Frozen image

Amos-15
Hi All,

A couple of hours ago, I tried loading the FreeType Plus fonts via the
Package Browser into my web dev image. It took a while, so I did
something else and when I came back to take a look maybe 20 minutes
later, it was still sitting there with an unfinished progress bar. So
I figured it had hung itself and closed the image without saving (the
image was still responding).

Now when I start the image again, I get a frozen window that won't
refresh (it displays whatever was behind it initially, or just black
when it's minimised and restored). If I hit the close button on the
window, Squeak happily asks me if I want to exit without saving, so
I'm assuming that part of it is still running.

Is that a "common" problem? Is there any way I can break in and stop
whatever it's doing that freezes it up? I've tried Ctrl+B and Ctrl+Y
(common mappings in VisualWorks), but can't seem to do anything;
clicking any mouse button does nothing. There are quite a few things
I've worked on recently that I'd like to save the image if possible,
hopefully without having to manually go through the changes file. Any
hints how I can achieve that would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers,

Amos

Re: Frozen image

Damien Cassou-3
2007/12/19, Amos <[hidden email]>:

> A couple of hours ago, I tried loading the FreeType Plus fonts via the
> Package Browser into my web dev image. It took a while, so I did
> something else and when I came back to take a look maybe 20 minutes
> later, it was still sitting there with an unfinished progress bar. So
> I figured it had hung itself and closed the image without saving (the
> image was still responding).
>
> Now when I start the image again, I get a frozen window that won't
> refresh (it displays whatever was behind it initially, or just black
> when it's minimised and restored). If I hit the close button on the
> window, Squeak happily asks me if I want to exit without saving, so
> I'm assuming that part of it is still running.
>
> Is that a "common" problem? Is there any way I can break in and stop
> whatever it's doing that freezes it up? I've tried Ctrl+B and Ctrl+Y
> (common mappings in VisualWorks), but can't seem to do anything;
> clicking any mouse button does nothing. There are quite a few things
> I've worked on recently that I'd like to save the image if possible,
> hopefully without having to manually go through the changes file. Any
> hints how I can achieve that would be greatly appreciated.

You can try ALT+. which is the common way of stopping things in Squeak.

Damien Cassou

Re: Frozen image

Amos-15
On 12/19/07, Damien Cassou <[hidden email]> wrote:

> 2007/12/19, Amos <[hidden email]>:
> > A couple of hours ago, I tried loading the FreeType Plus fonts via the
> > Package Browser into my web dev image. It took a while, so I did
> > something else and when I came back to take a look maybe 20 minutes
> > later, it was still sitting there with an unfinished progress bar. So
> > I figured it had hung itself and closed the image without saving (the
> > image was still responding).
> >
> > Now when I start the image again, I get a frozen window that won't
> > refresh (it displays whatever was behind it initially, or just black
> > when it's minimised and restored). If I hit the close button on the
> > window, Squeak happily asks me if I want to exit without saving, so
> > I'm assuming that part of it is still running.
> >
> > Is that a "common" problem? Is there any way I can break in and stop
> > whatever it's doing that freezes it up? I've tried Ctrl+B and Ctrl+Y
> > (common mappings in VisualWorks), but can't seem to do anything;
> > clicking any mouse button does nothing. There are quite a few things
> > I've worked on recently that I'd like to save the image if possible,
> > hopefully without having to manually go through the changes file. Any
> > hints how I can achieve that would be greatly appreciated.
>
> You can try ALT+. which is the common way of stopping things in Squeak.
>
> --
> Damien Cassou

Doesn't seem to have any effect... the image is still frozen. Guess
I'll start retrieving my classes from the changes file tomorrow and do
more frequent backups :-(

Re: Frozen image

cedreek
maybe   "alt" + "." several times...

I noticed I had to do that sometimes... you can leave the alt pressed while hitting several times the point...

