Fwd: [Pharo-project] usability of Pharo and Squeak

12

Re: Fwd: [Pharo-project] usability of Pharo and Squeak

laza
I think a common misconception is, that (at least) Squeak is just another Smalltalk IDE. As I see it, the goal was (still is?) to be much more than that. With a generic (and easy to use) GUI, without different contexts for eg. writing code or a letter. I think one manifestation of this idea is, that we are able to write down and evaluate some code in (almost) any place where text input is possible. Try to do that in any other mainstream IDE. We don't need to switch to a specific Smalltalk Code View and enter code in some special code evaluation pane where the output goes to a special console window etcetera.

So I would say Squeak's goal wasn't (isn't?) to just make the life of code monkeys easier.

Alex

Re: Fwd: [Pharo-project] usability of Pharo and Squeak

laza
2011/6/1 Ramon Leon <[hidden email]>
More importantly, that's how the rest of the world already works, Linux/Windows/Mac all support this; Smalltalk, no no... so busy worried about inventing the future it doesn't notice it got left behind.

Wow, so that's how the world works. I was just wondering. Thanks.
So running with pack is the only and ultimate strategy for success?

Alex

Re: Fwd: [Pharo-project] usability of Pharo and Squeak

Frank Shearar-3
On 1 June 2011 08:28, Alexander Lazarević <[hidden email]> wrote:
> 2011/6/1 Ramon Leon <[hidden email]>
>>
>> More importantly, that's how the rest of the world already works,
>> Linux/Windows/Mac all support this; Smalltalk, no no... so busy worried
>> about inventing the future it doesn't notice it got left behind.
>
> Wow, so that's how the world works. I was just wondering. Thanks.
> So running with pack is the only and ultimate strategy for success?

Of course not. Note that if you're the only one believing X, and
everyone else believes !X, that you might well be wrong. Not always,
but you can't be Copernicus or Galileo all the time.

Complacency - specifically, "we're so special that those rules don't
apply to us" - means that we get left behind. We have _been_ left
behind in many ways, while we hark back to the glory days of 1980.
Well, the rest of the world's had 31 years of trying and failing and
succeeding. Maybe we should take a good look at what other people have
done, and quietly copy what works.

As it happens, I work in "normal" IDEs and Squeak, and I love Squeak
_despite_ its lack of window management, not _because_ of it.

frank

Re: Fwd: [Pharo-project] usability of Pharo and Squeak

Stéphane Rollandin
> More importantly, that's how the rest of the world already works

That's the least important point, to me.

Re: Fwd: [Pharo-project] usability of Pharo and Squeak

Igor Stasenko
On 1 June 2011 01:22, Ramon Leon <[hidden email]> wrote:

>> +1
>> at this point i am usually closing everything without even considering
>> what window does what,
>> and start over again :)
>
> Ditto.
>
>> i dunno. many tabs are not anything better than many windows.
>> you will still lose time clicking on them till you will find one you
>> wanted.
>
> Sure they are, tabs allow you to cycle through windows meaningfully, browser
>> workspace > transcript > process explorer, without getting stuck flipping
> through 15+ browsers.  Once you've found the program you want, generally
> speaking, there's a way to cycle through it's tabs quickly to find what you
> want. Tabs give you context sensitive cycling through open things.  Alt +
> tab through windows, find program, ctrl + tab through open things in that
> program.  Vastly more productive than just having everything open a bunch of
> windows.
>
> More importantly, that's how the rest of the world already works,
> Linux/Windows/Mac all support this; Smalltalk, no no... so busy worried
> about inventing the future it doesn't notice it got left behind.

Ramon, i appreciate your worries that squeak/smalltalk left behind.
But to change that, we need to do something. Experiment,
invent better UI for us. Saying that X is better than Y because rest
of the world does Y is not very strong argument.
It may be better, but to test that, we need someone to do it and then
we can evaluate it. Only then you could state what is better.
Because smalltalk IDE is different comparing to other ides. And
workflow is different. And this is the reason why smalltalkers are
much more productive
comparing to other IDEs, even with those crappy windows clutter.
In Pharo, you already have tabs -  a task list at the bottom.
The problem is, that to my experience, it is not really helpful when
you have 15+ windows open.
That's why i'm not convinced that tabs will increase the productivity.

--
Best regards,
Igor Stasenko AKA sig.

Re: Fwd: [Pharo-project] usability of Pharo and Squeak

Ramon Leon-5
On 06/01/2011 06:58 AM, Igor Stasenko wrote:
> Ramon, i appreciate your worries that squeak/smalltalk left behind.

