Fwd: [Moose-dev] Re: [Metacello] Re: Re: major repackaging planned

1 message Options

Fwd: [Moose-dev] Re: [Metacello] Re: Re: major repackaging planned

abergel

Début du message transféré :

Expéditeur: Tudor Girba <[hidden email]>
Date: 29 août 2011 17:44:57 UTC-04:00
Destinataire: Moose-related development <[hidden email]>
Cc: [hidden email]
Objet: [Moose-dev] Re: [Metacello] Re:  Re: major repackaging planned
Répondre à: Moose-related development <[hidden email]>

Hi,

When you try to load ConfigurationOfMoose>>default, the first thing Metacello does is to reify every version from ConfigurationOfMoose. So, basically first it creates a model of all versions of all configurations involved, and then it loads the version that was specified.

This is not good because a change in some version can break the loading of a perfectly working version.

Imagine that Monticello would do the same and if in the repository there exists one corrupt file, you cannot load any other version of that package. This is certainly not what you would like to have.

Cheers,
Doru

p.s. unfortunately, I changed my mail address, and I cannot post to the Metacello group until I my new mail address is registered again. If you see this mail, please reply to all so that my text gets to the Metacello group as well :)

On 29 Aug 2011, at 23:35, Stéphane Ducasse wrote:

what do you mean by reify?
So that I can follow.

Stef

On Aug 29, 2011, at 11:18 PM, Tudor Girba wrote:

Hi,

Currently, trying to load the ConfigurationOfMoose default leads to some sort of an infinite loop.

Now, here is the bummer. The new changes in the Moose-related configurations did *not* change the versions I am trying to load. And yet, I still cannot load the configuration I want.

The reason is most likely due to the problem of reifying *all* versions before loading only one of them. Thus, if one version that is not related to anything is broken everything is broken.

I raised this issue before, and I strongly believe this is not the way to go. Loading should be light in that it should only reify the version we are looking for.

Cheers,
Doru

On 29 Aug 2011, at 20:57, Alexandre Bergel wrote:

I am just back home. Dale found a number of errors in many configuration. Since Squeaksource was down, we couldn't go as far as we wished.

I saved the configuration and I am now trying to load version 4dale of Moose to see if it loads.

Cheers,
Alexandre

On 26 Aug 2011, at 18:28, Tudor Girba wrote:

Great. Any news?

Doru

On 26 Aug 2011, at 12:00, Alexandre Bergel wrote:

I am with Dale working on the configuration of moose problem.

Alexandre

On 26 Aug 2011, at 10:21, Dale Henrichs wrote:

Metacello supports "nested configurations" ... Seaside/Pier/Magritte/etc. all have long chains of project dependencies ...

I am in Edinburgh until tomorrow night so I am willing to sit down with someone who has an example of the "moose problem" on their laptop and we can characterize the problem ... I do not know if this is metacello bug, a configuration error or something in between .... but given the complexity of the moose configuration I need to be able to talk to someone about the intent of the configuration so that I can identify the bug/misunderstanding/configuration error...

Dale