Free Software and Cincom Smalltalk Non-Commercial

1234

Free Software and Cincom Smalltalk Non-Commercial

James Robertson-3
We've gotten a few questions about the use of Cincom Smalltalk for free
software distribution.  In light of that, here's the policy we have:

If you have downloaded Cincom Smalltalk non-commercial, then:

-- You are already under the non-commercial or academic license, so any
software you want to distribute also falls under that license

-- The end users of software you give away under the non-commercial or
academic license need not pay anything, either to you or Cincom, so long as
two things hold:

1) No money changes hands (if it does, it becomes a commercial transaction
rather than an NC/Academic transaction)

2) The end users use the software in Cincom Smalltalk non-commercial, in
the context of the development environment (i.e., not in a sealed runtime)

Under those criteria, you can distribute free software written in Cincom
Smalltalk Non-Commercial

James Robertson, Product Manager, Cincom Smalltalk
http://www.cincomsmalltalk.com/blog/blogView

RE: Free Software and Cincom Smalltalk Non-Commercial

Boris Popov, DeepCove Labs (SNN)
If I read it properly, the point #2 implies that one can't make
runtime-packaged freeware apps with VisualWorks Non-Commercial?

Cheers!

-Boris

--
+1.604.689.0322
DeepCove Labs Ltd.

[hidden email]

CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE

attachments.

Thank you.

smime.p7s (4K) Download Attachment

Re: Free Software and Cincom Smalltalk Non-Commercial

Charles A. Monteiro-2
James:

One may want to distribute something for free but that does not
necessarily mean that one may want the source code exposed or at least
blatantly exposed. So is it okay to all or any of:

1. Launch one's app at startup instead of the VW Launcher
2. Hide the source code to at least one's code.
3. Plead ignorance and just do what one things reasonable.

thanks

-Charles

Charles A. Monteiro

RE: Free Software and Cincom Smalltalk Non-Commercial

James Robertson-3
For personal use, sure.  For widespread distribution, the terms of the NC
license apply.  Meaning, the resulting sealed app can't be used for
commercial purposes.

Yes, BottomFeeder potentially violates that :)

At 02:03 PM 4/4/2006, you wrote:

>If I read it properly, the point #2 implies that one can't make
>runtime-packaged freeware apps with VisualWorks Non-Commercial?
>
>Cheers!
>
>-Boris
>
>--
>+1.604.689.0322
>DeepCove Labs Ltd.
>4th floor 595 Howe Street
>Vancouver, Canada V6C 2T5
>
>[hidden email]
>
>CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE
>
>This email is intended only for the persons named in the message
>header. Unless otherwise indicated, it contains information that is
>private and confidential. If you have received it in error, please
>notify the sender and delete the entire message including any
>attachments.
>
>Thank you.

Within the terms of the license, sure

At 02:05 PM 4/4/2006, you wrote:

>James:
>
>One may want to distribute something for free but that does not
>necessarily mean that one may want the source code exposed or at least
>blatantly exposed. So is it okay to all or any of:
>
>1. Launch one's app at startup instead of the VW Launcher
>2. Hide the source code to at least one's code.
>3. Plead ignorance and just do what one things reasonable.
>
>thanks
>
>-Charles
>

>On Tue, 04 Apr 2006 13:56:19 -0400, James Robertson <[hidden email]>
>wrote:
>
>>We've gotten a few questions about the use of Cincom Smalltalk for free
>>software distribution.  In light of that, here's the policy we have:
>>
>>If you have downloaded Cincom Smalltalk non-commercial, then:
>>
>>-- You are already under the non-commercial or academic license, so any
>>software you want to distribute also falls under that license
>>
>>-- The end users of software you give away under the non-commercial or
>>academic license need not pay anything, either to you or Cincom, so long
>>as two things hold:
>>
>>1) No money changes hands (if it does, it becomes a commercial
>>transaction rather than an NC/Academic transaction)
>>
>>2) The end users use the software in Cincom Smalltalk non-commercial, in
>>the context of the development environment (i.e., not in a sealed
>>runtime)
>>
>>Under those criteria, you can distribute free software written in Cincom
>>Smalltalk Non-Commercial
>>

