always my question was WHEN CAN I GET ONE?
Can I use it for general purpose computing? Can I put it in one of the
vacant 64x66 PCI slots in my machine?

As of today, it is still vaporware to me because I can only get it in a
PSX3 which I am not in the market for at present, all other solutions
appear to be either too expensive or incompatible with my current system.

OpenSparc.net is another example of a fine if not perfect architecture
that you'll never (within the forseeable future) be able to get your
hands on.

Unless you are intent on fueling my feelings of alienation and
disempowerment from the computing industry in general, just don't even
mention this kind of thing. =\

--
Buy Ron Paul's Money! =)
http://www.libertydollar.org/ld/ronpauldollar
Soundest investment on the planet!

vaporware (was: For Serious Software Developers)

Jecel Assumpcao Jr
Alan Grimes  wrote:
> > Thanks for collecting the refs. The front page for the plurion
> > is the swiki page:
> > http://www.merlintec.com:8080/hardware/Plurion
> > It needs more google hits, so link to it! :)

It would be nice for me to actually put something useful there before it
starts getting hits....

> Okay,
> Nice,
> Fine.
>
> Call me a cynical bastard but unless I can go down to the local
> mega-mart and buy one for $1,000, or even $10,000, in a usable form, it
> doesn't even exist, period.

You are right - this is 100% vaporware for now. I haven't even written
the first line of the processor implementation, yet. But getting the
design right takes a while too, and that is what I have been doing since
1999. When it is ready, you will be able to download it for free over
the internet (you will need a FPGA board and you will be able to get all
files needed to build one free as well, your you can just buy one of the
many kits on the market).

> It started when I started hearing hype around the Cell Broadband engine.
> For years I heard about it. Always my question was WHEN CAN I GET ONE?
> Can I use it for general purpose computing? Can I put it in one of the
> vacant 64x66 PCI slots in my machine?

You can.

> As of today, it is still vaporware to me because I can only get it in a
> PSX3 which I am not in the market for at present, all other solutions
> appear to be either too expensive or incompatible with my current system.

Indeed, http://www.mc.com/microsites/cell/ might be too expensive for
you. But it is a reality.

> OpenSparc.net is another example of a fine if not perfect architecture
> that you'll never (within the forseeable future) be able to get your
> hands on.

Why not? I am playing around with Leon3, which is a Sparc that requires
far more modest resources but OpenSparc seems pretty real to me. Again,
it probably doesn't fit your budget (just the FPGA to run this thing is
more than $2K) but for other people it is ok as is..

> Unless you are intent on fueling my feelings of alienation and
> disempowerment from the computing industry in general, just don't even
> mention this kind of thing. =\

We created a separate squeak-hardware list so that people who are
interested in things that aren't ready yet can hear about them without
bothering you, but somethings the discussions here go in a direction
where it makes sense to mention such projects or it would give people
the wrong impression.

-- Jecel

Re: vaporware (was: For Serious Software Developers)

Yoshiki Ohshima-2
  Jecel,

> > Unless you are intent on fueling my feelings of alienation and
> > disempowerment from the computing industry in general, just don't even
> > mention this kind of thing. =\
>
> We created a separate squeak-hardware list so that people who are
> interested in things that aren't ready yet can hear about them without
> bothering you, but somethings the discussions here go in a direction
> where it makes sense to mention such projects or it would give people
> the wrong impression.

  Please keep mentioning these kind of things on this list.  You've
been doing interesting work, and FPGA will be more and more important.

-- Yoshiki

On 10/19/07, Alan Grimes <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Thanks for collecting the refs. The front page for the plurion
> is the swiki page:
> http://www.merlintec.com:8080/hardware/Plurion
> It needs more google hits, so link to it! :)

Okay,
Nice,
Fine.

Call me a cynical bastard but unless I can go down to the local
mega-mart and buy one for $1,000, or even $10,000, in a usable form, it
doesn't even exist, period.

It started when I started hearing hype around the Cell Broadband engine.
For years I heard about it. Always my question was WHEN CAN I GET ONE?
Can I use it for general purpose computing? Can I put it in one of the
vacant 64x66 PCI slots in my machine?

As of today, it is still vaporware to me because I can only get it in a
PSX3 which I am not in the market for at present, all other solutions
appear to be either too expensive or incompatible with my current system.

OpenSparc.net is another example of a fine if not perfect architecture
that you'll never (within the forseeable future) be able to get your
hands on.

This FPGA implementation seems to be a sign of progress and it seems like the setup used can be had for <$10K. I agree we want to buy off the shelf, but shift is happening and that's a good thing. Given that many in the Smalltalk world know that there just has to be better integration, coming up with a plan of evolution would be in our collective best interests right?

Unless you are intent on fueling my feelings of alienation and
disempowerment from the computing industry in general, just don't even
mention this kind of thing. =\

--
Buy Ron Paul's Money! =)
http://www.libertydollar.org/ld/ronpauldollar
Soundest investment on the planet!

