Frozen is melted (can you guys please be patient?)

123

Frozen is melted (can you guys please be patient?)

EstebanLM
Hi,

First, let me be clear: I *like* sublimish theme (not for my use, but I like it), and I like (a lot) the windows list on spotter, and I like in general all this new additions.

And I know, most of those additions are usability enhancements so a good thing.

But can you guys stop pushing new features into a (in theory) frozen version?

Pharo 7 will arrive soon… *if* we can fix all things missing. If I can suggest an orientation, it would be good, for those that use linux and mac (windows is not ready), to test and help fix 64bits version.

There are still plenty of bugs to fix there, like for example why Spotter does not shows search line.

Last week I added support to Athens and SDL2 in 64bits but that meant:

- some important changes in UFFI
- discover something that seems is failing on callbacks for Cairo (no idea if it is a callbacks problem or an image problem that causes a callback problem).

I would say all this and the fact we are working on 64bits in general deserves a lot of testing.

I will add links in Pharo page to download 64bits (I’m at the train now), but in the mean time you can download all from here:

cheers,
Esteban

Re: Frozen is melted (can you guys please be patient?)

EstebanLM

On 6 Mar 2017, at 07:17, Esteban Lorenzano <[hidden email]> wrote:

Hi,

First, let me be clear: I *like* sublimish theme (not for my use, but I like it), and I like (a lot) the windows list on spotter, and I like in general all this new additions.

By the way, even if I like it, I would not have integrated SublimishTheme. For same reason I didn’t integrated DarkMetalTheme: My idea is to have just two themes *in image*: one white, one dark, and allow people to install other themes from catalog.

Why? Because each class inside image becomes our responsibility and then a maintainability issue. With themes in particular already happened that existing themes became abandonware inside the image and we needed to clean up, not without problems.

cheers,
Esteban

ps: which means also yes: that issue got integrated because I failed to control the flow of issues...

[...]

Esteban

Re: Frozen is melted (can you guys please be patient?)

philippeback
https://ci.inria.fr/pharo/job/Pharo-6.0-Issue-Validator-simple/7294/artifact/report.html is not integrated for some Monkey reason anyway - still should b/c if you put sublimish, you need a decent matching Spotter.

Also, I see https://pharo.fogbugz.com/f/cases/19796/Remove-duplicate-code-from-SublimishTheme on 5/3. If this moves forward, why not the other one?

BTW Sublimish was an extra thing. Who got that in image?

Phil

On 6 Mar 2017, at 07:57, [hidden email] wrote:

https://ci.inria.fr/pharo/job/Pharo-6.0-Issue-Validator-simple/7294/artifact/report.html is not integrated for some Monkey reason anyway - still should b/c if you put sublimish, you need a decent matching Spotter.

Also, I see https://pharo.fogbugz.com/f/cases/19796/Remove-duplicate-code-from-SublimishTheme on 5/3. If this moves forward, why not the other one?

BTW Sublimish was an extra thing. Who got that in image?

I don’t know.
It shouldn’t :)

What we should do is to create a page for themes and links to it (and they should be in catalog) :)

[...]

Aliaksei Syrel

In order to make Sublimish theme possible there are some important changes to gt morphic brick themer, spotter and probably other gt tools. Hardcoded color and style values were already considered as a serious issue and a bug.

Imho, we should integrate at least fixes on GT side :)

Thanks, Phil! Great job :)
Alex

Esteban

Re: Frozen is melted (can you guys please be patient?)

Pavel Krivanek-3

On 6 Mar 2017, at 07:57, [hidden email] wrote:

https://ci.inria.fr/pharo/job/Pharo-6.0-Issue-Validator-simple/7294/artifact/report.html is not integrated for some Monkey reason anyway - still should b/c if you put sublimish, you need a decent matching Spotter.

Also, I see https://pharo.fogbugz.com/f/cases/19796/Remove-duplicate-code-from-SublimishTheme on 5/3. If this moves forward, why not the other one?

BTW Sublimish was an extra thing. Who got that in image?

I don’t know.
It shouldn’t :)

What we should do is to create a page for themes and links to it (and they should be in catalog) :)

Well, it was me who proposed the slice and yes, I was aware of the fact that I should not do it because of code freeze (I was not aware of the two themes policy).

We can remove it again, I will prepare a slice.

-- Pavel

[...]

