FreeType

Nicolas Cellier
I have created a repository for maintaining the trunk 4.5 branch:

MCHttpRepository
    location: 'http://ss3.gemstone.com/ss/FreeTypePlus'
    user: ''
    password: ''

FreeType requires a plugin.
It is pre-compiled and distributed with Pharo VM, so it's the easiest way to test it...

Re: FreeType

David T. Lewis
On Wed, Oct 30, 2013 at 10:59:21PM +0100, Nicolas Cellier wrote:

> I have created a repository for maintaining the trunk 4.5 branch:
>
> MCHttpRepository
>     location: 'http://ss3.gemstone.com/ss/FreeTypePlus'
>     user: ''
>     password: ''
>
> FreeType requires a plugin.
> It is pre-compiled and distributed with Pharo VM, so it's the easiest way
> to test it...

The FT2Plugin is built in to the unix interpreter VM.

Smalltalk listBuiltinModules select: [:e | 'FT2Plugin*' match: e]
   ==> #('FT2Plugin 23 January 2011 (i)')

Eliot, perhaps you can add this to your next Cog build also?

Nicolas, thanks for setting up the SS3 repository. For VM building, we
load FreeTypePlus into the image in order to get the pool variables
in FT2Constants. Maybe this can be moved to a package (FreeType-Constants
or similar) so that a VMMaker user can load just the constants?

Dave

Re: FreeType

Nicolas Cellier
So, from an interpreter VM, you load both
- FreeTypePlugin from www.queaksource.com/FreeTypePlugin
- FreeType from www.squeaksource.com/FreeTypePlus
and in the second one, you only need FT2Constants

You are proposing to separate those constants, like in Balloon3D-Constants?

OK, done, it's FreeTypeConstants in the ss3 repo.

On Thu, Oct 31, 2013 at 10:29:29PM +0100, Nicolas Cellier wrote:
> So, from an interpreter VM, you load both
> - FreeTypePlugin from www.queaksource.com/FreeTypePlugin
> - FreeType from www.squeaksource.com/FreeTypePlus
> and in the second one, you only need FT2Constants
>
> You are proposing to separate those constants, like in Balloon3D-Constants?

Yes.

> OK, done, it's FreeTypeConstants in the ss3 repo.

Thank you!

CC to vm-dev: This will allow source code generation for the FreeType
plugin without requiring that the entire FreeType package be present
in the image.

Dave

> 2013/10/31 David T. Lewis <[hidden email]>
>
> > On Wed, Oct 30, 2013 at 10:59:21PM +0100, Nicolas Cellier wrote:
> > > I have created a repository for maintaining the trunk 4.5 branch:
> > >
> > > MCHttpRepository
> > >     location: 'http://ss3.gemstone.com/ss/FreeTypePlus'
> > >     user: ''
> > >     password: ''
> > >
> > > FreeType requires a plugin.
> > > It is pre-compiled and distributed with Pharo VM, so it's the easiest way
> > > to test it...
> >
> > The FT2Plugin is built in to the unix interpreter VM.
> >
> > Smalltalk listBuiltinModules select: [:e | 'FT2Plugin*' match: e]
> >    ==> #('FT2Plugin 23 January 2011 (i)')
> >
> > Eliot, perhaps you can add this to your next Cog build also?
> >
> > Nicolas, thanks for setting up the SS3 repository. For VM building, we
> > load FreeTypePlus into the image in order to get the pool variables
> > in FT2Constants. Maybe this can be moved to a package (FreeType-Constants
> > or similar) so that a VMMaker user can load just the constants?
> >
> > Dave

Re: FreeType

Nicolas Cellier
But FT2Plugin initialize requires more classes:
    FT2Face FT2GlyphSlot FT2Outline

so the separation does not bring anything so far .