Friends of Morphic

Jerome Peace
Hi Jason,

***

>Friends of Morphic
>
>J J azreal1977 at hotmail.com
>Sat Jun 23 07:44:12 UTC 2007
>

>> Date: Fri, 22 Jun 2007 10:20:19 +0200
>> From: herbertkoenig at gmx.net
>> To: squeak-dev at lists.squeakfoundation.org
>> Subject: Re: Friends of Morphic
>>
>> Hello Jason,
>>
>> Karl already points to Nouri's gui tool. You can
simply use squeak's
>> object catalog and place Morphs as UI elements into
an empty project.

>> The big advantage over for example Nouri's approach
is: you just place
>> TextMorphs in a certain colour onto or beside the
UI elements to give
>> them names or to write a comment on the intended
behaviour there.

>The object catalog?  You mean that thing with about 8
tabs and shows some
>morphs?  I have tried that several times but I can
never find anything in
>there.  I have never seen, for example the things one
would use to build the
>class browser.

Ha. Browsers come whole. They date back to MVC and
their components get linked up when they are created.
Because its been there and worked nobody (yet) has
even attempted to build morphic assemblable
components.

If you want to see that happen write a user story.

http://wiki.squeak.org/squeak/5994
I wish Morphic could do ...

Additionally join the lively friends of morphic
discussion that has taken over and revived the morphic
list.
http://lists.squeakfoundation.org/pipermail/morphic/2007-June/date.html

***

http://mobile.yahoo.com/go?refer=1GNXIC

Re: Friends of Morphic

Bert Freudenberg
On Jun 24, 2007, at 0:50 , Jerome Peace wrote:
> Browsers come whole. They date back to MVC and
> their components get linked up when they are created.
> Because its been there and worked nobody (yet) has
> even attempted to build morphic assemblable
> components.

Now that's not true. There have been various attempts at this, the
coolest perhaps being Dan's Fabrik:

        http://wiki.squeak.org/squeak/Fabrik

None of these projects were picked up and finished and maintained by
the community though.

- Bert -

RE: Friends of Morphic

J J-6
I see, so you use it like a drawing board.  Very creative.  Now if we just had a way to say "now turn this drawing into a real GUI". :)

> Date: Sun, 24 Jun 2007 08:47:34 +0200
> From: [hidden email]
> To: [hidden email]
> Subject: Re: Friends of Morphic
>
> Hello Jason,
>

> JJ> The object catalog?  You mean that thing with about 8 tabs
> JJ> and shows some morphs?  I have tried that several times but I can
> JJ> never find anything in there.  I have never seen, for example the
> JJ> things one would use to build the class browser.
>
> it's called Objects in the World menu and object catalog in the
> widgets flap. And I'm only doing rough sketches like attached.
>
> Magenta is for the names of the widgets, boldface is the general
> purpose, the rest is description of function and general remarks.
>
> The bottom right rectangle is not even part of the UI but a general
> description how to use the UI.
>
> I can send the picture by mail and then I pick up the phone to talk
> about it.
>
> In that particular image I have 14 Morphic projects (= 14 Desktops),
> partly documentation, partly browsers opened on a certain aspect of
> the code.
>
> It's the familiar place to come back to which helps me start working
> quickly after being absent for some time.
>
> That's what I meant with superior to Delphi or VB where you can easy
> place the original widgets on a form but there's no room for other
> aspects.
>

> Cheers
>
> Herbert mailto:[hidden email]

Make every IM count. Download Windows Live Messenger and join the i’m Initiative now. It’s free.  Make it count!