I'm not worried about anything, as I said earlier, I'm productive in
spite of the awful UI.  It's still an awful UI.

> But to change that, we need to do something. Experiment,
> invent better UI for us. Saying that X is better than Y because rest
> of the world does Y is not very strong argument.

Actually, it is, when it comes to user interfaces because there are
network effects involved and not being different just to be different
has huge benefits.  We're not talking about Smalltalk here, we're
talking about basic UI metaphors like windows and tabs.  There's nothing
innovative about Squeak/Pharo here visually, it's basic windows,
buttons, and scrollbars like every other windowing system out there.  It
behaves like any OS did a decade ago before tabs were common in most
apps.  Multiple document interfaces are not new, it's just a common
metaphor that Squeak/Pharo ignore to their detriment.

> Because smalltalk IDE is different comparing to other ides. And
> workflow is different. And this is the reason why smalltalkers are
> much more productive

The browser is different, but combining multiple browsers as is into a
single tabbed window doesn't change that; it's still the Smalltalk
browser.  I didn't suggest changing the browser.  Tabs are simply a way
to group windows together to reduce clutter.  It wouldn't stop anyone
from opening multiple browser windows if they wanted to.

> In Pharo, you already have tabs -  a task list at the bottom.

No.  That's a window list, it's nothing like tabs for the reasons I
already explained.  Tabs allow context sensitive cycling, the context
being the window.

> The problem is, that to my experience, it is not really helpful when
> you have 15+ windows open.

Of course not, because it's a window list, not a tab list.

> That's why I'm not convinced that tabs will increase the productivity.

Why would a window list convince you that tabs increase productivity?

--
Ramon Leon
http://onsmalltalk.com

On 1 June 2011 19:06, Ramon Leon <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On 06/01/2011 06:58 AM, Igor Stasenko wrote:
>>
>> Ramon, i appreciate your worries that squeak/smalltalk left behind.
>
> I'm not worried about anything, as I said earlier, I'm productive in spite
> of the awful UI.  It's still an awful UI.
>
>> But to change that, we need to do something. Experiment,
>> invent better UI for us. Saying that X is better than Y because rest
>> of the world does Y is not very strong argument.
>
> Actually, it is, when it comes to user interfaces because there are network
> effects involved and not being different just to be different has huge
> benefits.  We're not talking about Smalltalk here, we're talking about basic
> UI metaphors like windows and tabs.  There's nothing innovative about
> Squeak/Pharo here visually, it's basic windows, buttons, and scrollbars like
> every other windowing system out there.  It behaves like any OS did a decade
> ago before tabs were common in most apps.  Multiple document interfaces are
> not new, it's just a common metaphor that Squeak/Pharo ignore to their
> detriment.
>
>> Because smalltalk IDE is different comparing to other ides. And
>> workflow is different. And this is the reason why smalltalkers are
>> much more productive
>
> The browser is different, but combining multiple browsers as is into a
> single tabbed window doesn't change that; it's still the Smalltalk browser.
>  I didn't suggest changing the browser.  Tabs are simply a way to group
> windows together to reduce clutter.  It wouldn't stop anyone from opening
> multiple browser windows if they wanted to.
>
>> In Pharo, you already have tabs -  a task list at the bottom.
>
> No.  That's a window list, it's nothing like tabs for the reasons I already
> explained.  Tabs allow context sensitive cycling, the context being the
> window.
>
>> The problem is, that to my experience, it is not really helpful when
>> you have 15+ windows open.
>
> Of course not, because it's a window list, not a tab list.
>
>> That's why I'm not convinced that tabs will increase the productivity.
>
> Why would a window list convince you that tabs increase productivity?

because as you said, it is same, but for different context.

Could you please sketch a small image with what you want? Where you
want to put tabs?

--
Best regards,
Igor Stasenko AKA sig.

On 06/01/2011 10:15 AM, Igor Stasenko wrote:
> Could you please sketch a small image with what you want? Where you
> want to put tabs?

Not really necessary, just look at Google Chrome for example.  Each tab
is literally a separate process, it's really just multiple browser
windows grouped visually.  When you cycle the window list via alt + tab,
Chrome only shows up once so you can quickly find the app window you're
looking for.  Easy to alt + tab from Chrome to Email and back again.
Once in Chrome, easy to cycle through all the open tabs via ctrl + tab
in the context of that window or go directly to the tab you want via
ctrl + number.

No reason multiple Smalltalk browsers couldn't be grouped the same way.
  Then you could have 10 browsers open without feeling cluttered, easily
flip over to monticello to save a package, or a workspace to try
something out, then back to the browsers without ever resorting to
delete unchanged windows out of frustration.  Frustration is a common
occurrence with the Squeak family UI.