>><Talk Small and Carry a Big Class Library>
>>James Robertson, Product Manager, Cincom Smalltalk
>>http://www.cincomsmalltalk.com/blog/blogView
>

>--
>Charles A. Monteiro

James Robertson, Product Manager, Cincom Smalltalk
http://www.cincomsmalltalk.com/blog/blogView

RE: Free Software and Cincom Smalltalk Non-Commercial

Boris Popov, DeepCove Labs (SNN)
Not if you own a developer license at $300 per year plus 5% royalty of
$0.00, right?

-Boris

--
+1.604.689.0322
DeepCove Labs Ltd.

[hidden email]

CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE

attachments.

Thank you.

At 02:03 PM 4/4/2006, you wrote:

>If I read it properly, the point #2 implies that one can't make
>runtime-packaged freeware apps with VisualWorks Non-Commercial?
>
>Cheers!
>
>-Boris
>
>--
>+1.604.689.0322
>DeepCove Labs Ltd.
>4th floor 595 Howe Street
>Vancouver, Canada V6C 2T5
>
>[hidden email]
>
>CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE
>
>This email is intended only for the persons named in the message
>header. Unless otherwise indicated, it contains information that is
>private and confidential. If you have received it in error, please
>notify the sender and delete the entire message including any
>attachments.
>
>Thank you.

That's commercial at that point, so there are no distribution qualifiers at
all.

At 02:14 PM 4/4/2006, you wrote:

>Not if you own a developer license at $300 per year plus 5% royalty of
>$0.00, right?
>
>-Boris
>
>--
>+1.604.689.0322
>DeepCove Labs Ltd.
>4th floor 595 Howe Street
>Vancouver, Canada V6C 2T5
>
>[hidden email]
>
>CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE
>
>This email is intended only for the persons named in the message
>header. Unless otherwise indicated, it contains information that is
>private and confidential. If you have received it in error, please
>notify the sender and delete the entire message including any
>attachments.
>
>Thank you.

stéphane ducasse-2
So ? what is the new description?

Because may be the users of BottomFeeder takes extreme advantage on
their competitor :)

Stef

> For personal use, sure.  For widespread distribution, the terms of
> the NC license apply.  Meaning, the resulting sealed app can't be
> used for commercial purposes.
>
> Yes, BottomFeeder potentially violates that :)
>

> At 02:03 PM 4/4/2006, you wrote:
>> If I read it properly, the point #2 implies that one can't make
>> runtime-packaged freeware apps with VisualWorks Non-Commercial?
>>
>> Cheers!
>>
>> -Boris
>>
>> --
>> +1.604.689.0322
>> DeepCove Labs Ltd.
>> 4th floor 595 Howe Street
>> Vancouver, Canada V6C 2T5
>>
>> [hidden email]
>>
>> CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE
>>
>> This email is intended only for the persons named in the message
>> header. Unless otherwise indicated, it contains information that is
>> private and confidential. If you have received it in error, please
>> notify the sender and delete the entire message including any
>> attachments.
>>
>> Thank you.

Well obviously. So if someone had wanted to develop an open source
application (say a web browser) and make it available in source as well as
runtime packaged form for free, they'd have to purchase a dev license? Not
saying its bad, just asking clarification.

Thanks!

-Boris

--
+1.604.689.0322
DeepCove Labs Ltd.

[hidden email]

CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE

attachments.

Thank you.

On 4 avr. 06, at 20:26, Boris Popov wrote:

> Well obviously. So if someone had wanted to develop an open source
> application (say a web browser) and make it available in source as
> well as
> runtime packaged form for free, they'd have to purchase a dev
> license? Not
> saying its bad, just asking clarification.

