Fwd: [Pharo-users] Vote for the best Smalltalk book of the last 5 years...

123

Re: [Esug-list] [Pharo-users] Vote for the best Smalltalk book of the last 5 years...

Bèrto ëd Sèra
Hi!

BTW I would love to be proved wrong, as I'm the first to be bitten by this: when I show my code to friends, I have to translate what it means...

The problem is two-fold. Monolingual people DO have a problem with code (whatever the programming language), on the other side all dev groups are international and I cannot expect to write in my native Piedmontese and have you read my msg... it's a trade-off, I'm afraid.

Bèrto

Re: [Pharo-users] Vote for the best Smalltalk book of the last 5 years...

stephane ducasse-2
May be you did not realized that I wrote more squeak books than pharo ones. So what is your problems?
I do not have any and if you feel better because you have nice words against me then I'm at least useful for
something.

Stef

On Sep 7, 2010, at 10:10 AM, Andreas Raab wrote:

> [...]
>
> "A conflict of interest can only exist if a person or testimony is entrusted with some impartiality; a modicum of trust is necessary to create it. The presence of a conflict of interest is independent from the execution of impropriety. Therefore, a conflict of interest can be discovered and voluntarily defused before any corruption occurs."
>
> It should be obvious that a person who is both organizer of a contest as well as participant is in a potential conflict of interest situation. If you recognize the conflict you can deal with it. It can be as simple as being explicit that you expect others to spread the invitation, for example by including "please redistribute this announcement as widely as possible in the Smalltalk community".
>
> Having said all that my original point still stands, namely that your invitation of the Pharo community specifically to vote is a clear expression of an unrecognized and unmitigated conflict of interest. You need to learn to recognize such situations and to act less emotionally. Conflicts of interests happen to all of us, they can be dealt with calmly and reasonably. And I expect the president of ESUG to be able to act in such a way.
>
> Cheers,
>  - Andreas

>>> Like "conflict of interest"? (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Conflict_of_interest)
>>>
>>> "A conflict of interest (COI) occurs when an individual or organization is involved in multiple interests, one of which could possibly corrupt the motivation for an act in the other."
>>>
>>> Given that you're both the author of half of the books as well as president of ESUG (the organizer) it's pretty clear that you're stuck in a conflict of interest situation. Inviting the Pharo community to participate and not others only shows how deep the conflict of interest goes - the president of ESUG shouldn't favor individual communities, should he?
>>
>> Thanks andreas for this welcome mail.
>> of course that esug does not something is not the wish of everybody.
>> And people will vote not us. And this is not my fault if I spent my nights trying to get better a smalltalk world.
>> Everybody can write books: a book is a word + a word + a word a lot of time, even you can do it.
>> Now yesterday I had a difficult day
>> - five visitors (one chilean, one argentinian, noury, luc, mariano and a team of 9 people to synchronize).
>> You see I even forgot to send the mail to the seaside mailing-list.
>>
>> Thanks again for such encouragement.
>>
>> Stef (talking small).

Re: [Esug-list] [Pharo-users] Vote for the best Smalltalk book of the last 5 years...

+1
Thanks noury. This is fun to feel bashed for trying to move and get our community more exposure.

Stef

On Sep 7, 2010, at 10:15 AM, Noury Bouraqadi wrote:

> Sorry Andreas. I don't see the conflict of interest.
> You cleary missunderstood the point.
>
> ESUG is just an engine for moving the Smalltalk community forward.
> The ESUG board will not decide which is the best book, this is why the vote is open to the community.
> Nevertheless, ESUG board members likewise other Smalltalkers can submit their work.
>
> We spent time listing books about Smalltalk.  And one of our conclusion is that the community is not very strong on this point, since we have only few authors (Andrès Valloud, Stéphane, ...). And we are lucky to have them.
>
> The goal of ESUG is to promote Smalltalk.
> Showing that  Smalltalk books are valuable and encouraging people to write is the point here.
>
> We want MORE SMALLTALK BOOKS!
> This is the message that everybody should remember.
>
> Noury
> http://car.mines-douai.fr/noury
> ----
> -18th International Smalltalk Joint Conference, September 13 -17 2010 Barcelona, Spain.
> http://www.esug.org/Conferences/2010
>
> -18ème Journées Francophones des Systèmes Multi-Agents (JFSMA), 18-20 october 2010, Mahdia, Tunisia.
> http://www.ltim.org/jfsma10/accueil.php
>
> -The SIMPAR 2010 International Workshop on Dynamic languages for RObotic and Sensors systems (DYROS), november 2010 - Darmstadt, Germany.
> http://www.doesnotunderstand.org/wikka.php?wakka=DYROS10
>
> -4th Argentinian Smalltalks Conference November 11th - 13th, 2010, Concepción del Uruguay, Entre Ríos, Argentina
> http://www.fast.org.ar/

Re: [Esug-list] [Pharo-users] Vote for the best Smalltalk book of the last 5 years...

Hannes Hirzel
On 9/7/10, stephane ducasse <[hidden email]> wrote:
> +1
> Thanks noury. This is fun to feel bashed for trying to move and get our
> community more exposure.
>
> Stef

I doubt that it is fun to feel bashed, Stef. You have are doing a lot.

The actual issue was that Andreas Raab was not pleased that you did
not send the mail to other lists or at least include a note that it
should be forwarded. That's all.

Otherwise I'd like to say that you are doing great in the Pharo
community and that the books produced for Seaside for example are
excellent.

Regards
Hannes

P.S. I cannot take part on the Pharo side  for bandwith reasons and
because I like to keep old Squeak projects of mine running but I am
interested in  what you are doing. I look into the mail exchanges from
time to time. With Google mail it is easy to have a filter showing
only Squeak in the inbox but having Pharo ready to search the
archives. I download as well the releases and I am looking forward to
see the 1.2 release.

Re: Vote for the best Smalltalk book of the last 5 years...

Bert Freudenberg
I for one am happy that there were enough books written about Smalltalk that we can have a competition.

Thank you for organizing the contest, ESUG.

Now let's spread the word and vote:

        http://www.surveymonkey.com/s/Q2LKKDT

In case this got lost in the unnecessary side discussion, it's open to Wednesday, Sept. 15 noon CEST.

- Bert -

(Squeak Oversight Board member, speaking for myself)

Re: [Esug-list] [Pharo-users] Vote for the best Smalltalk book of the last 5 years...

SergeStinckwich
On 07/09/10 18:17, Stéphane Rollandin wrote:

>> I think we need more translations also !
>>
>> What is the community thinking about that ?
>
> IMHO, considering how close is reading and writing Smalltalk code to
> reading and writing English text, I don't see how translating books will
> be enough to spread Smalltalk in the world: one has to read english to
> make sense of most methods usage... I believe Smalltalk is doomed to be
> a programming language for English speakers; that's unfortunate but I
> don't see a way out of that situation.

This is not specific to Smalltalk. The problem is the same with every
programming language.

Regards,

--
Serge Stinckwich
Every DSL ends up being Smalltalk

Re: Fwd: [Pharo-users] Vote for the best Smalltalk book of the last 5 years...

Alejandro F. Reimondo
Dear Stef,

>>> http://www.surveymonkey.com/s/Q2LKKDT

To honor the proposal of a "votation", imho, the list should include
 a "blank" option, to let us express disconformity with all books
 about smalltalk published in the last 5 years;
 also it wolud be nice to see the option of "another not listed" (with
 posibility to edit a reference).

cheers,
Ale.

