Fwd: [ANN] Fuel Release Version 1.9

12

Fwd: [ANN] Fuel Release Version 1.9

tinchodias
Hi all,

We are happy to announce Fuel 1.9.

Fuel is an open-source general-purpose object serialization framework developed in Pharo. You can find more information on our website [1].

The default set of packages of this version already comes in Pharo 2.0, so you it's not necessary to install it there. However, Fuel also works out-of-the-box in Pharo from 1.1 up to 2.0, as well as in Squeak 4.1 up to 4.4. You can see our documentation [2] for complete installation and use guides.

Changes:

- (feature) DoIt and not-installed CompiledMethods are fully serialized by default.
- (fix) Date & DateAndTime (thanks Cami and Marcus) (already included in Fuel 1.8.1 and 1.8.2).
- (feature) New hooks methods #fuelNew and #fuelNew: for custom instantiation (see "Hooking instance creation" in Customizing the Graph).
- Globals:
   - Added #globalEnvironment: to specify where the globals are looked-up. (see "Changing the environment" in Managing Globals).
   - Explicit references to "Smalltalk globals" changed to "self class environment".
   - A SystemDictionary instance is not treated as global when it is not "Smalltalk globals".
- Documentation:
   - General update
   - New Format Migration section.
   - New Built-in Header Support section.
- (feature) Put back FLSerializer>>on:.
- (optimization) New clusters for SmallInteger.
- (optimization) New clusters for most common collections.
- (feature) Built-in support for header (See Built-in Header Support):
   - pre and post materialization actions (clean closures).
   - attach additional objects.
   - materialize only the header.
- (fix) Safer substitutions (see FLPluggableSubstitutionTest>>testPrivateExcluded).
- (feature) Materialize .fuel files when drag&dropped in the image.
- (cleanup) Removed unneeded cluster: FLWellKnownObjectsCluster.

We want to thank developers of the community that enrich the project with code, issue reports and ideas.

Have fun!

Martin (on behalf of Mariano and Max, who worked a lot on this version)

Re: Fwd: [ANN] Fuel Release Version 1.9

Edgar De Cleene
Re: [squeak-dev] Fwd: [ANN] Fuel Release Version 1.9

On 3/28/13 4:28 PM, "Martin Dias" <[hidden email]> wrote:

Hi all,
<R> We are happy to announce Fuel 1.9.

[1]: http://rmod.lille.inria.fr/web/pier/software/Fuel
[2]: http://rmod.lille.inria.fr/web/pier/software/Fuel/Version1.9/Documentation <http://rmod.lille.inria.fr/web/pier/software/Fuel/Version1.8/Documentation>

We want to thank developers of the community that enrich the project with code, issue reports and ideas.

Have fun!

Martin (on behalf of Mariano and Max, who worked a lot on this version)

Bravo , Martin, Mariano, Max
En cuanto pueda veo esto

Edgar

Re: Fwd: [ANN] Fuel Release Version 1.9

David T. Lewis
On Thu, Mar 28, 2013 at 08:28:44PM +0100, Martin Dias wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> We are happy to announce Fuel 1.9.
>
> Fuel is an open-source general-purpose object serialization
> framework developed in Pharo. You can find more information on our website
> [1].
>
> The default set of packages of this version already comes in Pharo 2.0, so
> you it's not necessary to install it there. However, Fuel also works
> out-of-the-box in Pharo from 1.1 up to 2.0, as well as in Squeak 4.1 up to
> 4.4. You can see our documentation [2] for complete installation and use
> guides.

Fuel is a very nice piece of work and I appreciate the effort to support Squeak.
Good design, good implementation, good documentation, what's not to like :-)

One issue in loading from Metacello #stable, FLBenchmarks class>>generateMiniSerializationVersionsComparison has this:

        Array with: 1 with: #1 with: '1'.

But for Squeak in needs to be:

        Array with: 1 with: #'1' with: '1'.

I can't run the tests in Squeak, but the Fuel package itself seems fine.

For RemoteTask (in package CommandShell) I can do "RemoteTask useFuelSerializer"
and all works as expected, with cooperating images exchanging serialized objects
with Fuel.