Is it the correct interpretation?
Because I did not interpret it like that.

Stef

> Thanks!
>
> -Boris
>
> --
> +1.604.689.0322
> DeepCove Labs Ltd.
> 4th floor 595 Howe Street
> Vancouver, Canada V6C 2T5
>
> [hidden email]
>
> CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE
>
> This email is intended only for the persons named in the message
> header. Unless otherwise indicated, it contains information that is
> private and confidential. If you have received it in error, please
> notify the sender and delete the entire message including any
> attachments.
>
> Thank you.

Re[2]: Free Software and Cincom Smalltalk Non-Commercial

Michael Lucas-Smith
> Well obviously. So if someone had wanted to develop an open source
> application (say a web browser) and make it available in source as well as
> runtime packaged form for free, they'd have to purchase a dev license? Not
> saying its bad, just asking clarification.

What kind of crazy person would develop a web browser?!

Re: Free Software and Cincom Smalltalk Non-Commercial

Isaac Gouy-2
Perhaps this clarification should also be made on
comp.lang.smalltalk

http://mail.yahoo.com

Re: Free Software and Cincom Smalltalk Non-Commercial

Charles A. Monteiro-2
not a lawyer :)

does the license just say that the dev environment must simply somehow be
present because in that case that is all I need :)

but in practical terms Cincom is not coming after BottomFeeder :) so
that's a model, right. Really, the NC license will be stifling to even
freeware if one is forced to expose code, it will also potentially impact
the usability of the freeware if the dev environment is in the face of the
user. It would be so much nicer and clearer if the license simply says
"you make money, we make money".

-Charles

On Tue, 04 Apr 2006 14:05:38 -0400, James Robertson <[hidden email]>
wrote:

> Within the terms of the license, sure
>
> At 02:05 PM 4/4/2006, you wrote:
>> James:
>>
>> One may want to distribute something for free but that does not
>> necessarily mean that one may want the source code exposed or at least
>> blatantly exposed. So is it okay to all or any of:
>>
>> 1. Launch one's app at startup instead of the VW Launcher
>> 2. Hide the source code to at least one's code.
>> 3. Plead ignorance and just do what one things reasonable.
>>
>> thanks
>>
>> -Charles
>>

>> On Tue, 04 Apr 2006 13:56:19 -0400, James Robertson <[hidden email]>
>> wrote:
>>
>>> We've gotten a few questions about the use of Cincom Smalltalk for free
>>> software distribution.  In light of that, here's the policy we have:
>>>
>>> If you have downloaded Cincom Smalltalk non-commercial, then:
>>>
>>> -- You are already under the non-commercial or academic license, so any
>>> software you want to distribute also falls under that license
>>>
>>> -- The end users of software you give away under the non-commercial or
>>> academic license need not pay anything, either to you or Cincom, so
>>> long
>>> as two things hold:
>>>
>>> 1) No money changes hands (if it does, it becomes a commercial
>>> transaction rather than an NC/Academic transaction)
>>>
>>> 2) The end users use the software in Cincom Smalltalk non-commercial,
>>> in
>>> the context of the development environment (i.e., not in a sealed
>>> runtime)
>>>
>>> Under those criteria, you can distribute free software written in
>>> Cincom
>>> Smalltalk Non-Commercial
>>>

>>> <Talk Small and Carry a Big Class Library>
>>> James Robertson, Product Manager, Cincom Smalltalk
>>> http://www.cincomsmalltalk.com/blog/blogView
>>

>> --
>> Charles A. Monteiro
>
> <Talk Small and Carry a Big Class Library>
> James Robertson, Product Manager, Cincom Smalltalk
> http://www.cincomsmalltalk.com/blog/blogView

Charles A. Monteiro

Re: Free Software and Cincom Smalltalk Non-Commercial

Andre Schnoor

Charles A. Monteiro wrote:

> not a lawyer :)
>
> does the license just say that the dev environment must simply somehow
> be present because in that case that is all I need :)
>
> but in practical terms Cincom is not coming after BottomFeeder :) so
> that's a model, right. Really, the NC license will be stifling to even
> freeware if one is forced to expose code, it will also potentially
> impact the usability of the freeware if the dev environment is in the
> face of the user. It would be so much nicer and clearer if the license
> simply says "you make money, we make money".
>
> -Charles

I guess Cincom sees the NC policy primarily as an opportunity to promte
the product among developers, i.e. they like to showcase the full IDE
(which is a good thing). Packaged runtimes for the average consumer are
not targeted at that audience.

