Fwd: Fwd: [squeakland] The Dynabook and modern computing

Fwd: Fwd: [squeakland] The Dynabook and modern computing

Yoshiki Ohshima-3
Benoit,

Hope this helps,

From: Benoît Fleury <[hidden email]>
Date: Tue, Apr 2, 2013 at 11:36 AM
Subject: Re: [squeakland] The Dynabook and modern computing
To: Bert Freudenberg <[hidden email]>
Cc: IAEP SugarLabs <[hidden email]>, squeakland list
<[hidden email]>

Thank you Bert for the link.

I am not sure to understand this metaphor with agriculture.

"One way to think of all of these organizations is to realize that if
they require a charismatic leader who will shoot people in the knees
when needed, then the corporate organization and process is a failure.
It means no group can come up with a good decision and make it stick
just because it is a good idea. All the companies I’ve worked for have
this deep problem of devolving to something like the hunting and
gathering cultures of 100,000 years ago. If businesses could find a
way to invent “agriculture” we could put the world back together and
all would prosper."

If someone could explain me what it means.

Thanks,
Benoit.

On Tue, Apr 2, 2013 at 1:38 PM, Bert Freudenberg <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Time interviews Alan Kay:
>
> http://techland.time.com/2013/04/02/an-interview-with-computing-pioneer-alan-kay/
>
> - Bert -

-- Yoshiki

-- Yoshiki

Re: Fwd: Fwd: [squeakland] The Dynabook and modern computing

mokurai
Actually, it was agriculture that led to the idea of government as a
protection racket and to kneecapping or worse of those who refused to pay
their taxes. Hunter-gatherer cultures are tribal, not national, and far
more cooperative. I have historical and archaeological data on this if
anybody needs it. Or you could watch The Gods Must Be Crazy and its sequel
for humorous examples.

"Run and tell everybody to come and help us eat this elephant." (Killed by
poachers, who took the tusks and left the body.)

--
Edward Mokurai
(&#40664;&#38647;/&#2344;&#2367;&#2358;&#2348;&#2381;&#2342;&#2327;&#2352;&#2381;&#2332;/&#1606;&#1588;&#1576;&#1583;&#1711;&#1585;&#1580;)

OT: The shift to agriculture (was Re: [squeak-dev] Fwd: Fwd: [squeakland] The Dynabook and modern computing)

Casey Ransberger-2
I'm not sure we've successfully completed a shift to agriculture at all.

Some of the problems that modern societies still struggle with are directly related to the fact that we're (instinctively) better at hunting/gathering than agriculture, e.g. we have expensive overflowing prisons, whereas a hunter/gatherer who serially violated social norms would likely be left to hunt and gather alone, a fate roughly equivalent to death (unless a position in another social group could be obtained.)

Sounds a bit like getting fired from a job, no? I think that might be what Alan meant about the knee capping, but I'm not him so I don't know for sure.