> On 9/6/2010 10:15 PM, stephane ducasse wrote:
>>
>> On Sep 6, 2010, at 6:38 PM, Michael Haupt wrote:
>>
>>> Dear all,
>>>
>>> for some more or less conceivable reason, this hasn't made it to the
>>> Squeak list yet.
>>
>> like what?
>> I'm curious to learn.
>
> Like "conflict of interest"?
> (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Conflict_of_interest)
>
> "A conflict of interest (COI) occurs when an individual or organization is
> involved in multiple interests, one of which could possibly corrupt the
> motivation for an act in the other."
>
> Given that you're both the author of half of the books as well as
> president of ESUG (the organizer) it's pretty clear that you're stuck in a
> conflict of interest situation. Inviting the Pharo community to
> participate and not others only shows how deep the conflict of interest
> goes - the president of ESUG shouldn't favor individual communities,
> should he?
>
> Cheers,
>   - Andreas
>

>>> Best,
>>>
>>> Michael

We can't ignore evidence about people and corporations that
 tried to spread horizontally Smalltalk and failed
 during the last +30years.
It is not the same as in "programming languages".

It is a good time to start thinking in what make Smalltalk
 diferent.

Each time we make efforts to disolve peculiarities
 of Smalltalk, people choose for massive options.

"I always thought Smalltalk would beat Java,
 I just didn't know it would be
   called 'Ruby' when it did."
   (Kent Beck)

I have read this email in a local list about Ruby.
It can be a joke... or also can be that
 Kent has not understood what Smalltalk
 was and what Smalltalk is today.

all the best,
Ale.

> On 07/09/10 18:17, Stéphane Rollandin wrote:
>>> I think we need more translations also !
>>>
>>> What is the community thinking about that ?
>>
>> IMHO, considering how close is reading and writing Smalltalk code to
>> reading and writing English text, I don't see how translating books will
>> be enough to spread Smalltalk in the world: one has to read english to
>> make sense of most methods usage... I believe Smalltalk is doomed to be
>> a programming language for English speakers; that's unfortunate but I
>> don't see a way out of that situation.
>
> This is not specific to Smalltalk. The problem is the same with every
> programming language.
>
> Regards,
>

> --
> Serge Stinckwich
> UMI UMMISCO 209 (IRD/UPMC), Hanoi, Vietnam
> Every DSL ends up being Smalltalk
> http://doesnotunderstand.org/

Re: Vote for the best Smalltalk book of the last 5 years...

Jecel Assumpcao Jr
Bert Freudenberg wrote on Tue, 7 Sep 2010 14:50:22 +0200
> I for one am happy that there were enough books written about Smalltalk
> that we can have a competition.
>
> Thank you for organizing the contest, ESUG.

I would also like to thank both ESUG for holding the contest and the
authors for their very valuable contribution to the community. While
Andreas does have a point about conflict of interest, it is unavoidable
due to the small size of our community (we had quite a bit of conflict
over this on squeak-dev last year, for example). It is like the small
town where the same guy is the sheriff, the auto repairman, the judge,
the fireman and so on.

About the list itself, I did a quick search on Amazon for "smalltalk"
and found these others:

Discovering Smalltalk (The Benjamin/Cummings Series in Object-Oriented
Software Engineering)
by Wilf Lalonde
(Paperback - Jan 17, 2008) - it seems to use Digitalk Smalltalk V, so
this is probably a new edition of an old book

Advances in Smalltalk: 14th International Smaltalk Conference, ISC 2006,
Prague, Czech Republic, September 4-8, 2006, Revised Selected Papers
(Lecture ... / Programming and Software Engineering)
by Wolfgang De Meuter
(Paperback - May 18, 2007)

Grundkurs Smalltalk - Objektorientierung von Anfang an
by Johannes Brauer
(Perfect Paperback - 2008) - in German

Einsamkeit überwinden mit der TALISUND Strategie. Neue Menschen kennen
lernen - ohne Smalltalk.
by einsamkeit-ueberwinden.org
(Paperback - Mar 30, 2010) - in German