Anyway, I don't think it would do any harm, but instead increase the
overall credibility. People are always asking "show me a full-featured
desktop application written in Smalltalk" (probably to deliberately
disregard ST in comparison to the miriad of C++ apps floating around).
The more Freeware apps are available, the less embarrasing this question
will get.

 From my own experience I know that - with a little effort, patience and
frustration tolerance regarding the still missing "basics" - it
definately *is* possible to build desktop apps that may well compete
with commercial big shots like the ones from Macromedia, or Adobe, for
example, both in regard to design/usability and performance.

Andre

Re: Free Software and Cincom Smalltalk Non-Commercial

James Robertson-3
The bottom line is, if you are making money, it's a commercial use.  If you
aren't, it's likely ok, whether sealed or unsealed.  Ultimately, we have to
pay our developers, or there won't be a product in the future.

At 09:26 AM 4/5/2006, you wrote:

>not a lawyer :)
>
>does the license just say that the dev environment must simply somehow be
>present because in that case that is all I need :)
>
>but in practical terms Cincom is not coming after BottomFeeder :) so
>that's a model, right. Really, the NC license will be stifling to even
>freeware if one is forced to expose code, it will also potentially impact
>the usability of the freeware if the dev environment is in the face of the
>user. It would be so much nicer and clearer if the license simply says
>"you make money, we make money".
>
>-Charles
>
>On Tue, 04 Apr 2006 14:05:38 -0400, James Robertson <[hidden email]>
>wrote:
>
>>Within the terms of the license, sure
>>
>>At 02:05 PM 4/4/2006, you wrote:
>>>James:
>>>
>>>One may want to distribute something for free but that does not
>>>necessarily mean that one may want the source code exposed or at least
>>>blatantly exposed. So is it okay to all or any of:
>>>
>>>1. Launch one's app at startup instead of the VW Launcher
>>>2. Hide the source code to at least one's code.
>>>3. Plead ignorance and just do what one things reasonable.
>>>
>>>thanks
>>>
>>>-Charles

>>>--
>>>Charles A. Monteiro
>>
>><Talk Small and Carry a Big Class Library>
>>James Robertson, Product Manager, Cincom Smalltalk
>>http://www.cincomsmalltalk.com/blog/blogView
>

>--
>Charles A. Monteiro

James Robertson, Product Manager, Cincom Smalltalk
http://www.cincomsmalltalk.com/blog/blogView

RE: Free Software and Cincom Smalltalk Non-Commercial

Boris Popov, DeepCove Labs (SNN)
That's where licensing gets tricky, because simple formulation like "you
make money, we make money" leaves room for me to develop something in NC,
gift it to my wife and let her make tons of dough w/o having to pay Cincom
anything ;)

Cheers!

-Boris

--
+1.604.689.0322
DeepCove Labs Ltd.

[hidden email]

CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE

attachments.