Cédrick

2007/12/19, Amos <[hidden email]>:
On 12/19/07, Damien Cassou < [hidden email]> wrote:

> 2007/12/19, Amos <[hidden email]>:
> > A couple of hours ago, I tried loading the FreeType Plus fonts via the
> > Package Browser into my web dev image. It took a while, so I did
> > something else and when I came back to take a look maybe 20 minutes
> > later, it was still sitting there with an unfinished progress bar. So
> > I figured it had hung itself and closed the image without saving (the
> > image was still responding).
> >
> > Now when I start the image again, I get a frozen window that won't
> > refresh (it displays whatever was behind it initially, or just black
> > when it's minimised and restored). If I hit the close button on the
> > window, Squeak happily asks me if I want to exit without saving, so
> > I'm assuming that part of it is still running.
> >
> > Is that a "common" problem? Is there any way I can break in and stop
> > whatever it's doing that freezes it up? I've tried Ctrl+B and Ctrl+Y
> > (common mappings in VisualWorks), but can't seem to do anything;
> > clicking any mouse button does nothing. There are quite a few things
> > I've worked on recently that I'd like to save the image if possible,
> > hopefully without having to manually go through the changes file. Any
> > hints how I can achieve that would be greatly appreciated.
>
> You can try ALT+. which is the common way of stopping things in Squeak.
>
> --
> Damien Cassou

Doesn't seem to have any effect... the image is still frozen. Guess
I'll start retrieving my classes from the changes file tomorrow and do
more frequent backups :-(

Re: Frozen image

Mail Lists-2
I too just had this problem the other day.

It is a DLL downloaded during the install.

I believe the problem is one of the following: freetype6.dll, ft2plugin.dll, msvcr71.dll

I didn't bother going through the troubleshooting to find out which one or why. Just moved them to a backup folder, started the image and we were back in business. Minus FreeType plus of course.

Taun

2007/12/19, Amos <[hidden email]>:
On 12/19/07, Damien Cassou < [hidden email]> wrote:
> 2007/12/19, Amos <[hidden email]>:
> > A couple of hours ago, I tried loading the FreeType Plus fonts via the
> > Package Browser into my web dev image. It took a while, so I did
> > something else and when I came back to take a look maybe 20 minutes
> > later, it was still sitting there with an unfinished progress bar. So
> > I figured it had hung itself and closed the image without saving (the
> > image was still responding).
> >
> > Now when I start the image again, I get a frozen window that won't
> > refresh (it displays whatever was behind it initially, or just black
> > when it's minimised and restored). If I hit the close button on the
> > window, Squeak happily asks me if I want to exit without saving, so
> > I'm assuming that part of it is still running.
> >
> > Is that a "common" problem? Is there any way I can break in and stop
> > whatever it's doing that freezes it up? I've tried Ctrl+B and Ctrl+Y
> > (common mappings in VisualWorks), but can't seem to do anything;
> > clicking any mouse button does nothing. There are quite a few things
> > I've worked on recently that I'd like to save the image if possible,
> > hopefully without having to manually go through the changes file. Any
> > hints how I can achieve that would be greatly appreciated.
>
> You can try ALT+. which is the common way of stopping things in Squeak.
>
> --
> Damien Cassou

Doesn't seem to have any effect... the image is still frozen. Guess
I'll start retrieving my classes from the changes file tomorrow and do
more frequent backups :-(

RE: Frozen image

Andrew Tween
Hi Amos,
If you are on Windows, then make sure that you are using the 3.9.2 Windows VM (or later).
(to check this, click on the Mouse icon at the top left to bring up the system
menu. Then choose VM Preferences>>Display Version Information)

(The bitbltplugin.dll will fail to work with older Win32 VMs. For more info see this thread...
http://lists.squeakfoundation.org/pipermail/squeak-dev/2007-May/116430.html
)

If you just want to get your image working again, then delete the BitBltPlugin.dll

Cheers,
Andy

> Date: Wed, 19 Dec 2007 20:02:35 +0900

> From: [hidden email]
> To: [hidden email]
> Subject: Frozen image
>
> Hi All,
>
> A couple of hours ago, I tried loading the FreeType Plus fonts via the
> Package Browser into my web dev image. It took a while, so I did
> something else and when I came back to take a look maybe 20 minutes
> later, it was still sitting there with an unfinished progress bar. So
> I figured it had hung itself and closed the image without saving (the
> image was still responding).
>
> Now when I start the image again, I get a frozen window that won't
> refresh (it displays whatever was behind it initially, or just black
> when it's minimised and restored). If I hit the close button on the
> window, Squeak happily asks me if I want to exit without saving, so
> I'm assuming that part of it is still running.
>
> Is that a "common" problem? Is there any way I can break in and stop
> whatever it's doing that freezes it up? I've tried Ctrl+B and Ctrl+Y
> (common mappings in VisualWorks), but can't seem to do anything;
> clicking any mouse button does nothing. There are quite a few things
> I've worked on recently that I'd like to save the image if possible,
> hopefully without having to manually go through the changes file. Any
> hints how I can achieve that would be greatly appreciated.
>
> Cheers,
>
> Amos

She said what? About who? Shameful celebrity quotes on Search Star!

