Fraction Cutter - Amazing what you can do with a few scripting tiles

Fraction Cutter - Amazing what you can do with a few scripting tiles

Steve Thomas
In working on my Fraction A Day project I built a "Fraction Cutter"

I was able to build this with just 11 scripting tiles in Etoys (could have got it down to 7, but went for readability).  The first page lets you make only 1 cut, the second lets you make multiple cuts. I had to put a playfield on top of the "unit" (aka rectangle, which is in a gridded playfield) so that I could allow you to "clear the cuts" by simply using the Playfields "remove all" tile from the collections category, without removing my unit and having to put it back each time.

Next I am thinking about using polygons as my "units" so I can visually show the cut by duplicating the polygon and modifying the vertices to points where they intersect the cut. Then I will "animate the cut" by moving the polygon's apart. This should scale to multiple cuts without code changes (using the Playfield's "tell all contents" tile from the scripting category). Well at least I think it should testing and the mandatory debugging that occurs anytime I write code will tell ;)

Here is a Etoys Minute showing it in action.

The other amazing thing is that this Etoys Minute is actually less than a minute ;)

Stephen

Re: Fraction Cutter - Amazing what you can do with a few scripting tiles

Bert Freudenberg
On 22.06.2011, at 08:26, Steve Thomas wrote:

In working on my Fraction A Day project I built a "Fraction Cutter"

I was able to build this with just 11 scripting tiles in Etoys (could have got it down to 7, but went for readability).  The first page lets you make only 1 cut, the second lets you make multiple cuts. I had to put a playfield on top of the "unit" (aka rectangle, which is in a gridded playfield) so that I could allow you to "clear the cuts" by simply using the Playfields "remove all" tile from the collections category, without removing my unit and having to put it back each time.

Nice!

Next I am thinking about using polygons as my "units" so I can visually show the cut by duplicating the polygon and modifying the vertices to points where they intersect the cut. Then I will "animate the cut" by moving the polygon's apart. This should scale to multiple cuts without code changes (using the Playfield's "tell all contents" tile from the scripting category). Well at least I think it should testing and the mandatory debugging that occurs anytime I write code will tell ;)

That would be awesome! Seems quite challenging to implement ;)

Btw, my kids love the "Slice it!" game based on that idea:

- Bert -

Re: Fraction Cutter - Amazing what you can do with a few scripting tiles

Ron Teitelbaum-2

That was really cool!  What a nice game that is.

Ron

[...]

          http://youtu.be/SS2SsM690wU

- Bert -

Re: Fraction Cutter - Amazing what you can do with a few scripting tiles

Karl Ramberg

On Wed, Jun 22, 2011 at 6:26 AM, Steve Thomas <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

Nice.
I think using DrGeo could make seprating the polygon easier.

Karl

[...]

I also thought of your project when I saw this video on Boingboing today:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a-e8fzqv3CE&feature=player_embedded

Karl

Re: Fraction Cutter - Amazing what you can do with a few scripting tiles

Steve Thomas
Some wonderful quotes from the video:
"We have been trained to care about notation way too much"
"Math is NOT marks on a page. The mathematics is in what those marks represent".

Stephen

On Thu, Jun 23, 2011 at 2:05 PM, karl ramberg <[hidden email]> wrote:

[...]

mokurai
On Wed, June 22, 2011 2:26 am, Steve Thomas wrote:

> In working on my Fraction A
> Day<http://mrstevesscience.blogspot.com/search/label/Fraction%20A%20Day>
> project
> I built a "Fraction
> Cutter<http://www.squeakland.org/showcase/project.jsp?id=11020>
> "
>
> I was able to build this with just 11 scripting tiles in Etoys (could have
> got it down to 7, but went for readability).  The first page lets you make
> only 1 cut, the second lets you make multiple cuts. I had to put a
> playfield
> on top of the "unit" (aka rectangle, which is in a gridded playfield) so
> that I could allow you to "clear the cuts" by simply using the Playfields
> "remove all" tile from the collections category, without removing my unit
> and having to put it back each time.
>
> Next I am thinking about using polygons as my "units" so I can visually
> show
> the cut by duplicating the polygon and modifying the vertices to points
> where they intersect the cut. Then I will "animate the cut" by moving the
> polygon's apart. This should scale to multiple cuts without code changes
> (using the Playfield's "tell all contents" tile from the scripting
> category). Well at least I think it should testing and the mandatory
> debugging that occurs anytime I write code will tell ;)

Nice. I assume that we can cut pies, and move the pieces slightly apart.
Also that it would be easy to color pie slices for teaching arithmetic.
What is N÷2/3? Cut N pies in thirds and color pairs of slices, then count
the pairs. If there is one slice left over, discuss.

> Here is a Etoys Minute showing it in action.
>
> The other amazing thing is that this Etoys Minute is actually less than a
> minute ;)
>
> Stephen

Edward Mokurai
(&#40664;&#38647;/&#2343;&#2352;&#2381;&#2350;&#2350;&#2375;&#2328;&#2358;&#2348;&#2381;&#2342;&#2327;&#2352;&#2381;&#2332;/&#1583;&#1726;&#1585;&#1605;&#1605;&#1740;&#1711;&#1726;&#1588;&#1576;&#1583;&#1711;&#1585;
&#1580;) Cherlin

On Sun, Jun 26, 2011 at 12:07 AM, <[hidden email]> wrote:
Nice. I assume that we can cut pies, and move the pieces slightly apart.
Also that it would be easy to color pie slices for teaching arithmetic.
What is N÷2/3? Cut N pies in thirds and color pairs of slices, then count
the pairs. If there is one slice left over, discuss.

Yes you will be able to cut "anything".  With Polygons in Etoys you can embed an image inside the polygon.  I will need to work out image placement, but it should be possible.

Stephen