Fwd: [Pharo-project] Compiling a Squeak VM for Pharo on Ubuntu 8.04 LTS Server (64bit)

Fwd: [Pharo-project] Compiling a Squeak VM for Pharo on Ubuntu 8.04 LTS Server (64bit)

Damien Cassou-3

Re: Fwd: [Pharo-project] Compiling a Squeak VM for Pharo on Ubuntu 8.04 LTS Server (64bit)

David T. Lewis

On Fri, Aug 07, 2009 at 01:14:21PM +0200, Damien Cassou wrote:

> [...]

A likely guess is that some 32-bit library needs to be installed on the
Linux system in question. The Squeak 3.10-6 VM runs fine on my 64bit
SuSE laptop.

> I'm using a bare-bones install of Ubuntu server, 8.04LTS 64bit. ?I'm
> using Slicehost.com for a virtual server to run a Seaside application
> (they use all 64bit *NIXs), and I'm switching from vanilla Squeak 3.9
> to Pharo.
>
> So, since the Squeak 3.10-6 VM didn't work either I decided to compile
> my own VM. ?This does not work out of the box on a vanilla Ubuntu
> Server 8.04 install, so here are the steps I took to successfully
> compile the VM from the 3.10-6 src files:
>
> (cd /Squeak-3.10-6/platforms/unix)
>
> Configure:
> ./config/configure --without-x --without-gl --without-quartz --without-npsqueak
>
> NOTE: The configure command adds 2 entries to disable the RomePlugin.
> It looks like it first tests Freetype (not installed so adds an entry
> to disable RomePlugin), and then tests Cairo (not installed, so adds
> *another* entry to disable RomePlugin). ?I believe the autoconf files
> need to be fixed for this, but I leave it up to the squeak-dev folks
> to figure that out as I have no knowledge of autoconf.
>
> Make:
> make squeak ?(this will error)
>
> To fix the damage from the note above, I had to remove the duplicate
> entry for RomePlugin_exports on line 22 of disabledPlugins.c.

Thats a problem of some sort in configure, but note also that RomePlugin
will not work on 64-bit systems (Mantis 7344).

Dave

Re: Fwd: [Pharo-project] Compiling a Squeak VM for Pharo on Ubuntu 8.04 LTS Server (64bit)

Andrew Gaylard

On Fri, Aug 7, 2009 at 1:14 PM, Damien Cassou<[hidden email]> wrote:

> NOTE: The configure command adds 2 entries to disable the RomePlugin.
> It looks like it first tests Freetype (not installed so adds an entry
> to disable RomePlugin), and then tests Cairo (not installed, so adds
> *another* entry to disable RomePlugin).  I believe the autoconf files
> need to be fixed for this, but I leave it up to the squeak-dev folks
> to figure that out as I have no knowledge of autoconf.
>
> Make:
> make squeak  (this will error)
>
> To fix the damage from the note above, I had to remove the duplicate
> entry for RomePlugin_exports on line 22 of disabledPlugins.c.
>
> Make:
> make squeak (should be successful)
> make squeak install

Ah. Yeah.  I posted a patch to fix this problem.  See

http://lists.squeakfoundation.org/pipermail/vm-dev/2009-January/002150.html

- Andrew