NorbertHartl
+1

Always true, always sad. But most changes for the good do something bad that is recognized after release.

Norbert

On 6 Mar 2017, at 09:22, Pavel Krivanek <[hidden email]> wrote:

On 6 Mar 2017, at 07:57, [hidden email] wrote:

https://ci.inria.fr/pharo/job/Pharo-6.0-Issue-Validator-simple/7294/artifact/report.html is not integrated for some Monkey reason anyway - still should b/c if you put sublimish, you need a decent matching Spotter.

Also, I see https://pharo.fogbugz.com/f/cases/19796/Remove-duplicate-code-from-SublimishTheme on 5/3. If this moves forward, why not the other one?

BTW Sublimish was an extra thing. Who got that in image?

I don’t know.
It shouldn’t :)

What we should do is to create a page for themes and links to it (and they should be in catalog) :)

Well, it was me who proposed the slice and yes, I was aware of the fact that I should not do it because of code freeze (I was not aware of the two themes policy).

it is not a policy, it is just the idea I have :)

We can remove it again, I will prepare a slice.

problem with it is that is makes ripples.
If community want it (is nice), we can include it, but I would wait for P7, yes.

[...]

Esteban

Re: Frozen is melted (can you guys please be patient?)

Marcus Denker-4
On the other hand: it is better to comb through the *many* issues very hard and close many, even some that might not be just bug fixes
than the other alternative: Just let the issue tracker rot “because we are in freeze”.

I feel *much* better now about the state of the issue tracker than 3 weeks ago. Now we are seeing light, while before it just god worse and worse
and worse…

If adding some “non fixes” is the price for that, I am willing to pay for it.

If people want to be more strict: We are *really* looking for feedback on issues. Any feedback, even “please postpone”.

Right now we do not have enough people to do this job and e.g. I can not reject everything. I just do not have the energy for that, as it kills all the
(little) fun of what is there in that job.

Marcus

On 6 Mar 2017, at 09:28, Norbert Hartl <[hidden email]> wrote:

[...]

At least it was an advertisement for this theme that moved it forward and the integration of it helped to improve the dark theme too. And showed again how much we need the concept of palettes used strictly in the system.

On Mon, Mar 6, 2017 at 9:42 AM, Pavel Krivanek <[hidden email]> wrote:

[...]

Ah ah, yeah, I had a ThemePalette thing but resisted rewiring everything. Jokes aside, yes, this is much needed as the current intent based colors with lighter/darker/lighter lighter and other tricks should in fact go into a true palette.

I think that we should at least cover this:

The 16 and 256 versions.

As Pharo on the CLI is becoming a thing, that will be helpful there.

There are also tons of palettes in Roassal but not to the same purpose.

(yeah I like Winamp, old me).

Pharo with such a look, oh yeah.

One thing I would love to have in the theme is the notion of an 'accent', like they do in MS products.
The current DarkTheme has a blue tint, but if we could easily switch that to orange/purple/green/... it would be awesome.

I learned a few things digging into Sublimish and GT, so, I think I can tweak Sublimish to have 2 things: a PharoAccentDarkTheme and a SublimishTheme that comes as a subclass of it.
Same with GT.

Tell me what you think.

Phil

[...]

I treid 64-bit Pharo on fresh (x)ubuntu and:
- Zodiac (SSL) works
- Roassal (Athens) work with a library path fix
. LibGit can be loaded with some effort.

It looks very promising! Thank you!

Cheers,
-- Pavel

[...]

Esteban

Re: Frozen is melted (can you guys please be patient?)

Thierry Goubier

I treid 64-bit Pharo on fresh (x)ubuntu and:
- Zodiac (SSL) works
- Roassal (Athens) work with a library path fix
. LibGit can be loaded with some effort.

You're luckier than me.

Pharo 64bits segfaults on both Ubuntu 16.04 and 16.10.

Thierry

On 6 Mar 2017, at 17:04, Thierry Goubier <[hidden email]> wrote:

I treid 64-bit Pharo on fresh (x)ubuntu and:
- Zodiac (SSL) works
- Roassal (Athens) work with a library path fix
. LibGit can be loaded with some effort.

You're luckier than me.

Pharo 64bits segfaults on both Ubuntu 16.04 and 16.10.

… and the dumps?

Esteban

Thierry

[...]

