FunSqueak is a great resource

David T. Lewis
The Squeak Oversight Board was discussing how to explain to "outside" people
what is so cool about Squeak, so naturally the topic of FunSqueak was raised
in the discussion.

For those who may not know, Edgar De Cleene prepares the FunSqueak image,
which contains a wonderful collection of Squeak applications past and present.

A fairly recent FunSqueak is on our ftp server:

  ftp://ftp.squeak.org/various_images/FunSqueak/FunSqueakCog4.3-11720-alpha.zip

I think that Edgar plans to prepare an update for Squeak 4.6 also.

For anyone on the list who may not have been involved in Squeak during its
earlier years, you definitely should take a look at FunSqueak. You may be
surprised at some of the things that can be done in Squeak.

Tim Rowledge - don't forget to look at this image for your Raspberry Pi
presentations!

Dave

Re: FunSqueak is a great resource

Chris Cunnington-4

Re: [Board] FunSqueak is a great resource

timrowledge

On 31-05-2014, at 12:27 PM, David T. Lewis <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Tim Rowledge - don't forget to look at this image for your Raspberry Pi
> presentations!

I’m ahead of you; I used this image for a demo at a meeting I presented in London a few weeks ago - not that I actually went to London, we did the whole thing via Skype. Which, to my total amazement actually worked perfectly for the entire meeting.

Since I know everybody will be utterly *fascinated*, here’s the story. I was contacted by the the ROUGOL folk (that RISC OS User Group Of London) and asked to talk to them about Squeak & Scratch on RISC OS on the Pi. So I arranged to send a set of images across to run locally (in the fairly nice looking pub they use for meetings) so that I could talk and direct a carefully trained demonstrator on the spot.

I knocked up a very simple “this is what Smalltalk looks like” image from a 4.5 image just as an introduction. In fact it’s currently at https://copy.com/9xGpGdHRoaKiMl2W for the terminally bored. It might be nice to build a lot more demoey stuff into it.
I sent them Edgar’s funsqueak image too but there are quite a few problems with running it in a RISC OS Pi, sadly. The 3D stuff simply fails, copy and paste breaks horribly, other problems that I imagine are partly due to cramming so many projects into one image and the potential clashes that causes.
I also sent them a RISC OS ready Scratch,

All in all it was great fun and everybody hung around for just under two hours! As a way to demo the joys of Squeak to people you can’t actually get to physically meet it was very successful.

tim
Useful Latin Phrases:- Re vera, potas bene = Say, you sure are drinking a lot.

Re: [Board] FunSqueak is a great resource

Edgar De Cleene

On 5/31/14, 6:53 PM, "tim Rowledge" <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On 31-05-2014, at 12:27 PM, David T. Lewis <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> Tim Rowledge - don't forget to look at this image for your Raspberry Pi
>> presentations!
>
> I¹m ahead of you; I used this image for a demo at a meeting I presented in
> London a few weeks ago - not that I actually went to London, we did the whole
> thing via Skype. Which, to my total amazement actually worked perfectly for
> the entire meeting.
>
> Since I know everybody will be utterly *fascinated*, here¹s the story. I was
> contacted by the the ROUGOL folk (that RISC OS User Group Of London) and asked
> to talk to them about Squeak & Scratch on RISC OS on the Pi. So I arranged to
> send a set of images across to run locally (in the fairly nice looking pub
> they use for meetings) so that I could talk and direct a carefully trained
> demonstrator on the spot.
>
> I knocked up a very simple ³this is what Smalltalk looks like² image from a
> 4.5 image just as an introduction. In fact it¹s currently at
> https://copy.com/9xGpGdHRoaKiMl2W for the terminally bored. It might be nice
> to build a lot more demoey stuff into it.
> I sent them Edgar¹s funsqueak image too but there are quite a few problems
> with running it in a RISC OS Pi, sadly. The 3D stuff simply fails, copy and
> paste breaks horribly, other problems that I imagine are partly due to
> cramming so many projects into one image and the potential clashes that
> causes.
> I also sent them a RISC OS ready Scratch,
>
> All in all it was great fun and everybody hung around for just under two
> hours! As a way to demo the joys of Squeak to people you can¹t actually get to
> physically meet it was very successful.
>
> tim
> Useful Latin Phrases:- Re vera, potas bene = Say, you sure are drinking a lot.

Thanks Dave for kind words, thanks Tim for using my previous work.
I afraid being sick and with work overload.
But I re take work , so being tuned.

Problem I found trying to update. See log
Complaints about MCReorganizationPreloader undef, but it's in 4.6 sources
and I verify .image is using.
Solved by hand, wish know if any have similar trouble.

Edgar

SqueakDebug.log (14K) Download Attachment