Thanks,

Dave

Re: Fwd: [ANN] Fuel Release Version 1.9

Frank Shearar-3
On 29 March 2013 01:26, David T. Lewis <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On Thu, Mar 28, 2013 at 08:28:44PM +0100, Martin Dias wrote:
>> Hi all,
>>
>> We are happy to announce Fuel 1.9.
>>
>> Fuel is an open-source general-purpose object serialization
>> framework developed in Pharo. You can find more information on our website
>> [1].
>>
>> The default set of packages of this version already comes in Pharo 2.0, so
>> you it's not necessary to install it there. However, Fuel also works
>> out-of-the-box in Pharo from 1.1 up to 2.0, as well as in Squeak 4.1 up to
>> 4.4. You can see our documentation [2] for complete installation and use
>> guides.
>
> Fuel is a very nice piece of work and I appreciate the effort to support Squeak.
> Good design, good implementation, good documentation, what's not to like :-)

Seconded! I added a new 1.9 release to SqueakMap. It loads cleanly
into 4.3 and 4.4, and all tests pass. (And there are CI jobs to make
sure things stay that way.)

Thank you very much, Martin, Mariano and Max!

frank

> One issue in loading from Metacello #stable, FLBenchmarks class>>generateMiniSerializationVersionsComparison has this:
>
>         Array with: 1 with: #1 with: '1'.
>
> But for Squeak in needs to be:
>
>         Array with: 1 with: #'1' with: '1'.
>
> I can't run the tests in Squeak, but the Fuel package itself seems fine.
>
> For RemoteTask (in package CommandShell) I can do "RemoteTask useFuelSerializer"
> and all works as expected, with cooperating images exchanging serialized objects
> with Fuel.
>
> Thanks,
>
> Dave

Re: [ANN] Fuel Release Version 1.9

Max Leske

On 29.03.2013, at 22:12, Frank Shearar <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On 29 March 2013 01:26, David T. Lewis <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> On Thu, Mar 28, 2013 at 08:28:44PM +0100, Martin Dias wrote:
>>> Hi all,
>>>
>>> We are happy to announce Fuel 1.9.
>>>
>>> Fuel is an open-source general-purpose object serialization
>>> framework developed in Pharo. You can find more information on our website
>>> [1].
>>>
>>> The default set of packages of this version already comes in Pharo 2.0, so
>>> you it's not necessary to install it there. However, Fuel also works
>>> out-of-the-box in Pharo from 1.1 up to 2.0, as well as in Squeak 4.1 up to
>>> 4.4. You can see our documentation [2] for complete installation and use
>>> guides.
>>
>> Fuel is a very nice piece of work and I appreciate the effort to support Squeak.
>> Good design, good implementation, good documentation, what's not to like :-)
>
> Seconded! I added a new 1.9 release to SqueakMap. It loads cleanly
> into 4.3 and 4.4, and all tests pass. (And there are CI jobs to make
> sure things stay that way.)

Wow! That's awesome! Do the CI jobs load Fuel bleeding edge? We've been discussing builds for Squeak for a while now and it would be truly great if we could immediately see the effects of our dev changes on the Squeak platforms (it's a lot of effort to discover and fix that later).

> Thank you very much, Martin, Mariano and Max!

Our pleasure :)

By the way: at the moment we have support packages also for 4.1 and 4.2. Do you think it would be ok to drop support for those two versions with the next release?

Max

On 29.03.2013, at 02:26, David T. Lewis <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On Thu, Mar 28, 2013 at 08:28:44PM +0100, Martin Dias wrote:
>> Hi all,
>>
>> We are happy to announce Fuel 1.9.
>>
>> Fuel is an open-source general-purpose object serialization
>> framework developed in Pharo. You can find more information on our website
>> [1].
>>
>> The default set of packages of this version already comes in Pharo 2.0, so
>> you it's not necessary to install it there. However, Fuel also works
>> out-of-the-box in Pharo from 1.1 up to 2.0, as well as in Squeak 4.1 up to
>> 4.4. You can see our documentation [2] for complete installation and use
>> guides.
>
> Fuel is a very nice piece of work and I appreciate the effort to support Squeak.
> Good design, good implementation, good documentation, what's not to like :-)
>
> One issue in loading from Metacello #stable, FLBenchmarks class>>generateMiniSerializationVersionsComparison has this:
>
> Array with: 1 with: #1 with: '1'.
>
> But for Squeak in needs to be:
>
> Array with: 1 with: #'1' with: '1'.
>
> I can't run the tests in Squeak, but the Fuel package itself seems fine.

Thanks Dave, I'll look at this tomorrow.

