Future enhancement suggestion

Les Howell
Hi, everyone,
        As I am looking at the use of the Croquet-Cobalt software, it is
becoming visible to me how this is working, slowly the lights begin to
come on.

        So, Croquet is the application, and Cobalt is an IDE within that
application creating web interactive environments (islands).  Each user
of the application can go to various islands loaded via a ".c3d" file
and setting up the URL (hopefully a single process in the future).  Thus
if several users are on a system, they can or should all have access to
the cobalt-croquet stuff, but each would have separate island
selections.  I suggest that on linux each user has a ".cobalt" file for
saving his/her preferences, island files and so forth, thus each user
would have their own Content and islands stuff stored locally in their
account.  Croquet-cobalt would be a system file, like Firefox and
accessed via the normal "path".  The selection of island images could be
through a menu whose contents would change according to the ".c3d" files
a user has stored.  Thus once a person has visited an island, they can
revisit that same island using a menu without typing a URL or anything.
Also each user would see only the islands they have already visited.  In
addition, the islands could have ratings, similar to TV ratings, and the
Croquet-Cobalt application could then be controlled by parents or
administrators to limit access as required for business or children's
access.  In addition, users could be denied access to download the
".c3d" files that were outside the alloted class or the user directory
could be made write protected to prevent downloading content as
required.

        You may have already considered this, but I thought it worthwhile to
mention.

Regards,
Les H

Future enhancement suggestion

Americo Damasceno
All sugestions are welcome. And Julian Lombardi and the people that are
developing the software will decide the convenience and priority for  their
implementation.
Thanks.

Re: Future enhancement suggestion

Nikolay Suslov
Hello Les,

Working with saved Islands (c3d etc.) in Croquet/Cobalt is just the feature to import/export islands for long storage or quick restoring for online collaborative sessions. The main mechanism of working on Croquet/Cobalt Islands is to connect to them online through p2p network (by postcards for example).
This means, that  "Each user of the application can go to various islands" by connecting to one of the running on p2p node in Lan/Wan and joining the shared Island. And the future browser(aka more like Torrent, then Firefox) will point in the "path" not to the file (c3d like html etc), but to concrete machine address and port with user credentials, island id etc. So, everywhere instead of "file or c3d" just replace/think with online running p2p node!
For detail information of how Croquet session connection works look at
http://www.opencroquet.org/index.php/System_Overview#Starting.2C_Joining.2C_and_Participating

Regards,
Nikolay Suslov