The SICS Java Port Project: Automatic Translation of a Large Object
Oriented System from Smalltalk to Java
by Skarsaune Martin
(Paperback - Sep 15, 2008) - I would expect zero votes for this one :-)

Self-Sustaining Systems: First Workshop, S3 2008 Potsdam, Germany, May
15-16, 2008, Proceedings (Lecture Notes in Computer Science /
Programming and Software Engineering)
by Robert Hirschfeld and Kim Rose
(Paperback - Nov 21, 2008)

Smalltalk Programming Language Family: Smalltalk, Squeak, Seaside, Ibm
Visualage, Scratch, Gnu Smalltalk, Visual Smalltalk Enterprise, Aida|web
by Books LLC
(Paperback - May 6, 2010)

Dialecte Smalltalk: Squeak, Pharo, Gnu Smalltalk, Scratch, Bistro,
Visualworks
by Livres Groupe
(Paperback - Aug 1, 2010) - in French

Class-Based Programming Languages: Java, C++, Python, Eiffel, Smalltalk,
Ruby, Simula, Common Lisp, Oberon, Clu, Objective-C, Squeak, Sather
by Books LLC
(Paperback - May 24, 2010)

Dynamically-Typed Programming Languages: Lisp, Perl, Python, Mumps,
Smalltalk, Ruby, Logo, Tcl, Self, Common Lisp, Objective-C, Rebol,
Squeak
by Books LLC
(Paperback - May 26, 2010)

Objektorientierte Programmiersprache: Php, Smalltalk-80, Embarcadero
Delphi, Oberon, Eiffel, Cluster, Haxe, Common Lisp, Pow!, Scratch, Lpc
by Bücher Gruppe
(Paperback - Jul 22, 2010) - in German

Langage Orienté Objet: Java, C++, Ada, Javascript, Ruby, Python,
Codegear Delphi, Smalltalk, Kylix, Objective-C, Eiffel, Perl 6, Visual T
Sharp
by Livres Groupe
(Paperback - Jul 29, 2010) - in French

Object-Oriented Programming Languages: Cobol, Java, C++, Perl, Fortran,
Python, Php, Eiffel, Smalltalk, Ruby, Blitz Basic, Turbo Pascal
by Books LLC
(Paperback - May 21, 2010)

Ruby (Programming Language): Reflection (computer science), Dynamic
programming language, Object-oriented programming language, Perl,
Smalltalk, Yukihiro ... language), Ada (programming language)
by Frederic P. Miller, Agnes F. Vandome, and John McBrewster
(Paperback - Oct 12, 2009)

I would say that the list is very reasonable without any of the above
books. Since I haven't read any of these nor the ones in the survey, I
won't be able to participate. But I find it great that people are still
taking the time to write new books.

-- Jecel

Smalltalk and English (was: Vote for the best Smalltalk book of the last 5 years...)

Jecel Assumpcao Jr
Serge Stinckwich wrote on Tue, 07 Sep 2010 20:32:46 +0700

> On 07/09/10 18:17, Stéphane Rollandin wrote:
> > IMHO, considering how close is reading and writing Smalltalk code to
> > reading and writing English text, I don't see how translating books will
> > be enough to spread Smalltalk in the world: one has to read english to
> > make sense of most methods usage... I believe Smalltalk is doomed to be
> > a programming language for English speakers; that's unfortunate but I
> > don't see a way out of that situation.
>
> This is not specific to Smalltalk. The problem is the same with every
> programming language.

When I started my Smalltalk computer project in Brazil back in 1984, it
was obvious to me that the English aspect of the language was going to
be a huge problem. The bulk of programs written in Basic, Pascal and
dBase were words invented by the programmers themselves and were nearly
always in their native language. Only a very short list of keywords had
to be in English and so carefully memorized. In constrast, Smalltalk-80
had a huge library and the only practical way to program in the language
was to be able to understand what a message was supposed to do from its
name rather than by memorizing each one.

