Fwd: Re[2]: Smalltalk: Requiem or Resurgence? {Dr. Dobb's Journal (05/06/06) Chan, Jeremy}

1 message Options

Fwd: Re[2]: Smalltalk: Requiem or Resurgence? {Dr. Dobb's Journal (05/06/06) Chan, Jeremy}

Schwab,Wilhelm K
Wilhelm K. Schwab, Ph.D.
University of Florida
Department of Anesthesiology
PO Box 100254
Gainesville, FL 32610-0254

Email: [hidden email]
Tel: (352) 846-1285
FAX: (352) 392-7029

===========================
CM>  I must admit, I've never understood why some are so
CM> concerned with native look and feel anyway.
I can't understand either but having done hundreds of software
trainings I know there is a significant number of software _users_ who
will not recognize a button if it's not grey and
===========================

You are getting warm: it's about the warmware.  But...

===========================
 ... like with M$.

I think it's the difference between people learning the rules and
people memorising examples.
===========================

It is not necessarily that pathetic.  Different users have different
needs, and there are many of us who for one reason or another spend some
time trying to meet them.  IMHO, native widgets are simply a
distraction.  A few options or hooks to configure the appearance should
someone want to do so would help.  The real need is in the feel
(keyboard and mouse interaction).

Rather than spend time arguing about how the UI should respond here or
there, we should look for ways to make the system reasonably
configurable.  Trust me, those who want all thing Redmond will go away
regardless of such changes, but it will help Squeak find new uses.
Whether that is best done by methods in the affected morph/widget
classes, more preferences, or a GUI policy class with a default
implementation I will leave to the gurus.  FWIW, I think I like the
latter option.

Bill