Here it is. Can create it on-demand :(

I had no success compiling 64bits vms by myself. They crash/deadlock after that point, but they are not usable either.

Thierry

Esteban

Thierry

crash.dmp (30K) Download Attachment

Re: Frozen is melted (can you guys please be patient?)

EstebanLM
which VM are you using?

this:

**PrimitiveFailure**
findSubstring:in:startingAt:matchTable:

indicates that you are not using a PharoVM… am I right?

Esteban

<crash.dmp>

Le 06/03/2017 à 18:43, Esteban Lorenzano a écrit :
> which VM are you using?
>
> this:
>
> **PrimitiveFailure**
> findSubstring:in:startingAt:matchTable:
>
> indicates that you are not using a PharoVM… am I right?

I'm using
https://dl.bintray.com/estebanlm/pharo-vm/pharo-linux-x86_64threaded.d7cda15.zip

Thierry

> [...]
>>>             64bits in general deserves a lot of testing.
>>>
>>>             I will add links in Pharo page to download 64bits (I’m at
>>>             the train now), but in the mean time you can download all
>>>             from here:
>>>
>>>             http://files.pharo.org/get-files/60/pharo-64.zip
>>>             <http://files.pharo.org/get-files/60/pharo-64.zip>
>>>             http://files.pharo.org/get-files/60/pharo64-linux-latest.zip
>>>             <http://files.pharo.org/get-files/60/pharo64-linux-latest.zip> (linux)
>>>             http://files.pharo.org/get-files/60/pharo64-mac-latest.zip <http://files.pharo.org/get-files/60/pharo64-mac-latest.zip> (mac)
>>>             http://files.pharo.org/get-files/60/sources.zip
>>>             <http://files.pharo.org/get-files/60/sources.zip> (in
>>>             case you need them)
>>>
>>>             cheers,
>>>             Esteban
>>>

>> <crash.dmp>

Re: Frozen is melted (can you guys please be patient?)

Sven Van Caekenberghe-2

> On 6 Mar 2017, at 19:51, stepharong <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> We should make it available from the catalog :)

Yes, it most certainly should be.

If only we could then tell user to type

 Shift-Enter Sublimish Enter

to install it using Spotter right from the catalog ;-)

Sorry, I couldn't resist ... <ducking>

>> On 6 Mar 2017, at 09:22, Pavel Krivanek <[hidden email]> wrote:

>>> On 6 Mar 2017, at 07:57, [hidden email] wrote:
>>>
>>> https://ci.inria.fr/pharo/job/Pharo-6.0-Issue-Validator-simple/7294/artifact/report.html is not integrated for some Monkey reason anyway - still should b/c if you put sublimish, you need a decent matching Spotter.
>>>
>>> Also, I see https://pharo.fogbugz.com/f/cases/19796/Remove-duplicate-code-from-SublimishTheme on 5/3. If this moves forward, why not the other one?
>>>
>>> BTW Sublimish was an extra thing. Who got that in image?
>>
>> I don’t know.
>> It shouldn’t :)
>>
>> What we should do is to create a page for themes and links to it (and they should be in catalog) :)
>>
>> Well, it was me who proposed the slice and yes, I was aware of the fact that I should not do it because of code freeze (I was not aware of the two themes policy).
>
> it is not a policy, it is just the idea I have :)
>

>> We can remove it again, I will prepare a slice.
>
> problem with it is that is makes ripples.
> If community want it (is nice), we can include it, but I would wait for P7, yes.
>
> https://pharo.fogbugz.com/f/cases/19801/Remove-SublimishTheme
> At least it was an advertisement for this theme that moved it forward and the integration of it helped to improve the dark theme too. And showed again how much we need the concept of palettes used strictly in the system.
>
> -- Pavel
>

> Esteban
>

>> -- Pavel
>>

>> Esteban
>>

>>> Phil

>>> By the way, even if I like it, I would not have integrated SublimishTheme. For same reason I didn’t integrated DarkMetalTheme: My idea is to have just two themes *in image*: one white, one dark, and allow people to install other themes from catalog.
>>>
>>> Why? Because each class inside image becomes our responsibility and then a maintainability issue. With themes in particular already happened that existing themes became abandonware inside the image and we needed to clean up, not without problems.
>>>
>>> cheers,
>>> Esteban
>>>
>>> ps: which means also yes: that issue got integrated because I failed to control the flow of issues...

123