Of course, all currently popular languages also have tons of libraries
so that this problem is no longer specific to Smalltalk. That doesn't
make it any less of a problem, however.

In 1984 I translated all the symbols listed in the blue book into
Portuguese. There were several pretty complicated problems and I can't
say I was too happy with my solutions, but I felt it was important to
deal with the problem. I designed a MultiSymbol class so you could type
in your sources in either English or Portuguese (and other languages in
the future) and then see in the browser whatever you liked best. That
allowed source to be shared between people using different native
languages including typing in code published in some book or magazine. A
couple of years later I actually tested this scheme in Smalltalk V and
it worked great.

It didn't handle comments, of course, and was limited to the original
libraries. As programmers added to the vocabulary the translations would
be missing. So I came up with a solution for semi-automatic translation
using the Universal Network Language. That would allow a programmer
familiar with just one native language to generate code and
documentations that could be read in any other language.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Universal_Networking_Language

This is still on my "to do" list. While it might seem reasonable to
people on this list to tell others "you have to learn English if you
want to program", we are hardly a representative group.

-- Jecel

Re: Vote for the best Smalltalk book of the last 5 years...

stephane ducasse-2
Thanks Bert!
We should make more noise and get new writers.

Stef

> I for one am happy that there were enough books written about Smalltalk that we can have a competition.
>
> Thank you for organizing the contest, ESUG.
>
> Now let's spread the word and vote:
>
> http://www.surveymonkey.com/s/Q2LKKDT
>
> In case this got lost in the unnecessary side discussion, it's open to Wednesday, Sept. 15 noon CEST.
>
> - Bert -
>
> (Squeak Oversight Board member, speaking for myself)

Re: Vote for the best Smalltalk book of the last 5 years...

Andreas Wacknitz

Am 07.09.2010 um 15:16 schrieb Jecel Assumpcao Jr.:

> Bert Freudenberg wrote on Tue, 7 Sep 2010 14:50:22 +0200
>> I for one am happy that there were enough books written about Smalltalk
>> that we can have a competition.
>>
>> Thank you for organizing the contest, ESUG.
>
> I would also like to thank both ESUG for holding the contest and the
> authors for their very valuable contribution to the community. While
> Andreas does have a point about conflict of interest, it is unavoidable
> due to the small size of our community (we had quite a bit of conflict
> over this on squeak-dev last year, for example). It is like the small
> town where the same guy is the sheriff, the auto repairman, the judge,
> the fireman and so on.
>
> About the list itself, I did a quick search on Amazon for "smalltalk"
> and found these others:
>
> Discovering Smalltalk (The Benjamin/Cummings Series in Object-Oriented
> Software Engineering)
> by Wilf Lalonde
> (Paperback - Jan 17, 2008) - it seems to use Digitalk Smalltalk V, so
> this is probably a new edition of an old book
>
> Advances in Smalltalk: 14th International Smaltalk Conference, ISC 2006,
> Prague, Czech Republic, September 4-8, 2006, Revised Selected Papers
> (Lecture ... / Programming and Software Engineering)
> by Wolfgang De Meuter
> (Paperback - May 18, 2007)
>
> Grundkurs Smalltalk - Objektorientierung von Anfang an
> by Johannes Brauer
> (Perfect Paperback - 2008) - in German
>
> Einsamkeit überwinden mit der TALISUND Strategie. Neue Menschen kennen
> lernen - ohne Smalltalk.
> by einsamkeit-ueberwinden.org
> (Paperback - Mar 30, 2010) - in German

Remove this from your list. It's about small talk and not about Smalltalk ;-)

Regards,
Andreas

small talk (was: Vote for the best Smalltalk book of the last 5 years...)

