FreeBSD's lang/squeak port vs 3.10-4

Frank Shearar

In my continuing exploration around FreeBSD and 3.10-4 I thought I'd try
Bert's "configure; make" on a fresh checkout of the repository.

First, I must note that the lang/squeak port works out of the box. This uses
the Squeak-3.9-7 VM.

I tried to build the 3.10-4 VM on a 32 bit machine this time Just In Case.
The attached make-configure.txt details the whole process of checking out
the repository, making the bld directory, etc.

Short version:

/usr/home/frank/temp/platforms/unix/plugins/ClipboardExtendedPlugin/sqUnixEx
tendedClipboard.c:31:21: error: X11/Xlib.h: No such file or directory
/usr/home/frank/temp/platforms/unix/plugins/ClipboardExtendedPlugin/sqUnixEx
tendedClipboard.c:32:22: error: X11/Xatom.h: No such file or directory
/usr/home/frank/temp/platforms/unix/plugins/ClipboardExtendedPlugin/sqUnixEx
tendedClipboard.c:42: error: expected '=', ',', ';', 'asm' or
'__attribute__' before '*' token
*** Error code 1

Stop in /usr/home/frank/temp/bld/ClipboardExtendedPlugin.
*** Error code 1

Stop in /usr/home/frank/temp/bld.

Now Xlib.h and Xatom.h are in well-known locations (for FreeBSD, at least):

frank@gont$ locate Xlib.h
/usr/local/include/X11/Xlib.h
frank@gont$ locate Xatom.h
/usr/local/include/X11/Xatom.h

This is exactly the same issue I had with building 3.10-4 on a 64-bit
FreeBSD machine.

Ah, I've just noticed _why_ (I think) the port works but not 3.10-4. The
port's makefile says this:

CONFIGURE_ARGS+=        --libdir=${PREFIX}/share \
                        --without-quartz \
                        LDFLAGS="-L${LOCALBASE}/lib" \
                        CPPFLAGS="-I${LOCALBASE}/include"

So a simple "configure; make; make install" doesn't work on FreeBSD. If this
is OK (in other words, if you simply have to specify LDFLAGS and CPPFLAGS),
then perhaps saying so in a README might be sufficient?

frank

make-configure.txt (191K) Download Attachment

Re: FreeBSD's lang/squeak port vs 3.10-4

Takeshi MUTOH

Hi, Frank.

I'm a maintainer of FreeBSD lang/squeak ports.

At Mon, 16 Feb 2009 16:54:55 +0200,
"Frank Shearar" <[hidden email]> wrote:
> In my continuing exploration around FreeBSD and 3.10-4 I thought I'd try
> Bert's "configure; make" on a fresh checkout of the repository.
>
> First, I must note that the lang/squeak port works out of the box. This uses
> the Squeak-3.9-7 VM.

I'm sorry, but 3.9-8 VM ports and 3.10-4 VM ports have some problems.
So, I can't upgrade these version.

> I tried to build the 3.10-4 VM on a 32 bit machine this time Just In Case.
> The attached make-configure.txt details the whole process of checking out
> the repository, making the bld directory, etc.

If you are interested in 32bit version of 3.10-4 VM ports, please visit:
   http://qml.610t.org/squeak/VM_test.html

If you fix some problems, please teach me how to fix!!

Thanks in advance.
        Takeshi MUTOH <[hidden email]>

"Takeshi MUTOH" <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi, Frank.
>
> I'm a maintainer of FreeBSD lang/squeak ports.

Hi Takeshi,

I was actually going to send you a mail soon, because I'd started writing a
lang/squeak310 port! (Well, I was going to ask you if you could maintain a
new 3.10 port, and give you a head start with a pretested set of files.)

> At Mon, 16 Feb 2009 16:54:55 +0200,
> "Frank Shearar" <[hidden email]> wrote:
> > In my continuing exploration around FreeBSD and 3.10-4 I thought I'd try
> > Bert's "configure; make" on a fresh checkout of the repository.
> >
> > First, I must note that the lang/squeak port works out of the box. This
uses
> > the Squeak-3.9-7 VM.
>
> I'm sorry, but 3.9-8 VM ports and 3.10-4 VM ports have some problems.
> So, I can't upgrade these version.
>
> > I tried to build the 3.10-4 VM on a 32 bit machine this time Just In
Case.
> > The attached make-configure.txt details the whole process of checking
out
> > the repository, making the bld directory, etc.
>
> If you are interested in 32bit version of 3.10-4 VM ports, please visit:
>    http://qml.610t.org/squeak/VM_test.html
>
> If you fix some problems, please teach me how to fix!!

Thanks very much, Takeshi!

frank