--
Ramon Leon
http://onsmalltalk.com

Re: Fwd: [Pharo-project] usability of Pharo and Squeak

Denis Kudriashov
Hello

2011/6/1 Igor Stasenko <[hidden email]>
In Pharo, you already have tabs -  a task list at the bottom.
The problem is, that to my experience, it is not really helpful when
you have 15+ windows open.
That's why i'm not convinced that tabs will increase the productivity.

Taskbar needs improvements. And maybe special tabs support will not needed.

My idea is grouping items opened from first tool (browser) opened from world wenu (or pragrammatically). So taskbar will show this groups.
When user click on group last used tool from this group will show. And another taskbar row will show all group contents (like usual taskbar). So this extra "tool taskbar" will be like tabs for first activation tool.
And this new "tool taskbar" can be shown on top of screen while base taskbar on bottom. Or this tool taskbar can opened in new special row on activated window from target group.

With this behavior developer could never think about implementing tabbed view of application contents. It will just default behavior of windows/taskbar manager.

On 06/01/2011 12:55 PM, Denis Kudriashov wrote:
> My idea is grouping items opened from first tool (browser) opened from
> world wenu (or pragrammatically). So taskbar will show this groups.

That's exactly what Windows 7 does. (I use Ubuntu, just saying)

> When user click on group last used tool from this group will show. And
> another taskbar row will show all group contents (like usual taskbar).

Close to Windows 7, but instead it shows a mini view of all open windows
of that type, similar to what Pharo task bar already does but with many
windows.

> With this behavior developer could never think about implementing tabbed
> view of application contents. It will just default behavior of
> windows/taskbar manager.

That might be a pretty good solution... if it's usable via the keyboard.

--
Ramon Leon
http://onsmalltalk.com

2011/6/2 Ramon Leon <[hidden email]>
Close to Windows 7, but instead it shows a mini view of all open windows of that type, similar to what Pharo task bar already does but with many windows.

Yes. But on Windows and current pharo  task bar show windows previews. But I want special extra tool taskbar shown with automatic last used tool activation. And after window activation this tool taskbar should not hide. It should stay like usual row with tabs.
And tool taskbar should have many layout policies not related to base taskbar.

Re: Fwd: [Pharo-project] usability of Pharo and Squeak

Marco Schmidt-2
Looping at the Idea Space concept of Dolphin Smalltalk may help to
clarify the use cases of "tabbed browsers". There was a Flash Movie on
www.Object-Arts.Co.uk demonstrating the Concept...

Marco Schmidt

Am 01.06.2011 um 19:07 schrieb Ramon Leon <[hidden email]>:

> On 06/01/2011 06:58 AM, Igor Stasenko wrote:
>> Ramon, i appreciate your worries that squeak/smalltalk left behind.
>
> I'm not worried about anything, as I said earlier, I'm productive in spite of the awful UI.  It's still an awful UI.
>
>> But to change that, we need to do something. Experiment,
>> invent better UI for us. Saying that X is better than Y because rest
>> of the world does Y is not very strong argument.
>
> Actually, it is, when it comes to user interfaces because there are network effects involved and not being different just to be different has huge benefits.  We're not talking about Smalltalk here, we're talking about basic UI metaphors like windows and tabs.  There's nothing innovative about Squeak/Pharo here visually, it's basic windows, buttons, and scrollbars like every other windowing system out there.  It behaves like any OS did a decade ago before tabs were common in most apps.  Multiple document interfaces are not new, it's just a common metaphor that Squeak/Pharo ignore to their detriment.
>
>> Because smalltalk IDE is different comparing to other ides. And
>> workflow is different. And this is the reason why smalltalkers are
>> much more productive
>
> The browser is different, but combining multiple browsers as is into a single tabbed window doesn't change that; it's still the Smalltalk browser.  I didn't suggest changing the browser.  Tabs are simply a way to group windows together to reduce clutter.  It wouldn't stop anyone from opening multiple browser windows if they wanted to.
>
>> In Pharo, you already have tabs -  a task list at the bottom.
>
> No.  That's a window list, it's nothing like tabs for the reasons I already explained.  Tabs allow context sensitive cycling, the context being the window.
>
>> The problem is, that to my experience, it is not really helpful when
>> you have 15+ windows open.
>
> Of course not, because it's a window list, not a tab list.
>
>> That's why I'm not convinced that tabs will increase the productivity.
>
> Why would a window list convince you that tabs increase productivity?
>
> --
> Ramon Leon
> http://onsmalltalk.com

12