Max

> For RemoteTask (in package CommandShell) I can do "RemoteTask useFuelSerializer"
> and all works as expected, with cooperating images exchanging serialized objects
> with Fuel.
>
> Thanks,
>
> Dave

Re: [ANN] Fuel Release Version 1.9

Max Leske

On 29.03.2013, at 02:26, David T. Lewis <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On Thu, Mar 28, 2013 at 08:28:44PM +0100, Martin Dias wrote:
>> Hi all,
>>
>> We are happy to announce Fuel 1.9.
>>
>> Fuel is an open-source general-purpose object serialization
>> framework developed in Pharo. You can find more information on our website
>> [1].
>>
>> The default set of packages of this version already comes in Pharo 2.0, so
>> you it's not necessary to install it there. However, Fuel also works
>> out-of-the-box in Pharo from 1.1 up to 2.0, as well as in Squeak 4.1 up to
>> 4.4. You can see our documentation [2] for complete installation and use
>> guides.
>
> Fuel is a very nice piece of work and I appreciate the effort to support Squeak.
> Good design, good implementation, good documentation, what's not to like :-)
>
> One issue in loading from Metacello #stable, FLBenchmarks class>>generateMiniSerializationVersionsComparison has this:
>
> Array with: 1 with: #1 with: '1'.
>
> But for Squeak in needs to be:
>
> Array with: 1 with: #'1' with: '1'.

Thanks Dave, fixed that one.

> I can't run the tests in Squeak, but the Fuel package itself seems fine.

Why can't you run the tests? Does something not work as expected?

On Sat, Mar 30, 2013 at 06:33:58PM +0100, Max Leske wrote:

> On 29.03.2013, at 02:26, David T. Lewis <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> > On Thu, Mar 28, 2013 at 08:28:44PM +0100, Martin Dias wrote:
> >> Hi all,
> >>
> >> We are happy to announce Fuel 1.9.
> >>
> >> Fuel is an open-source general-purpose object serialization
> >> framework developed in Pharo. You can find more information on our website
> >> [1].
> >>
> >> The default set of packages of this version already comes in Pharo 2.0, so
> >> you it's not necessary to install it there. However, Fuel also works
> >> out-of-the-box in Pharo from 1.1 up to 2.0, as well as in Squeak 4.1 up to
> >> 4.4. You can see our documentation [2] for complete installation and use
> >> guides.
> >
> > Fuel is a very nice piece of work and I appreciate the effort to support Squeak.
> > Good design, good implementation, good documentation, what's not to like :-)
> >
> > One issue in loading from Metacello #stable, FLBenchmarks class>>generateMiniSerializationVersionsComparison has this:
> >
> > Array with: 1 with: #1 with: '1'.
> >
> > But for Squeak in needs to be:
> >
> > Array with: 1 with: #'1' with: '1'.
>
> Thanks Dave, fixed that one.
>

> > I can't run the tests in Squeak, but the Fuel package itself seems fine.
> >

> Why can't you run the tests? Does something not work as expected?

I did not look too closely, but I think it's just Squeak/Pharo variations in
the tests themselves. For example 'SystemVersion current major' seems to be
a Pharo idiom.

Dave

On 30 March 2013 18:44, David T. Lewis <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On Sat, Mar 30, 2013 at 06:33:58PM +0100, Max Leske wrote:

>> > Fuel is a very nice piece of work and I appreciate the effort to support Squeak.
>> > Good design, good implementation, good documentation, what's not to like :-)
>> >
>> > One issue in loading from Metacello #stable, FLBenchmarks class>>generateMiniSerializationVersionsComparison has this:
>> >
>> >     Array with: 1 with: #1 with: '1'.
>> >
>> > But for Squeak in needs to be:
>> >
>> >     Array with: 1 with: #'1' with: '1'.
>>
>> Thanks Dave, fixed that one.
>>

>> > I can't run the tests in Squeak, but the Fuel package itself seems fine.
>> >

>> Why can't you run the tests? Does something not work as expected?
>>

> I did not look too closely, but I think it's just Squeak/Pharo variations in
> the tests themselves. For example 'SystemVersion current major' seems to be
> a Pharo idiom.

Yes, that's changed between 4.4 and 4.5. So the tests that pass in 4.4
don't pass in 4.5.

frank

On 29 March 2013 21:55, Max Leske <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On 29.03.2013, at 22:12, Frank Shearar <[hidden email]> wrote:

>>> Fuel is a very nice piece of work and I appreciate the effort to support Squeak.
>>> Good design, good implementation, good documentation, what's not to like :-)
>>
>> Seconded! I added a new 1.9 release to SqueakMap. It loads cleanly
>> into 4.3 and 4.4, and all tests pass. (And there are CI jobs to make
>> sure things stay that way.)
>
> Wow! That's awesome! Do the CI jobs load Fuel bleeding edge? We've been discussing builds for Squeak for a while now and it would be truly great if we could immediately see the effects of our dev changes on the Squeak platforms (it's a lot of effort to discover and fix that later).