Re: For Serious Software Developers Only was: Re: Multy-core CPUs

Klaus D. Witzel
On Fri, 19 Oct 2007 22:06:36 +0200, Alan Grimes wrote:

>> Thanks for collecting the refs. The front page for the plurion
>> is the swiki page:
>> http://www.merlintec.com:8080/hardware/Plurion
>> It needs more google hits, so link to it! :)
>
> Okay,
> Nice,
> Fine.
>
> Call me a cynical bastard but unless I can go down to the local
> mega-mart and buy one for $1,000, or even $10,000, in a usable form, it
> doesn't even exist, period.

Why do everything yourself, Alan. Convince your customer that *they* need
one

- http://www.google.com/search?q=16-way+single+image+dual+core+libra

and get payed for playing with it :)

/Klaus

> It started when I started hearing hype around the Cell Broadband engine.
> For years I heard about it. Always my question was WHEN CAN I GET ONE?
> Can I use it for general purpose computing? Can I put it in one of the
> vacant 64x66 PCI slots in my machine?
>
> As of today, it is still vaporware to me because I can only get it in a
> PSX3 which I am not in the market for at present, all other solutions
> appear to be either too expensive or incompatible with my current system.
>
> OpenSparc.net is another example of a fine if not perfect architecture
> that you'll never (within the forseeable future) be able to get your
> hands on.
>
> Unless you are intent on fueling my feelings of alienation and
> disempowerment from the computing industry in general, just don't even
> mention this kind of thing. =\

Re: vaporware

Jecel Assumpcao Jr
Yoshiki,

>   Please keep mentioning these kind of things on this list.  You've
> been doing interesting work, and FPGA will be more and more important.

Whenever I have interesting results I will comment about them here (and
will post a link to a video if possible). And like I said, sometimes the
discussion here goes in a direction where not mentioning unfinished work
would be misleading, such as when someone asks "why hasn't anybody
looked at using multi-processors for Smalltalk?' or something like that.
But for general discussions about unfinished stuff the new hardware list
is a better option.

I do understand Alan's frustration since I often feel it myself. What I
was trying to explain to him, however, is that he was mixing up two
different things: there is the frustration of not having money to buy
airplane tickets for this year's OOPSLA (though some people might still
see me there....), for example, which is very different from the
frustration of not being able to buy something because they refuse to
make any more (http://www.bazix.nl/onechipmsx.html) or haven't started
making them yet (http://www.xiltendo.com/).

-- Jecel

pwl

Re: For Serious Software Developers Only was: Re: Multy-core CPUs

pwl

> Call me a cynical bastard but unless I can go down to the local
> mega-mart and buy one for $1,000, or even $10,000, in a usable form, it
> doesn't even exist, period.

How about we just say that your point of view is very practical... So if
Tilera were to make it's 64 processor chip board for a PC available for
less than $1,000 you'd buy it? Or would it really have to be from the
local mega-mart too rather than direct?

When Tilera makes their Tile-64 processor available to anyone then
you'll be able to buy it and shove a Tilera Tile-64 board
(http://tilera.com/products/boards.php) into your PC to run with a 64
processor chip!!! In fact they claim to be able to put two 64 processor
chips on one expansion board.

Let's all contact Tilera (http://tilera.com) politely and ask them how
much a development system card is and when they will ship it. If you are
serious tell them you'd like to buy one today and have them ship it today!

     Tilera Corporation
     1900 West Park Drive
     Suite 290
     Westborough, Massachusetts 01581
     Phone: (508) 616-9300
     Fax: (508) 616-9306

They also have a contact form.
http://tilera.com/company/contact_form.php. If you are serious about
buying a board to develop parallel applications with ask them for a
sales contact.

It's getting real folks. Let's get Smalltalk ready to handle the new
large N-Core hardware wave that is upon us!!!

All the best,

Peter William Lount

Re: For Serious Software Developers Only was: Re: Multy-core CPUs

Igor Stasenko

Btw, just read here (http://www.linuxdevices.com/news/NS8981295285.html):
--
Availability

The Tile64 is available now, in three variants differentiated by I/O
mix and clock. Pricing starts at $435 in 10,000 quantities, the
company said. Tilera's iLib and MDE tools, and TilExpress-64 board are
also available at undisclosed pricing.

--
I think it will be less than $1000 for end user. Affordable price for 64 CPUs :)

> All the best,
>
> Peter William Lount

Best regards,
Igor Stasenko AKA sig.

pwl

Igor Stasenko wrote:
[...]

So far they haven't replied to my repeated queries to purchase a development board. They also seem to be only focused on a few specialized vertical markets. That is why I'm asking any of you interested in their technology to inquire as well. Thanks.

Peter

Re: For Serious Software Developers Only was: Re: Multy-core CPUs

Alan Grimes-2
> When Tilera makes their Tile-64 processor available to anyone then
> you'll be able to buy it and shove a Tilera Tile-64 board
> (http://tilera.com/products/boards.php) into your PC to run with a 64
> processor chip!!! In fact they claim to be able to put two 64 processor
> chips on one expansion board.

Okay, nice. Unfortunately, I will first need to upgrade my box, because
it only has PCI 2.2 slots. (albeit 66 mhz/ 64 bit). =\

> It's getting real folks. Let's get Smalltalk ready to handle the new
> large N-Core hardware wave that is upon us!!!

I've been using a SMP box since 2003. =P