For those who use Nabble ....

12

For those who use Nabble ....

Geert Claes
Administrator
I managed (with some assistance from Nabble support) to group several Smalltalk mailing lists on Nabble under the common category "Smalltalk" (http://n4.nabble.com/Smalltalk-f1294792.html).

To get them all to appear together the Pharo forums had to move Pharo to the a common n4 server or something, so the links to the Pharo-Smalltalk and Pharo-Smalltalk-Users forums need to be updated on the Pharo website (although the old links will still work for some time) to:
Pharo-Smalltalk: http://n4.nabble.com/Pharo-Smalltalk-f1294837.html
Pharo-Smalltalk-Users:  http://n4.nabble.com/Pharo-Smalltalk-Users-f1310670.html

Re: [Pharo-project] For those who use Nabble ....

Mariano Martinez Peck
Geert: Thanks!

Sorry for being a little OT. I don't know very much about Gmane, nabble, etc. I just configured it only once for the squeakdbx mailing list.

But in certain mailing list, I saw that at the end of a mail (thread) you have automatically put the link to Gmane/Nabble. And this is really cool. A lot for times, I want to put the link of a thread in the bug tracker and I have to go Nabble, search it there, etc....if I have it in the mail, is much simpler.

Do you know if we can do this for pharo mailing lists ?

Cheers

Mariano

Administrator
As far as I know Nabble adds this "View this message in context" bit automatically when posted from Nabble.

On Tue, Jan 26, 2010 at 11:12 PM, Geert Claes <[hidden email]> wrote:

As far as I know Nabble adds this "View this message in context" bit
automatically when posted from Nabble.

Ok....I have just saw if with your email...but is it possible also if I post from email instead from Nabble ?

Re: [Pharo-project] For those who use Nabble ....

Geert Claes
Administrator
Mariano Martinez Peck wrote
Ok....I have just saw if with your email...but is it possible also if I post from email instead from Nabble ?
Hi Mariano, if you post to the mailing list via email Nabble, will only grab it and add it to the archive so it won't add that bit I believe.

Re: For those who use Nabble ....

Stan Shepherd
That's really neat Geert. Nice to view Smalltalk as one community:
http://n4.nabble.com/Smalltalk-f1294792.topics.html
...Stan

Re: [Pharo-project] For those who use Nabble ....

laurent laffont

On Tue, Jan 26, 2010 at 11:33 PM, Stan Shepherd <[hidden email]> wrote:

That's really neat Geert. Nice to view Smalltalk as one community:
http://n4.nabble.com/Smalltalk-f1294792.topics.html
...Stan

Really cool ! Is it possible to add this link on the pharo website ?

Larent

Re: [Pharo-project] For those who use Nabble ....

Adrian Lienhard
Thanks, Geert!

I updated the web page.

I added the general Nabble Smalltalk link in the FAQ.

Cheers,
Adrian

On Jan 27, 2010, at 07:54 , laurent laffont wrote:

> On Tue, Jan 26, 2010 at 11:33 PM, Stan Shepherd
> <[hidden email]>wrote:
>

>> That's really neat Geert. Nice to view Smalltalk as one community:
>> http://n4.nabble.com/Smalltalk-f1294792.topics.html
>> ...Stan
>>

> Really cool ! Is it possible to add this link on the pharo website ?
>
> Larent

Re: [Pharo-project] For those who use Nabble ....

Adrian Lienhard
Geert, would it be possible to update the description of Pharo that currently reads "Pharo is a fork from the Squeak open-source Smalltalk."?

I suggest: "Pharo's goal is to deliver a clean, innovative, free open-source Smalltalk environment. By providing a stable and small core system, excellent developer tools, and maintained releases, Pharo is an attractive platform to build and deploy mission critical Smalltalk applications. Pharo is MIT licensed and fosters a healthy ecosystem of both private and commercial contributors."

Thanks,
Adrian

On Jan 27, 2010, at 08:44 , Adrian Lienhard wrote:

> Thanks, Geert!
>
> I updated the web page.
>
> I added the general Nabble Smalltalk link in the FAQ.
>
> Cheers,
> Adrian
>

> On Jan 27, 2010, at 07:54 , laurent laffont wrote:
>
>> On Tue, Jan 26, 2010 at 11:33 PM, Stan Shepherd
>> <[hidden email]>wrote:
>>

>>> That's really neat Geert. Nice to view Smalltalk as one community:
>>> http://n4.nabble.com/Smalltalk-f1294792.topics.html
>>> ...Stan
>>>

>> Really cool ! Is it possible to add this link on the pharo website ?
>>
>> Larent

Re: [Pharo-project] For those who use Nabble ....