Jecel Assumpcao Jr
Andreas Wacknitz wrote on Tue, 7 Sep 2010 20:54:17 +0200
> Am 07.09.2010 um 15:16 schrieb Jecel Assumpcao Jr.:
> > Einsamkeit überwinden mit der TALISUND Strategie. Neue Menschen kennen
> > lernen - ohne Smalltalk.
> > by einsamkeit-ueberwinden.org
> > (Paperback - Mar 30, 2010) - in German
> >
> Remove this from your list. It's about small talk and not about Smalltalk ;-)

Yeah, there were about 30 like this, all in German. While the others
were very obvious from the pictures on the covers, I wasn't sure about
this one.

At ECOOP 95 the Self team had some fun with this by showing a fragment
from Star Trek - The Next Generation with Data trying to learn small
talk -

http://memory-alpha.org/wiki/Small_talk

followed by another fragment from the same series talking about "self"
being the most important idea of all.

-- Jecel

Re: [Esug-list] [Pharo-users] Vote for the best Smalltalk book of the last 5 years...

hernanmd
Hi Ale,

2010/9/7 Alejandro F. Reimondo <[hidden email]>:

>> This is not specific to Smalltalk. The problem is the same with every
>> programming language.
>
> We can't ignore evidence about people and corporations that
> tried to spread horizontally Smalltalk and failed
> during the last +30years.

Management pedagogy practices are widely ignored in open-source
communities, people here may ignore what do you mean with
horizontal/vertical learning...

> It is not the same as in "programming languages".

And I wonder why developers think in more in languages instead of
systems (formal education? lack of interest in GST?)
Best regards,

Hernán

Re: [Esug-list] [Pharo-users] Vote for the best Smalltalk book of the last 5 years...

hernanmd
Hi Noury,

2010/9/7 Noury Bouraqadi <[hidden email]>:

> Sorry Andreas. I don't see the conflict of interest.
> You cleary missunderstood the point.
>
> ESUG is just an engine for moving the Smalltalk community forward.
> The ESUG board will not decide which is the best book, this is why the vote is open to the community.
> Nevertheless, ESUG board members likewise other Smalltalkers can submit their work.
>
> We spent time listing books about Smalltalk.  And one of our conclusion is that the community is not very strong on this point, since we have only few authors (Andrès Valloud, Stéphane, ...). And we are lucky to have them.
>
> The goal of ESUG is to promote Smalltalk.
> Showing that  Smalltalk books are valuable and encouraging people to write is the point here.
>
> We want MORE SMALLTALK BOOKS!
> This is the message that everybody should remember.

I should disagree. I think we need more Smalltalk mentors. Here in
Argentina almost no-one is doing mentorship in Smalltalk. What about
other countries?
The problem is that mentoring involves mastering so many things
outside the computer (psychology, pedagogy, management, etc) that I
only imagine very few of them in the world.

Some books are fine, but they are too one of the most uncommitted ways
of "teaching". If actually I would buy a Smalltalk book, I would
choose one from somebody which has mainly built real working systems
with Smalltalk and not necessarily is the god of compilers, patterns
or software engineering. The highest coding skills doesn't qualify
nobody as a true master of pedagogy, not even give you automatically
good communication or social abilities.

Hernán

Re: [Esug-list] [Pharo-users] Vote for the best Smalltalk book of the last 5 years...

stephane ducasse-2
:)

But normally this is what do for research... with some success and failures
and we are mentoring people too by pair programming, reading code....

Stef

>> I should disagree. I think we need more Smalltalk mentors. Here in
> Argentina almost no-one is doing mentorship in Smalltalk. What about
> other countries?
> The problem is that mentoring involves mastering so many things
> outside the computer (psychology, pedagogy, management, etc) that I
> only imagine very few of them in the world.
>
> Some books are fine, but they are too one of the most uncommitted ways
> of "teaching". If actually I would buy a Smalltalk book, I would
> choose one from somebody which has mainly built real working systems
> with Smalltalk and not necessarily is the god of compilers, patterns
> or software engineering. The highest coding skills doesn't qualify
> nobody as a true master of pedagogy, not even give you automatically
> good communication or social abilities.
>
> Hernán

Re: [Esug-list] [Pharo-users] Vote for the best Smalltalk book of the last 5 years...