They load 1.9, so they test primarily that 4.5 doesn't break existing
stuff. However, we do need to have tests running the latest Fuel
(which of course might well go red). So I'll make sure to set up such
a test, and let you know the URL, so you can keep an eye on it.

frank

On 30.03.2013, at 19:57, Frank Shearar <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On 30 March 2013 18:44, David T. Lewis <[hidden email]> wrote:

>>> Thanks Dave, fixed that one.

>>> Why can't you run the tests? Does something not work as expected?
>>>

>> I did not look too closely, but I think it's just Squeak/Pharo variations in
>> the tests themselves. For example 'SystemVersion current major' seems to be
>> a Pharo idiom.
>
> Yes, that's changed between 4.4 and 4.5. So the tests that pass in 4.4
> don't pass in 4.5.

Ah, I see, thought you were talking about 4.4.
There will probably be more things not working with 4.5 since we chose to wait with supporting 4.5 until it's stable (released).

On 30.03.2013, at 20:00, Frank Shearar <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On 29 March 2013 21:55, Max Leske <[hidden email]> wrote:

>>> Seconded! I added a new 1.9 release to SqueakMap. It loads cleanly
>>> into 4.3 and 4.4, and all tests pass. (And there are CI jobs to make
>>> sure things stay that way.)
>>
>> Wow! That's awesome! Do the CI jobs load Fuel bleeding edge? We've been discussing builds for Squeak for a while now and it would be truly great if we could immediately see the effects of our dev changes on the Squeak platforms (it's a lot of effort to discover and fix that later).
>
> They load 1.9, so they test primarily that 4.5 doesn't break existing
> stuff. However, we do need to have tests running the latest Fuel
> (which of course might well go red). So I'll make sure to set up such
> a test, and let you know the URL, so you can keep an eye on it.

Great! Much appreciated.

Max

On Fri, Mar 29, 2013 at 2:26 AM, David T. Lewis <[hidden email]> wrote:
Fuel is a very nice piece of work and I appreciate the effort to support Squeak.
Good design, good implementation, good documentation, what's not to like :-)

wow, thank you Dave!

One issue in loading from Metacello #stable, FLBenchmarks class>>generateMiniSerializationVersionsComparison has this:

        Array with: 1 with: #1 with: '1'.

But for Squeak in needs to be:

        Array with: 1 with: #'1' with: '1'.

thanks for the report.

RemoteTask sounds great. I've never tried it yet. I'd like to add a brief reference to it in the website of Fuel. Is this the right url to point? http://wiki.squeak.org:8080/squeak/6176

On Sat, Mar 30, 2013 at 7:44 PM, David T. Lewis <[hidden email]> wrote:
I did not look too closely, but I think it's just Squeak/Pharo variations in
the tests themselves. For example 'SystemVersion current major' seems to be
a Pharo idiom.

Anyway we should remove this code and solve the problem like in other compatibility issues: using the Metacello configuration. I will open an entry in our issue tracker, to remember it.
Tx.
Martin

On Fri, Mar 29, 2013 at 10:12 PM, Frank Shearar <[hidden email]> wrote:
Seconded! I added a new 1.9 release to SqueakMap. It loads cleanly
into 4.3 and 4.4, and all tests pass. (And there are CI jobs to make
sure things stay that way.)

Thank you very much, Martin, Mariano and Max!

Thanks Frank. I'm sorry I'm not following the mailing-list, in what url can I find the ci jobs?

Martin

Re: Fwd: [ANN] Fuel Release Version 1.9

Igor Stasenko

#1 = 1
 true

#'1' = 1
false

have you changes that in squeak?
this is about syntax, i think.

--
Best regards,
Igor Stasenko.

On 8 April 2013 13:39, Martin Dias <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On Fri, Mar 29, 2013 at 10:12 PM, Frank Shearar <[hidden email]>
> wrote:

>> Seconded! I added a new 1.9 release to SqueakMap. It loads cleanly
>> into 4.3 and 4.4, and all tests pass. (And there are CI jobs to make
>> sure things stay that way.)
>>
>> Thank you very much, Martin, Mariano and Max!
>

> Thanks Frank. I'm sorry I'm not following the mailing-list, in what url can
> I find the ci jobs?

Ah, please forgive me for not updating you! I'm experimenting with
ways of making the tests of all the external packages more efficient,
but this where the Fuel tests go:

    http://build.squeak.org/job/ExternalPackage-Fuel/71/testReport/?

or for simply checking the latest build's tests,

    http://build.squeak.org/job/ExternalPackage-Fuel/lastSuccessfulBuild/testReport/?

