Fwd: Compiling Squeak failed with VMMaker on Mac

12

Re: Fwd: Compiling Squeak failed with VMMaker on Mac

johnmci

Say on
http://www.squeakvm.org/index.html

could I get a link to

Macintosh classic, Macintosh OSX Carbon VM information and downloads -

On Apr 17, 2007, at 4:57 PM, tim Rowledge wrote:

> I wrote a little ReadMe.txt to put in the platforms directory.
===
John M. McIntosh <[hidden email]>
===

Re: Fwd: Compiling Squeak failed with VMMaker on Mac

Damien Pollet

On 18/04/07, John M McIntosh <[hidden email]> wrote:
> >> Well, there is two "flavours" of builds for Mac OS. The one you
> >> choose
> >
> > Shouldn't there be only one ?
>
> Well imagine the world when you could pick between TWO solutions for
> your open source needs,

That's not what I meant. I meant one configurable build, so you share
maintenance work still have the two flavors. In the open source world,
choice is good provided there is enough work force. For a vertical
project (few users, few developers, few experts), it's better to have
one code base than split the already small community among forks.

I'm probably wrong, and I'd be happy to stand corrected, but as it is
now, the unix and mac builds look like forks (ie. unnecessary work
duplication) instead of justified modularity.

Damien Pollet
type less, do more [ | ] http://typo.cdlm.fasmz.org

Re: Fwd: Compiling Squeak failed with VMMaker on Mac

Damien Pollet

On 18/04/07, John M McIntosh <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Try the
> UnixOSProcessPlugin.4.0.1.bundle.zip
>
> that I stuck on my ftp site, or idisk, and let me know what you think.

Problem is, we want to reproduce the VM build, not gather bits and
pieces of binary stuff from vague locations...

Damien Pollet
type less, do more [ | ] http://typo.cdlm.fasmz.org

Re: Fwd: Compiling Squeak failed with VMMaker on Mac

Bert Freudenberg

On Apr 18, 2007, at 12:33 , Damien Pollet wrote:

>> > Shouldn't there be only one ?
>>
>> Well imagine the world when you could pick between TWO solutions for
>> your open source needs,
>
> That's not what I meant. I meant one configurable build, so you share
> maintenance work still have the two flavors. In the open source world,
> choice is good provided there is enough work force. For a vertical
> project (few users, few developers, few experts), it's better to have
> one code base than split the already small community among forks.
>
> I'm probably wrong, and I'd be happy to stand corrected, but as it is
> now, the unix and mac builds look like forks (ie. unnecessary work
> duplication) instead of justified modularity.

If any, it's a "reverse fork" - the Unix and Mac VMs used to have
nothing in common (except for the interpreter of course). Only
because Apple switched to Unix was it possible to make the Unix VM
work on Mac OS X. And actually I think there was a third Mac VM
that's not maintained anymore, which was completely in Objective C/
Cocoa.

You're welcome to work on the Grand Unified Mac VM. John's latest
work already went in that direction as far as I can tell, but so far
his VM is more complete.

- Bert -

On 18/04/07, Bert Freudenberg <[hidden email]> wrote:
> If any, it's a "reverse fork" - the Unix and Mac VMs used to have
> nothing in common (except for the interpreter of course). Only
> because Apple switched to Unix was it possible to make the Unix VM
> work on Mac OS X. And actually I think there was a third Mac VM
> that's not maintained anymore, which was completely in Objective C/
> Cocoa.

OK

> You're welcome to work on the Grand Unified Mac VM. John's latest
> work already went in that direction as far as I can tell, but so far
> his VM is more complete.

Indeed that's something I'd like to do but don't expect results any
time soon as I have to learn the C tools first :)

Damien Pollet
type less, do more [ | ] http://typo.cdlm.fasmz.org

Re: Fwd: Compiling Squeak failed with VMMaker on Mac

David T. Lewis

On Tue, Apr 17, 2007 at 12:51:51PM -0700, tim Rowledge wrote:

> On 17-Apr-07, at 12:00 PM, Mathieu Suen wrote:
>
> >You can't fix it to avoid them to be compiled on a Mac?
>
> Of course not - they're *useful* on Mac OS. Why would we want to not
> use them just to make it convenient to build  a generic-unix vm instead?

It's not directly related, but don't forget this tiny patch on Mantis:

0005403: Allow VMMaker cross-generation of plugin source for platform-dependent plugins

Dave

On Tue, Apr 17, 2007 at 04:42:57PM -0700, John M McIntosh wrote:

> On Apr 17, 2007, at 3:22 PM, Damien Pollet wrote:
>
> >I like the Gold VM because the .app behaves more like a correct Mac
> >application (it can open several images for instance), but it doesn't
> >have UnixOSProcess...
>
> Try the
> UnixOSProcessPlugin.4.0.1.bundle.zip
>
> that I stuck on my ftp site, or idisk, and let me know what you think.