Frank Shearar
On 2010/09/08 04:46, Hernán Morales Durand wrote:

> Hi Ale,
>
> 2010/9/7 Alejandro F. Reimondo<[hidden email]>:
>>
>>> This is not specific to Smalltalk. The problem is the same with every
>>> programming language.
>>
>> We can't ignore evidence about people and corporations that
>> tried to spread horizontally Smalltalk and failed
>> during the last +30years.
>
> Management pedagogy practices are widely ignored in open-source
> communities, people here may ignore what do you mean with
> horizontal/vertical learning...
>
>> It is not the same as in "programming languages".
>>

> And I wonder why developers think in more in languages instead of
> systems (formal education? lack of interest in GST?)

GST here is Weinberg's General Systems Thinking? (as opposed to the
other gst - GNU Smalltalk)

frank

Re: [Esug-list] [Pharo-users] Vote for the best Smalltalk book of the last 5 years...

hernanmd
Hi Frank,

2010/9/8 Frank Shearar <[hidden email]>:

> On 2010/09/08 04:46, Hernán Morales Durand wrote:
>>
>> Hi Ale,

>>> We can't ignore evidence about people and corporations that
>>> tried to spread horizontally Smalltalk and failed
>>> during the last +30years.
>>
>> Management pedagogy practices are widely ignored in open-source
>> communities, people here may ignore what do you mean with
>> horizontal/vertical learning...
>>
>>> It is not the same as in "programming languages".
>>>

>> And I wonder why developers think in more in languages instead of
>> systems (formal education? lack of interest in GST?)
>
> GST here is Weinberg's General Systems Thinking? (as opposed to the other
> gst - GNU Smalltalk)

I mean "General System Theory" as coined by von Bertalanffy, although
many of the ideas were originated and associated with cyberneticists
(like Norbert Wiener). System theory explains in really interesting
ways concepts like dynamic equilibrium, self-regulation (or
homeostasis), positive and negative feedback. Their original idea was
stop attempting to understand the behavior of every element or part of
the system and start to focus in the general laws which apply directly
to systems. The explanatory model and discourse strategies has been
appropiated, reformulated and used in other areas like archeology,
biology, politics, epistemology and philosophy to name a few.

Hernán

On 9/8/10, Hernán Morales Durand <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi Ale,
>
> 2010/9/7 Alejandro F. Reimondo <[hidden email]>:
>>
>>> This is not specific to Smalltalk. The problem is the same with every
>>> programming language.
>>
>> We can't ignore evidence about people and corporations that
>> tried to spread horizontally Smalltalk and failed
>> during the last +30years.
>
> Management pedagogy practices are widely ignored in open-source
> communities, people here may ignore what do you mean with
> horizontal/vertical learning...

Could you please elaborate this a bit horizontal/vertical learning?
horizontal = among peers ? vertical = up and down the hierarchy?

--Hannes

>> It is not the same as in "programming languages".
>>

> And I wonder why developers think in more in languages instead of
> systems (formal education? lack of interest in GST?)
> Best regards,
>
> Hernán

Re: Vote for the best Smalltalk book of the last 5 years...

Ricardo Moran
You should add Diego Gomez Deck book "Programando con Smalltalk". It's in spanish so it may not be the most popular but I believe it's a very nice book (although somewhat old now).

It was the first smalltalk book I read and I learned the basics with it, so I'm very fond of this book :)

Regarding the book translations discussion I think translating books is very important. Even though you still need to understand english to code smalltalk I still like to read books in my language. If you get the infrastructure right I'm willing to help translating stuff to spanish in my free time.

Cheers
Richo