Thank you.

wrote:

> Within the terms of the license, sure
>
> At 02:05 PM 4/4/2006, you wrote:
>> James:
>>
>> One may want to distribute something for free but that does not
>> necessarily mean that one may want the source code exposed or at least
>> blatantly exposed. So is it okay to all or any of:
>>
>> 1. Launch one's app at startup instead of the VW Launcher
>> 2. Hide the source code to at least one's code.
>> 3. Plead ignorance and just do what one things reasonable.
>>
>> thanks
>>
>> -Charles
>>

>> On Tue, 04 Apr 2006 13:56:19 -0400, James Robertson <[hidden email]>
>> wrote:
>>
>>> We've gotten a few questions about the use of Cincom Smalltalk for free
>>> software distribution.  In light of that, here's the policy we have:
>>>
>>> If you have downloaded Cincom Smalltalk non-commercial, then:
>>>
>>> -- You are already under the non-commercial or academic license, so any
>>> software you want to distribute also falls under that license
>>>
>>> -- The end users of software you give away under the non-commercial or
>>> academic license need not pay anything, either to you or Cincom, so
>>> long
>>> as two things hold:
>>>
>>> 1) No money changes hands (if it does, it becomes a commercial
>>> transaction rather than an NC/Academic transaction)
>>>
>>> 2) The end users use the software in Cincom Smalltalk non-commercial,
>>> in
>>> the context of the development environment (i.e., not in a sealed
>>> runtime)
>>>
>>> Under those criteria, you can distribute free software written in
>>> Cincom
>>> Smalltalk Non-Commercial
>>>

>>> <Talk Small and Carry a Big Class Library>
>>> James Robertson, Product Manager, Cincom Smalltalk
>>> http://www.cincomsmalltalk.com/blog/blogView
>>

>> --
>> Charles A. Monteiro
>
> <Talk Small and Carry a Big Class Library>
> James Robertson, Product Manager, Cincom Smalltalk
> http://www.cincomsmalltalk.com/blog/blogView

--
Charles A. Monteiro

smime.p7s (4K) Download Attachment

Re: Free Software and Cincom Smalltalk Non-Commercial

Charles A. Monteiro-2
allright, reworded "anybody makes money, Cincom makes money"

happy :)

-Charles

Charles A. Monteiro

Re: Free Software and Cincom Smalltalk Non-Commercial

stéphane ducasse-2
Hi james

can you reply to that:

> Hi,
>
> It might just be too dark outside, but I do not understand what
> this means:
>>> 2) The end users use the software in Cincom Smalltalk non-
>>> commercial, in the context of the development environment (i.e.,
>>> not a sealed runtime)
>
> Does is mean that we are not allowed to give away an executable? If
> yes, why would that be?
>
> Also, about:
>>> 1) No money changes hands (if it does, it becomes a commercial
>>> transaction rather than an NC/academic transaction)
>
> I understand that as long as we do not get money for SELLING the
> software, it is Ok. I also understand that this does not apply on
> the SERVICES sold by using the software's output - that is, if we
> sell the consultancy service, nobody has to pay for VisualWorks.
>
> Is this correct?

Re: Free Software and Cincom Smalltalk Non-Commercial

Dave Stevenson-2
Doesn't "gift it to my wife" place her under the same licensing terms?

Dave

Boris Popov wrote:
> That's where licensing gets tricky, because simple formulation like "you
> make money, we make money" leaves room for me to develop something in NC,
> gift it to my wife and let her make tons of dough w/o having to pay Cincom
> anything ;)
>
> Cheers!
>
> -Boris

Re: Free Software and Cincom Smalltalk Non-Commercial

stéphane ducasse-2
Hi james

One person asked me that about the new text you sent.
can you reply to that:

> Hi,
>
> It might just be too dark outside, but I do not understand what
> this means:
>>> 2) The end users use the software in Cincom Smalltalk non-
>>> commercial, in the context of the development environment (i.e.,
>>> not a sealed runtime)
>
> Does is mean that we are not allowed to give away an executable? If
> yes, why would that be?
>
> Also, about:
>>> 1) No money changes hands (if it does, it becomes a commercial
>>> transaction rather than an NC/academic transaction)
>
> I understand that as long as we do not get money for SELLING the
> software, it is Ok. I also understand that this does not apply on
> the SERVICES sold by using the software's output - that is, if we
> sell the consultancy service, nobody has to pay for VisualWorks.
>
> Is this correct?

1234