Stéphane Ducasse
+1
We are more than a fork!

Stef

On Jan 27, 2010, at 8:49 AM, Adrian Lienhard wrote:

> Geert, would it be possible to update the description of Pharo that currently reads "Pharo is a fork from the Squeak open-source Smalltalk."?
>
> I suggest: "Pharo's goal is to deliver a clean, innovative, free open-source Smalltalk environment. By providing a stable and small core system, excellent developer tools, and maintained releases, Pharo is an attractive platform to build and deploy mission critical Smalltalk applications. Pharo is MIT licensed and fosters a healthy ecosystem of both private and commercial contributors."
>
> Thanks,
> Adrian
>

> On Jan 27, 2010, at 08:44 , Adrian Lienhard wrote:
>
>> Thanks, Geert!
>>
>> I updated the web page.
>>
>> I added the general Nabble Smalltalk link in the FAQ.
>>
>> Cheers,
>> Adrian
>>

>> On Jan 27, 2010, at 07:54 , laurent laffont wrote:

>>> Really cool ! Is it possible to add this link on the pharo website ?
>>>
>>> Larent

Re: [Pharo-project] For those who use Nabble ....

Geert Claes
Administrator
Adrian Lienhard wrote
Geert, would it be possible to update the description of Pharo that currently reads "Pharo is a fork from the Squeak open-source Smalltalk."?

I suggest: "Pharo's goal is to deliver a clean, innovative, free open-source Smalltalk environment. By providing a stable and small core system, excellent developer tools, and maintained releases, Pharo is an attractive platform to build and deploy mission critical Smalltalk applications. Pharo is MIT licensed and fosters a healthy ecosystem of both private and commercial contributors."
Sure, but how about a brief "one sentence" description rather than the complete mission statement?

Just added some logo's: http://n4.nabble.com/Smalltalk-f1294792.html

Re: [Pharo-project] For those who use Nabble ....

Geert Claes
Administrator
I thought you were going to be Pharo clean for one or two weeks? :)

Re: [Pharo-project] For those who use Nabble ....

Peter Hugosson-Miller

On Wed, Jan 27, 2010 at 10:02 AM, Stéphane Ducasse <[hidden email]> wrote:
+1
We are more than a fork!

Stef

Absolutely! At the very least, we are a Phork! :-p
Peter

On Jan 27, 2010, at 10:07 AM, Geert Claes wrote:

> I thought you were going to be Pharo clean for one or two weeks? :)

heu I'm not stef I'm his son ... my dad is working... I'm just browsing his mail
and heu :)

Re: [Pharo-project] For those who use Nabble ....

Janko Mivšek
Geert, indeed thanks a lot for this Smalltalk unification efford :) We
need it!

Best regards
Janko

--
Janko Mivšek
AIDA/Web

Re: [Pharo-project] For those who use Nabble ....

Adrian Lienhard
sure, here is one sentence:

"Pharo provides a clean and innovative MIT-licensed Smalltalk environment with a stable and small core system, excellent developer tools, and maintained releases."

Adrian

Administrator
Thats almost the same as what I came up with: "Pharo is an open-source Smalltalk implementation providing a stable and small core system with excellent developer tools to build and deploy mission critical applications."

Re: [Pharo-project] For those who use Nabble ....

Stan Shepherd
Geert, do you think it would be useful to post this on the other Smalltalk lists as well?

Another benefit it that you can now search for answers across the dialects, e.g.
http://n4.nabble.com/forum/Search.jtp?days=0&query=merge+fork&sort=date&forum=1294792
...Stan

Re: [Pharo-project] For those who use Nabble ....

Adrian Lienhard
I like yours as well!

Cheers,
Adrian

On Jan 27, 2010, at 15:20 , Geert Claes wrote:

> Thats almost the same as what I came up with: "Pharo is an open-source
> Smalltalk implementation providing a stable and small core system with
> excellent developer tools to build and deploy mission critical
> applications."

Re: [Pharo-project] For those who use Nabble ....

Randal L. Schwartz

Adrian> "Pharo provides a clean and innovative MIT-licensed Smalltalk
Adrian> environment with a stable and small core system, excellent developer
Adrian> tools, and maintained releases."

Which, at this point, would not distinguish it from what Squeak core
will be within another few weeks.

Do you have any verbage that would allow newcomers to choose Squeak
vs Pharo?

Or are the goals and purpose finally merging again?

See http://methodsandmessages.vox.com/ for Smalltalk and Seaside discussion

12