Friends of Morphic

Jerome Peace
Friends of Morphic

Hi Juan,

I couldn't imagine doing it without you.

I have been following your Morphic 3.0 with interest.
And it would be a natural topic for a Friends of
Morphic discussion.

I don't think there is anyone out there left to object
to repurposing the Morphic list to include Friends of
Morphic discussions.  And maybe the other thing to do
is to claim a few wiki pages for friends of morphic
topics (with illo's and screenshots and hyperlinks to
relevant pages and posts from the various mailing
lists).

The time for action is at hand. I'll post guidelines
on the Morphic list or maybe a swiki page.
The way to start would be for each friend to introduce
themselves briefly and mention their interest or
projects.

***
>Friends of Morphic
>

>Juan Vuletich juan at jvuletich.org
>Thu Jun 14 02:48:57 UTC 2007
>
>Hi Jerome,
>
>I'm currently interested mostly on advancing my
Morphic 3 project. You
>can read about it at www.jvuletich.org . If Friends
of Morphic agree,
>I'd like to share opinions, etc. about M3 in the
morphic list.

>BTW, Jerome, I'd be very happy if you got involved in
M3 somehow!

I just re-aquainted myself with your recent efforts.
I'm now involved.
Lots of feedback.

>Cheers,
>Juan Vuletich
>
>Jerome Peace escribió:
>> Hi Edgar, Hi all,
>>
>> This is a reply to correspondence I have be having
>> with Edgar about morphic. I've copied it to the
>> morphic list and to squeakdev. If any out there
have
>> an interest in becoming friends of morphic, I
invite
>> discussion and responses. I am hoping the morphic
list

>> might revive thru the help and interest of friends.
>>
>> Yours in curiosity and service, --Jerome Peace

>>> authority. I

>> You replied:
>>
>>> I don't have ideas now.
>>> I like Morphic, wish could improve and have a long
>>> life in Squeak.
>>> To me and you sure a Friends-of-Morphic group
works
>>> better.
>>> But if we wish impact, a team is the answer.
>>>

>> Yes, at some point a team will be the answer.
Right
>> now I am interested in questions.
>>
>> My idea of a friends group is to generate ideas in
>> more casual atmosphere. To attract interested
parties.
>> Identify strengths and weaknesses of those.
Identify
>> resources (I.e. who has experience and time (or
>> students!) to be part of a team.)
>> To identify interesting projects and maybe discuss
>> which are worth allocating resources to.
>>
>> Cheers Jer

***

in the all-new Yahoo! Mail Beta.

RE: Friends of Morphic

J J-6
> Date: Sun, 10 Jun 2007 09:38:49 +0200

> From: [hidden email]
> To: [hidden email]
> Subject: Re: Friends of Morphic
>
> The other part of dcl which is about how to combine the behaviour and
> the widgets easily maps to the Pluggable...Morphs if you separate
> creating the morphs from setting their actions and targets. This
> allows to create UI's before creating the models and for some groups
> of problems (mainly when doing something new) a UI helps me to find
> the necessary properties of the model.

I also have this issue sometimes; I would like build a UI sometimes before I know what the model is going to be.  But in Squeak I don't see how to do this graphically.  In Dolphin you have to make the "presenter", then you can draw the GUI for it and attach it (otherwise I don't know if you can save it somewhere).  Then sometime later you can make the model and attach that to the presenter.  I have not dug very deeply, but I haven't seen any way to really do this in Squeak, or at least nothing as easy.

Hotmail to go? Get your Hotmail, news, sports and much more! Check out the New MSN Mobile

Re: Friends of Morphic

Karl-19
J J wrote:

> > Date: Sun, 10 Jun 2007 09:38:49 +0200
> > From: [hidden email]
> > To: [hidden email]
> > Subject: Re: Friends of Morphic
> >
> > The other part of dcl which is about how to combine the behaviour and
> > the widgets easily maps to the Pluggable...Morphs if you separate
> > creating the morphs from setting their actions and targets. This
> > allows to create UI's before creating the models and for some groups
> > of problems (mainly when doing something new) a UI helps me to find
> > the necessary properties of the model.
>
> I also have this issue sometimes; I would like build a UI sometimes
> before I know what the model is going to be.  But in Squeak I don't
> see how to do this graphically.  In Dolphin you have to make the
> "presenter", then you can draw the GUI for it and attach it (otherwise
> I don't know if you can save it somewhere).  Then sometime later you
> can make the model and attach that to the presenter.  I have not dug
> very deeply, but I haven't seen any way to really do this in Squeak,
> or at least nothing as easy.
Have you looked at this project:
http://csl.ensm-douai.fr/EasyMorphicGUI
Looks really promising.

Karl

Re: Friends of Morphic

Herbert König
Hello Jason,

JJ> presenter.  I have not dug very deeply, but I haven't seen any way
JJ> to really do this in Squeak, or at least nothing as easy.

Karl already points to Nouri's gui tool. You can simply use squeak's
object catalog and place Morphs as UI elements into an empty project.

The big advantage over for example Nouri's approach is: you just place
TextMorphs in a certain colour onto or beside the UI elements to give
them names or to write a comment on the intended behaviour there.

When done I print the project and have a nice guideline for actual
programming.

For first sketches nothing beats paper and pencil.

Cheers

Herbert                            mailto:[hidden email]

Re: Friends of Morphic

Blake-5
On Fri, 22 Jun 2007 01:20:19 -0700, Herbert König <[hidden email]>
wrote:

> For first sketches nothing beats paper and pencil.

Ha! I thought I was the only one who still did that. One nice thing about
Squeak is that it doesn't put you into a little UI box so your original
conception can look like what you envisioned originally.

RE: Friends of Morphic

J J-6
> Date: Fri, 22 Jun 2007 10:20:19 +0200

> From: [hidden email]
> To: [hidden email]
> Subject: Re: Friends of Morphic
>
> Hello Jason,
>
> Karl already points to Nouri's gui tool. You can simply use squeak's
> object catalog and place Morphs as UI elements into an empty project.
>
> The big advantage over for example Nouri's approach is: you just place
> TextMorphs in a certain colour onto or beside the UI elements to give
> them names or to write a comment on the intended behaviour there.

The object catalog?  You mean that thing with about 8 tabs and shows some morphs?  I have tried that several times but I can never find anything in there.  I have never seen, for example the things one would use to build the class browser.

Hotmail to go? Get your Hotmail, news, sports and much more! Check out the New MSN Mobile

Re: Friends of Morphic

Herbert König
Hello Jason,

JJ> The object catalog?  You mean that thing with about 8 tabs
JJ> and shows some morphs?  I have tried that several times but I can
JJ> never find anything in there.  I have never seen, for example the
JJ> things one would use to build the class browser.

it's called Objects in the World menu and object catalog in the
widgets flap. And I'm only doing rough sketches like attached.

Magenta is for the names of the widgets, boldface is the general
purpose, the rest is description of function and general remarks.

The bottom right rectangle is not even part of the UI but a general
description how to use the UI.

I can send the picture by mail and then I pick up the phone to talk
about it.

In that particular image I have 14 Morphic projects (= 14 Desktops),
partly documentation, partly browsers opened on a certain aspect of
the code.

It's the familiar place to come back to which helps me start working
quickly after being absent for some time.

That's what I meant with superior to Delphi or VB where you can easy
place the original widgets on a form but there's no room for other
aspects.

Cheers

Herbert                            mailto:[hidden email]

world.png (41K) Download Attachment