Should that change, I'll be sure to let you know!

frank

On 8 April 2013 15:38, Igor Stasenko <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On 29 March 2013 02:26, David T. Lewis <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> On Thu, Mar 28, 2013 at 08:28:44PM +0100, Martin Dias wrote:
>>> Hi all,
>>>
>>> We are happy to announce Fuel 1.9.
>>>
>>> Fuel is an open-source general-purpose object serialization
>>> framework developed in Pharo. You can find more information on our website
>>> [1].
>>>
>>> The default set of packages of this version already comes in Pharo 2.0, so
>>> you it's not necessary to install it there. However, Fuel also works
>>> out-of-the-box in Pharo from 1.1 up to 2.0, as well as in Squeak 4.1 up to
>>> 4.4. You can see our documentation [2] for complete installation and use
>>> guides.
>>
>> Fuel is a very nice piece of work and I appreciate the effort to support Squeak.
>> Good design, good implementation, good documentation, what's not to like :-)
>>
>> One issue in loading from Metacello #stable, FLBenchmarks class>>generateMiniSerializationVersionsComparison has this:
>>
>>         Array with: 1 with: #1 with: '1'.
>>
>> But for Squeak in needs to be:
>>
>>         Array with: 1 with: #'1' with: '1'.
>>
>> I can't run the tests in Squeak, but the Fuel package itself seems fine.
>

> #1 = 1
>  true
>
> #'1' = 1
> false
>
> have you changes that in squeak?
> this is about syntax, i think.

I can't speak to when or why, but yes:

# Invalid literal character ->1

#'1' = 1
false

frank

On Mon, Apr 8, 2013 at 6:18 PM, Frank Shearar <[hidden email]> wrote:
On 8 April 2013 13:39, Martin Dias <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On Fri, Mar 29, 2013 at 10:12 PM, Frank Shearar <[hidden email]>
> wrote:

>> Seconded! I added a new 1.9 release to SqueakMap. It loads cleanly
>> into 4.3 and 4.4, and all tests pass. (And there are CI jobs to make
>> sure things stay that way.)
>>
>> Thank you very much, Martin, Mariano and Max!
>

> Thanks Frank. I'm sorry I'm not following the mailing-list, in what url can
> I find the ci jobs?

Ah, please forgive me for not updating you! I'm experimenting with
ways of making the tests of all the external packages more efficient,
but this where the Fuel tests go:

    http://build.squeak.org/job/ExternalPackage-Fuel/71/testReport/?

or for simply checking the latest build's tests,

    http://build.squeak.org/job/ExternalPackage-Fuel/lastSuccessfulBuild/testReport/?

Should that change, I'll be sure to let you know!

Nice! Thank you!

On Mon, Apr 08, 2013 at 04:38:13PM +0200, Igor Stasenko wrote:

> On 29 March 2013 02:26, David T. Lewis <[hidden email]> wrote:
> > On Thu, Mar 28, 2013 at 08:28:44PM +0100, Martin Dias wrote:
> >> Hi all,
> >>
> >> We are happy to announce Fuel 1.9.
> >>
> >> Fuel is an open-source general-purpose object serialization
> >> framework developed in Pharo. You can find more information on our website
> >> [1].
> >>
> >> The default set of packages of this version already comes in Pharo 2.0, so
> >> you it's not necessary to install it there. However, Fuel also works
> >> out-of-the-box in Pharo from 1.1 up to 2.0, as well as in Squeak 4.1 up to
> >> 4.4. You can see our documentation [2] for complete installation and use
> >> guides.
> >
> > Fuel is a very nice piece of work and I appreciate the effort to support Squeak.
> > Good design, good implementation, good documentation, what's not to like :-)
> >
> > One issue in loading from Metacello #stable, FLBenchmarks class>>generateMiniSerializationVersionsComparison has this:
> >
> >         Array with: 1 with: #1 with: '1'.
> >
> > But for Squeak in needs to be:
> >
> >         Array with: 1 with: #'1' with: '1'.
> >
> > I can't run the tests in Squeak, but the Fuel package itself seems fine.
>

> #1 = 1
>  true
>
> #'1' = 1
> false
>
> have you changes that in squeak?
> this is about syntax, i think.

It has been like this since Squeak 3.6 or before, so it was not changed in
Squeak. The expression #1 parses as an integer, although I do not know the
reason. The expression #'1' parses as a symbol in both Squeak and Pharo.

Dave

12