Squeak VM version on squeak.org

Mail Lists-2
The frozen image thread had me look into why I did not have the latest VM.

Result: The 'Downloads Latest Release' link on Squeak.org downloads a
package with a VM from 2004. V 3.7.

I also definitely don't recall the Squeak.org page having the now
obvious SqueakVM link on the left. Nor the great documentation and links
if you go to the Downloads page. All good, it just looks like one spot
was missed.

So, how does the Windows Download quick link get updated so others don't
have frozen outdated VMs?

Good News - It is now easier to update the VM thanks to what appears to
be fairly recent changes.

Taun

Re: Squeak VM version on squeak.org

Andreas.Raab
http://squeakvm.org is the ultimate reference for all things VM. From
there you get to http://squeakvm.org/win32 which is the canonical
reference for the win32 VM. From here you get to either the latest VM
directly:

http://squeakvm.org/win32/release/SqueakVM-Win32-3.10.6-bin.zip
http://squeakvm.org/win32/release/SqueakVM-Win32-3.10.6-src.zip

or to all released VMs (which includes both 3.9 and 3.10 VMs):

http://squeakvm.org/win32/release

Cheers,
   -Andreas

Mail Lists wrote:

> The frozen image thread had me look into why I did not have the latest VM.
>
> Result: The 'Downloads Latest Release' link on Squeak.org downloads a
> package with a VM from 2004. V 3.7.
>
> I also definitely don't recall the Squeak.org page having the now
> obvious SqueakVM link on the left. Nor the great documentation and links
> if you go to the Downloads page. All good, it just looks like one spot
> was missed.
>
> So, how does the Windows Download quick link get updated so others don't
> have frozen outdated VMs?
>
> Good News - It is now easier to update the VM thanks to what appears to
> be fairly recent changes.
>

> Taun

Re: Squeak VM version on squeak.org

Karl-19
Mail Lists wrote:

> The frozen image thread had me look into why I did not have the latest
> VM.
>
> Result: The 'Downloads Latest Release' link on Squeak.org downloads a
> package with a VM from 2004. V 3.7.
>
> I also definitely don't recall the Squeak.org page having the now
> obvious SqueakVM link on the left. Nor the great documentation and
> links if you go to the Downloads page. All good, it just looks like
> one spot was missed.
>
> So, how does the Windows Download quick link get updated so others
> don't have frozen outdated VMs?
>
> Good News - It is now easier to update the VM thanks to what appears
> to be fairly recent changes.
>

> Taun

Ah, you are right. There was some access issues on the ftp that have
left things a little stale. I hope we can fix that soon.

Karl

Re: Frozen image

Amos-15
Hi Andy,

That did the trick, thanks Andrew. The thread you mentioned is the
exact problem I was having.

Shouldn't that info be posted on http://wiki.squeak.org/squeak/5984
and on http://wiki.squeak.org/squeak/696 and wherever else the font
thing is "documented"?

Incidentally, I thought my image (Damien's web dev image) was a 3.9,
but the version info from the VM Preferences menu says it's 3.7.1...?
Hmmm. Seems I still have much to learn about configuring my own image,
though I had thought that was what the here's-one-we-prepared-earlier
images were for. That shouldn't have to be as hard as it is, imho. It
would be great if there were a single authoritative source on such
things - not that this mailing list isn't a brilliant resource of
information, but the wiki seems a bit of a haphazardly collected bunch
of outdated as well as brand new information for insiders, while the
real info-gems are scattered about in various blogs. Sorry to go off
on a rant, guys, but I consider myself a good little googler, and I
find it frustrating when I have to spend more than a few minutes
researching something that should be trivial (like installing and
setting my own fonts in squeak), only to find the information outdated
and having my image freeze up on me, costing me another few hours of
trial and error, googling, etc... I don't mind fighting an uphill
battle when learning about a new technology, but I suppose I had
counted on the stuff that I know about (Smalltalk) being more of a
help to get into the stuff I want to learn about (Seaside), and
instead I spend entirely too much time wrestling with the stuff I know
next-to-nothing about (Squeak).

Hope that didn't come across as too negative, I do appreciate the help.

Cheers and merry Xmas,

Amos