I suppose that I should mention that I updated OSPP, AIO Plugin, and
XDisplayControlPlugin last week, so that new versions are on SqueakMap
(source code is on SqueakSource).

The older versions are all still fine, but I'd be interested to know if
the latest OSPP behaves reasonably on the Mac OS X VM, as it contains
my attempt to make signal handling and errno reporting work properly
with pthreads. I don't have a Mac to test with, so I'm not entirely
sure how successful this has been on a multithreaded VM.

Dave

Re: Fwd: Compiling Squeak failed with VMMaker on Mac

johnmci

Let me add that to the mac tree. The author of the plugin doesn't
have a mac so he's never built a mac version.
It was at one point very optional since it allows you to freely do
"evil" things so it was never shipped as part of
the standard out of the box configuration. In March work by various
people made it possible to compile and run
on the mac carbon VM. It does however not support things like X11
integration and forking a headfull carbon vm,
although you are welcome to try that with a headless VM.

On Apr 18, 2007, at 6:56 AM, David T. Lewis wrote:

> I suppose that I should mention that I updated OSPP, AIO Plugin, and
> XDisplayControlPlugin last week, so that new versions are on SqueakMap
> (source code is on SqueakSource).
>
> The older versions are all still fine, but I'd be interested to
> know if
> the latest OSPP behaves reasonably on the Mac OS X VM, as it contains
> my attempt to make signal handling and errno reporting work properly
> with pthreads. I don't have a Mac to test with, so I'm not entirely
> sure how successful this has been on a multithreaded VM.
>
> Dave

Let' me post the XCode build file to SVN today, and someone can do
testing for you.

===
John M. McIntosh <[hidden email]>
===

Re: Fwd: Compiling Squeak failed with VMMaker on Mac

johnmci

Ok, I checked in a UnixOSProcessPlugin folder in the Mac OS plugins
tree that contains the xcode project to build 4.01
someone can take it and build a 4.xx version, and test. Then feedback
the source and any changes and I'll build a binary for
inclusion as a plugin the 3.8.17b1 version of the mac carbon vm.

I've also added a note to the readme about the old browser
technology, versus the new browser technology.

===
John M. McIntosh <[hidden email]>
===

Re: Fwd: Compiling Squeak failed with VMMaker on Mac

Mathieu SUEN

Ok Thanks, I will try to follow the  process in the readme and give
you some feedback
        Mth

On Apr 18, 2007, at 8:27 PM, John M McIntosh wrote:

> Ok, I checked in a UnixOSProcessPlugin folder in the Mac OS plugins
> tree that contains the xcode project to build 4.01
> someone can take it and build a 4.xx version, and test. Then
> feedback the source and any changes and I'll build a binary for
> inclusion as a plugin the 3.8.17b1 version of the mac carbon vm.
>
> I've also added a note to the readme about the old browser
> technology, versus the new browser technology.

> =====
> John M. McIntosh <[hidden email]>
> Corporate Smalltalk Consulting Ltd.  http://
> www.smalltalkconsulting.com
> =====

Re: Fwd: Compiling Squeak failed with VMMaker on Mac

Mathieu SUEN

Ho! by the way should I have to compile the Exupery plugin or can it
works without it?

        Mth

On Apr 18, 2007, at 8:27 PM, John M McIntosh wrote:

> Ok, I checked in a UnixOSProcessPlugin folder in the Mac OS plugins
> tree that contains the xcode project to build 4.01
> someone can take it and build a 4.xx version, and test. Then
> feedback the source and any changes and I'll build a binary for
> inclusion as a plugin the 3.8.17b1 version of the mac carbon vm.
>
> I've also added a note to the readme about the old browser
> technology, versus the new browser technology.

> =====
> John M. McIntosh <[hidden email]>
> Corporate Smalltalk Consulting Ltd.  http://
> www.smalltalkconsulting.com
> =====

Re: Fwd: Compiling Squeak failed with VMMaker on Mac

johnmci

You can work without it, does not work on MacIntel anyway, unless
someone wants to make it work tho.

On Apr 18, 2007, at 2:37 PM, Mathieu Suen wrote:

> Ho! by the way should I have to compile the Exupery plugin or can
> it  works without it?
>
> Mth

===
John M. McIntosh <[hidden email]>
===

Re: Fwd: Compiling Squeak failed with VMMaker on Mac

timrowledge

On 17-Apr-07, at 5:07 PM, Andreas Raab wrote:

> I had some problems after Ian completed the last server move. I
> suspect that may have to do with it.

What needs to be done to make my access work again?

tim
Strange OpCodes: SBB: Store in Bit Bucket

Re: Fwd: Compiling Squeak failed with VMMaker on Mac

Andreas.Raab

Ian had to fix something on his end; I have no idea what it was.

Cheers,
   - Andreas